Archery Talk Forum banner

Watch Video then Vote: Should I Take An 80yd Shot?

• Yes - Go for it

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • No - don't take a chance on it!

Votes: 83 72.2%
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watch the video and tell me what you think. Should I or shouldn't I take an 80yd shot?

(Note...I found out after pulling the first arrow in the video, that one of the fletchings was trying to come off. The camera mic didn't pick up the odd noise too well on the first arrow, but I suspect it was because the fletching trying to come off.

BTW...I'm fully prepared to have my precious feelings hurt. So don't worry about it. Just want honest opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I wouldn't with that group, but hey, that's me and not you. Cool video btw!!! Thanks

also, looks like your anticipating the shot... Especially on the first shot u dropped the bow before the release.

Oh well have fun!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Didnt work for me...I got some little multicolored box thingy in the corner

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Unless you like chasing wounded animals, I wouldn't. You might shoot better with a single pin slider sight. Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
video won't play for me. I assume it's going to show some arrows smacking together from 80 yards??? Next time you shoot, have someone tie a rope to your target, then right when you release they will pull the rope to mimic the animal moving off.

I would suggest working on your hunting skills...playing the wind, choosing access to stands wisely, and learning more about the quarry you are chasing so you can get a confident shot opportunity and a humane kill.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
video won't play for me. I assume it's going to show some arrows smacking together from 80 yards??? Next time you shoot, have someone tie a rope to your target, then right when you release they will pull the rope to mimic the animal moving off.

I would suggest working on your hunting skills...playing the wind, choosing access to stands wisely, and learning more about the quarry you are chasing so you can get a confident shot opportunity and a humane kill.
An ethics beating non-shooter comment! Imagine that:pukey:

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Sorry the video won't play for you, and no the arrows definitely aren't smacking together.

But if you have questions regarding my hunting skills, you could try to explain your ideas to these elk I already shot at 30 yds & 40 yds.

However I have had opportunities at 70 & 80yds before which I passed on. But this new bow...is stinking awesome.

·
Lacking Gravitas
62,971 Posts
Looks like you can do it to me. I say go for it. I like the video BTW, but would have liked to get a better look at the equipment.

Nice Elk pics too! Congrats.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Just re etched the video in good quality(I was watching it on my iPhone at work earlier;)) and now that I look at the group again, I'd say your probably not too bad! Move up the pin and you will be pretty close.

·
Registered
665 Posts
yea i think the release sound was a little off but if you watch the arrow and the string he really is not dropping that bad. just a little bit but not that bad. i would have to say go for it just move that pin up a little..:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really like those VForce arrows. They seem to fly better than my Axis Nanos ...:darkbeer:

·
Registered
7,043 Posts

LMAO let me guess anything beyond 17.3 yards is unethical in your book.. Randy

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sure I should know this...but does LMAO mean Laugh My A&$ Off ???

·
Live with passion
7,328 Posts
I wouldn't, but not because you are not making a tighter group. I might say yes if they were say a 5" group, but you are nice and calm and shooting at a target. Put yourself in a hunting situation where you are not as calm so you might make a slight mistake, or. . . . . . . the animal move a little. The 80 yd distance is pretty far and a lot can happen from the moment an arrow is released until impact at that distance. Just a side note, you are grabbing a pretty big handful of that grip. . . . .loosen it up and rotate that wrist clockwise a little.:wink:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
That twang from the first shot tozer I think it was your flex gaurd! You better send me your bow! LOL j/k j/k

First I wouldn't take an 80 yard shot even if I could touch arrows all day long at the distance other than on prairie dogs and gophers! I wanted to bow hunt mainly to get close to the animal a thrill I only got to expierience when I started calling coyotes with a rifle. I enjoyed it so much here I am! When you draw your bow and that elk is in your sights it is you who will decide to release or to let down!

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

P.S I liked the video! :darkbeer:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm sure I should know this...but does LMAO mean Laugh My A&$ Off ???
ha ha yes it does:D group looks good to me by elk season it should be even better.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Watch the video and tell me what you think. Should I or shouldn't I take an 80yd shot?

(Note...I found out after pulling the first arrow in the video, that one of the fletchings was trying to come off. The camera mic didn't pick up the odd noise too well on the first arrow, but I suspect it was because the fletching trying to come off.

BTW...I'm fully prepared to have my precious feelings hurt. So don't worry about it. Just want honest opinions. Thanks.
No.Not if you have to ask.I would take an 80yd shot though.

·
Lowered expectations
15,629 Posts
No, you shouldn't take an 80 yard hunting shot. Out of 4 shots under perfect conditions, you had 1 in the vitals. I'd suggest you keep your hunting shots to distances and conditions where you're 90% or better.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i say go for it looked pretty good for 80 yards that was pretty good for fixed pin and that was the guickest release for such a long shot i have ever seen nice job

1 - 20 of 73 Posts