Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it’s been a couple years since I purchased any heads from VPA but this year the 125 1 1/4” fit the arrow combo I was looking for perfectly.

Two things, first off they have upped the sharpness from the factory. They are still not what I would consider hunting sharp but a lot less work to get there that in the past.

Second, since I last sharpened a VPA I have purchased a large wet stone with a medium grit on one side and fine on the other. It’s around 2 1/2”x8”. I used a smaller stone in the past this was a vast improvement. I suggest anyone who thinks sharpening a VPA is difficult pick a stone like this up, it made it super easy.

Can’t wait to get these heads in the woods this fall, and thought I would pass on my latest thoughts. Two thumbs up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
26,863 Posts
I picked up 6 of the 125 gr vented 1 1/4,I can get them razor sharp in about 2 minutes using a small little smith's double sided diamond stone...These are my favorite heads I picked up this year out of 9-10 other brands.They weigh in at 130 gr as well.

I like them better then the 2 blade 150 gr vpa and the 150 gr 3 blade non vented I bought.....Grizz

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I picked up 6 of the 125 gr vented 1 1/4,I can get them razor sharp in about 2 minutes using a small little smith's double sided diamond stone...These are my favorite heads I picked up this year out of 9-10 other brands.They weigh in at 130 gr as well.

I like them better then the 2 blade 150 gr vpa and the 150 gr 3 blade non vented I bought.....Grizz
I’ve been thinking about trying feathers, one of few arrow options I haven’t dabbled in. Any brand shape preferences?

Are the heads in your pick 125’s? mine look a bit different.

·
Premium Member
26,863 Posts
yes,they do look different.I use 3-4-5" feathers in all colors from three companies...I like 3" the best but really do not have a preference,other than the 5" are my least favorite.I don't have any preference on type either,I like a variety in life...Grizz

·
Premium Member
26,863 Posts
yes,they do look different.I use 3-4-5" feathers in all colors from three companies...I like 3" the best but really do not have a preference,other than the 5" are my least favorite.I don't have any preference on type either,I like a variety in life...Grizz
I bought them off here,they look like woodsmans 3 blade,I think vpa makes these as well?...I had the 100 gr before and they flew amazing.I am planning on ordering another 6 this summer,I just have not decided which weight yet.I may go 200 gr for the next batch for a new bow.I also picked up cutthroats,magnus,muzzy phantoms,2 types of slick tricks and 5 packs of wac'ems.I am looking at trying some black hornets as well,that may be the reason I pick up more 125 gr....as the hornets only come in 100-125 gr.

I have 6 of the 150 gr non vented,they sharpen as easy and fly almost as well but after 50 yards the 1 1/4" vented fly better for me,it isn't a huge difference but I can notice it,and I can hold my own with a bow in my hand and shoot a lot.I plan on having different bows setup with different broadheads this fall,2 for moose hunting...Grizz

·
Registered
562 Posts
Op has custom shop heads they are thicker from the bevel to vent. Grizz’s are originals. I’ve shot the customs a lot and killed and pile of hogs with them. Super easy to sharpen 280 600 1000 grit and strop. They won’t feel feel sharp after the 600 but I promise they’ll cut ya lol

·
Premium Member
26,863 Posts
I am going to try for a 800 gr arrow this summer with the 200 gr vpa up front...:darkbeer:.I wonder if I will break 150 fps from an elite hunter at 65 lbs,28".....:mg:

·
Premium Member
26,863 Posts
I may try either a .250 kinetic kaos,xx75 2317 or a fmj dangerous game with the 200 gr vpa....I may buy one of each to test from lancaster.....we shall see...It wont be for a few weeks a month yet....Grizz

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This year I’m going old school with the 125 and some xx75’s. I did add some weight behind the insert so I have a respectable 14.4% foc. They are shooting better for me that my blue streak selects with 18% foc. For 1/3 the price.

I love to tinker but the aluminum’s have me now.

·
Premium Member
26,863 Posts
which aluminum spine and what did you use to add weight to the insert?..I may try some 100 gr brass inserts from 3 rivers and use 2 of them put together with a piece of screw and glued together..I may try with a 2317 and 300-400 gr up front.....Grizz

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,187 Posts
I've been shooting the VPA 150s in 2 and 3 blade for a few years now. Great head. Their machining is dead on straight...and its a little different steel- it has some carbon in it that I think holds a better edge than some of the stainless heads. The 2 and 3 blades shoot to the same POI in both my recurve and compound- out to 60 yds anyway. The 150gr 3 blade is a wicked mofo....makes other heads look wimpy in comparison.

Easy to sharpen...try this; run a chock stick across them a few times per side stroking forward while they are on the end of your arrow [hold the arrow loosely about 6" from the head]....oh man it makes them popping sharp.

The only downside to these VPA's is you have to rub some vaseline or silicone on them when its raining and they will get a little bit of rust if you leave them exposed to wet for a couple days.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
which aluminum spine and what did you use to add weight to the insert?..I may try some 100 gr brass inserts from 3 rivers and use 2 of them put together with a piece of screw and glued together..I may try with a 2317 and 300-400 gr up front.....Grizz
I shoot a 60# xception at 28” 2314 shaft at 25.5” 125gr. Tip.

38gr. Screw added.

These arrows flat out shoot.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Always nice when a setup just stacks arrows like it’s on auto pilot. I shot around 50 arrows this afternoon and all but one 3 shot group came in like this.

Better than average at 25 but today it was

·
Premium Member
26,863 Posts
I will probably not get to 800 gr,but I am tempted to try some 2317 with 150 gr vpa and see how much weight i can get up front on inserts and screw in inserts.I have a few other aluminum arrow setups,2216 and 2219 already.I don't really want to spend a whole much more on arrows right now,I have a ton already built but may build a half dozen of the 2317 with 100 gr brass insert screwed into the rps insert and the 150 gr vpa....I may go with the gamegetters,not sure...Just because they are different than the camo hunters I already have....Grizz

·
Registered
43,151 Posts
Always nice when a setup just stacks arrows like it’s on auto pilot. I shot around 50 arrows this afternoon and all but one 3 shot group came in like this.

Better than average at 25 but today it was

Great shooting right here..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
26,863 Posts
I have looked into it and I believe I can reach 800 gr or a little over with a Black eagle rampage 150,175 gr worth of inserts and weights up front,150 gr vpa,footing,wrap,lighted nock and feathers....I am going to test this in the next few weeks....Grizz

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have looked into it and I believe I can reach 800 gr or a little over with a Black eagle rampage 150,175 gr worth of inserts and weights up front,150 gr vpa,footing,wrap,lighted nock and feathers....I am going to test this in the next few weeks....Grizz
Do you have OT2? It has worked really well for me as a solid starting point.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts