Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any negative things about them? I’ve heard the praises and I’m liking the 1 1/4 cut diameter models & how easy they are to sharpen. Anything negative?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've shot them for the past six years and haven't any major issues with them. They will be my primary head this year also, been practicing with a few the past 6 weeks and have them shooting well out to 40 yards, which is the furthest I've shot them this year. The only thing that was slightly iffy was out of the package sharpness, I would say they need to be touched up. However, If you like to sharpen broadheads they are one of the easiest types to sharpen. I did invest in their stainless steel models last year and unlike their normal steel I was very impressed with the out of the package sharpness of the stainless heads - would really like to see a 100 grain non-vented stainless.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I shoot Cutthroats which I believe are made by VPA and the quality of construction is fantastic. Cutthroat, being a single bevel, is even easier to sharpen and has a lifetime replacement warranty. If the edge gets chipped it will take forever to sharpen though, I had that happen and just had them replace it. Very hard steel which is great for edge retention.

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Prolly the easiest head in the world to sharpen . Lay it flat on a stone or strop and pull it back , flip repeat etc

·
Vendor
52 Posts
I started shooting some 175's three blades this year... . They have been great shooting for me. Can't wait to see the penetration and blood trails this fall! Their customer service has been great too.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The only downside is they are larger than some of the newer more compact heads making them a bit less forgiving.

The 125 1 1/4 is my go to fixed head. I like the 150gr 1 1/4 as well but when you hit that weight they are a really long head.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm using the 150 grain unvented head. They are tough, easy to tune and fairly easy to sharpen. I tried sharpening them using the flat stone and then leather strop but I could not get the edge I was looking for. To get them scary sharp and also have an edge that retains that sharpness I use a 4 step process. Right out of the package I run them over a flat file. From there I take a diamond crock stick and sharpen until they're shaving sharp. I then run a ceramic stick over them until they "sing". The last step is to run them over a leather strop with polishing compound. I also put a bit of chapstick on each edge to reduce corrosion. This is way more work than just opening a package and installing replacement heads but these things blow through whitetails like they ain't there. I hoping to put one through my first elk this fall.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Ive killed deer with the 125 vented and the 150 non vented 1 1/8. I can get them shaving sharp. I use a diamond plate and finish them with a high quality ceramic like Castle oak. I can shave hair very easily when done.

They fly very good. Have switched back and forth from VPA and Magnus. Magnus might fly a bit better. But these are no problem from a tuned bow. Not much too say about blood trails because my sample size is too small (3 deer) and all the deer went down in sight. That is a endless argument that is not totally predictable by just broadhead size. So I am comfortable with the 1 1/8 diameter. Im more concerned with flight ,overall toughness and how sharp I can get them than having the extra 1/8 of an inch. So I havent even tried the larger ones.

The non vented are the toughest broadhead Ive ever used. They last for a long time.
These are really good broadheads for the price. You cat go wrong with these heads. If I had to choose just one head these would be the ones.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I recently bought a 3 pack of 100 grain non-vented 1 1/8" 100 grain 3 blade VPA's. My bow is tuned (say that to start off with) and they fly excellent. The 100g 3 blade non-vented fly quiet and accurate. They sharpen easily, well made. I had to order them sight unseen (other than a picture) as no shop around here carries them. I was a bit surprised how short and compact the 100g non-vented model is. I was expecting a more robust head. My standby Magnus Black Hornet makes it look really small. Not sure I am going to hunt with them. I like the design and the construction, just wish it was a bigger cut diameter. Maybe swap these to someone who likes them for a couple Black Hornets or maybe even try a 1 1/4" cut VPA in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts