Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 134 Posts

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
14,131 Posts
there’s been a number of popped limbs on the V3s. So not surprised it continued on the V3X. The question is will it hurt Mathews like it hurt Bowtech.
People including myself still don’t trust Bowtech’s limbs after all of the failures in the Mid-2010s.
You are correct that there seems to have been a higher than normal level of limb issues with Mathews on newer models. Not sure if there is something to it or not.

While I understand the position on Bowtech it's no longer warranted or logical. They've not had any meaningful issues in years. Frankly I now trust Bowtech limbs more than many other brands, including Mathews.

I have a Bowtech Revolt X, Elite Enkore and Mathews V3x 33 all hanging in my basement. I will say the Mathews limbs are noticeably thinner than either of the other two. Elite might be the beefiest thickness-wise but they aren't quite as wide as the other two so they probably need to be.

As for whether it will "hurt Mathews"? Whether or not is should, I doubt it will. Nothing seems to hurt Mathews.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I am wondering if they hit the limb on something like the bow press off camera while setting the bow up that might have caused the limb to fail. Maybe it’s a clear example of a limb structure issue or maybe the full story was not captured in the video…🤷‍♂️
It appears to be split in the middle of the limb.

If that is the case my money is in bad lay up or dry layer.

·
Shootin and Cussin
25,515 Posts
Prime cycles their bows 100 times before packaging it up and sending it out. I think mostly for string stretch, but I thought that was some good quality control without having to do anything too stressful to the bow.
Yes they do. Just keep in mind that Mathews sells a LOT, A WHOLE LOT, more bows than Prime does.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
there’s been a number of popped limbs on the V3s. So not surprised it continued on the V3X. The question is will it hurt Mathews like it hurt Bowtech.
People including myself still don’t trust Bowtech’s limbs after all of the failures in the Mid-2010s.
Major difference in a surface splinter vs a catastrophic failure at full draw. Granted both situations result in an out of commission bow.

Would be nice if they could perform some type of proof testing in QC, but these splinters do not always develop quickly.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
It appears to be split in the middle of the limb.

If that is the case my money is in bad lay up or dry layer.
Almost everyone I've seen have been in that same spot. Right in the middle close to the limb pocket.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Hoyt Ventum 30
68 Posts
Glad to see an honest review. Would like to see an update on when the new limbs actually get there. Like he said in the video can happen to any brand. How a company handles the situation to me is critical. If I get poor or no customer service I drop the company and warn everyone about my situation. If good then I tell everyone about it also. That's why I'm a Vortex customer for life. Had an issue and the customer service was easy and fast.

·
Sultan of Smack
6,452 Posts
They didn't set it up, that's how the 29's were shipped, fully rigged.

Only the 29 was shipped that way. Fully set-up with all the accessories. Just the dealer box. All the rest will come the same as they always have...brown box.
The 29 had the accessories installed on the bow, but it still needed to be pressed as the rest cord had to be put into the cable.

SCFox

·
<------Reese
Mathews Sub-1 and KI Swat X1
18,129 Posts
They didn't set it up, that's how the 29's were shipped, fully rigged.

Only the 29 was shipped that way. Fully set-up with all the accessories. Just the dealer box. All the rest will come the same as they always have...brown box.
Darn. I might have bought the 33 just for that box…lol!

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm SS 70/30.5
235 Posts
So, I have read numerous reports of V3’s with cracked limbs and now a VX3 cracked limb, on a bow that was very recently released, maybe it is the beginning of a bigger issue than most want to admit. I think it’s funny that people still crucify Bowtech when they had a limb issue, yet when its Mathews it seems to be brushed off as no big deal. I know several people who had limb issues with Bowtech and Bowtech warrantied all of them. I’m sure Mathews will do the same, I’m just curious how big this issue really is, and what will come of it. I think it goes to show that limb defects, or defects in general can affect all manufacturers.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wonder if it’s because of how parallel the limbs are. I have a V3 and no issues yet.. fingers crossed. I’m diligent about checking every so often. There’s so much load on the limbs, I’m surprised they didn’t beef them up this year.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I wonder if it’s because of how parallel the limbs are. I have a V3 and no issues yet.. fingers crossed. I’m diligent about checking every so often. There’s so much load on the limbs, I’m surprised they didn’t beef them up this year.
I think this is more along the lines of the reasons. Add it how many people are pushing draw weights and very heavy arrows. These limbs are doing a lot more work than the longer ones of the past.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just heard from someone yesterday that had a top limb blow on a V33 out of the box on the third pull. Only had a D loop and rest.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Too many too fast that Mathews could just shrug their shoulders. They need to fix this but it will take at least one complete redesign...

21 - 40 of 134 Posts