Archery Talk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Do you think they should draw and shoot every bow a set number of times?
Yep..I believe that every manufacture needs and out the door final inspection..If they do what is it that they do?..I had a bow manufacture send a bow..Well out of the box we set it up..never could get it to shoot right..Problem two of the four limbs out of correct orientation from the factory..When a company has their mission statement I expect nothing less..

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm SS 70/30.5
144 Posts
I saw a guy on one of those threads that was on set of limbs #4 on his VXR
If that is true, and all sets were from defect, not user error, damage, etc. then I would have to say it seems like Mathews definitely has a limb issue that needs addressed. Hard to think that one individual could receive 3 sets of limbs without it being a pretty major defect issue.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Unless all sets came from the same batch, or he is the unluckiest archer ever….. it’s more likely that the shop isn’t unwinding the limbs and/or over-pressing the bows when peeps are fitted etc. If the shop does things wrong four times in a row on the same bow, then this could be the result. It happens a lot. Some don’t know and some don’t care. With some bows maybe you can not bother taking the specified Number of turns out and get away with it, but the Mathews limbs have a lot of preload.

If that is true, and all sets were from defect, not user error, damage, etc. then I would have to say it seems like Mathews definitely has a limb issue that needs addressed. Hard to think that one individual could receive 3 sets of limbs without it being a pretty major defect issue.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Yeah, but the POP is still there.
Yes it is
I honestly am kind of glad to see they posted the video the way it happened. I get no excitement out of seeing Matthews or any other company get put in a bad light however it does not surprise me that they have some problems with their limbs. I had a few older PSE’s that had limb problems no matter what poundage or draw length and I believe it was because of the amount of load put on the limbs.
It’s just nice to see that there are still people out there that are going to review a product and post the results no matter what they are.
Matthews is a great company and I am sure will warrantee any problems they have with their bows.

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
I love all bows, Mathews included. That said, no one can deny that there is MAJOR uptick in limb failures coming out of Sparta WI. Truthfully, I'm amazed there is not more with the massive amount of flex their limbs utilize.

It's odd (for me) to shy away from a Mathews due to a concern over limb integrity...never thought they would allow this.

The engineers know what the failure points are. I'm guessing the Switch weight mods have painted the team into a corner, so to speak. Great idea, but nowhere near as robust as a standard mod cam and massive limb flex.

You can't turn a massive ship around on a dime. Mathews is deep in the SW "rabbit hole". I have to believe that (without better materials, which don't exist) the SW mod system will have to go, or face a scenario like Bowtech manufactured.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
So, I have read numerous reports of V3’s with cracked limbs and now a VX3 cracked limb, on a bow that was very recently released, maybe it is the beginning of a bigger issue than most want to admit. I think it’s funny that people still crucify Bowtech when they had a limb issue, yet when its Mathews it seems to be brushed off as no big deal. I know several people who had limb issues with Bowtech and Bowtech warrantied all of them. I’m sure Mathews will do the same, I’m just curious how big this issue really is, and what will come of it. I think it goes to show that limb defects, or defects in general can all manufacturers.
I had a 2013 elite hunter that had a limb splinter.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Yes it is
I honestly am kind of glad to see they posted the video the way it happened. I get no excitement out of seeing Matthews or any other company get put in a bad light however it does not surprise me that they have some problems with their limbs. I had a few older PSE’s that had limb problems no matter what poundage or draw length and I believe it was because of the amount of load put on the limbs.
It’s just nice to see that there are still people out there that are going to review a product and post the results no matter what they are.
Matthews is a great company and I am sure will warrantee any problems they have with their bows.
Yep I can remember when PSE stood for Pull Shoot Explode. I was really looking forward to shooting this new Mathews but I think I will wait and see now.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Yep...I went down to the local archery today to get some woody's arrow lube...On the counter stood two VX3's..I was asked to shoot them and I declined said I'm going to keep my Traverse..I asked them if they saw the video this morning..So they went and watched it..I'm the same way I'm going to see how all this plays out..It's to bad because I heard that the VX3 33ATA is the 2.0 Traverse....After the number of posts on this thread about bad limbs really makes me wonder a bit...I do somewhat understand fatigue and failure..The question is now how common is it between one manufacture vrs another...

·
Registered
840 Posts
I mean really tho, how many are actually failing? Even if you had 1000 guys with broken limbs. And they all posted on YouTube and on here. (Which I feel is way higher than the actual number)...that's still less than 1% of the bows they say they sell. (remember reading about Mathews selling 300,000 bows/year probably including all lines/models). Even if those numbers are off, it can't be more than 1% of bows that are failing. And that may be shop error too. They warranty all of them. And they're solid shooters. I wouldn't let 20 guys on a forum steer me away from a specific bow if that's what I really wanted. Especially with just a handful of anecdotal stories. Does it suck if it happens to you. Absolutely. But if Mathews is what u really like then I'd take those odds. Shoot those are covid odds and most off y'all would deny a Mathews before you took the vaccine 😂 (can of worms opened!) Lol. Also, I don't shoot a Mathews. I would just feel the same way about my specific brand of choice

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Yep...300,000 at 1 percent is 3000..300,000 is 871 bows a day 365/7...Which would be failure rate of 8 bows a day...If the number of bows is accurate..Would the owner be OK with 8 bows a day going out knowingly have warranty issues accepatable to the brand..I'm trying not to go off the deep end here..but wow...I had no idea that that many bows was produced daily...Very interesting to me...I can understand now how easy a blemish makes it out the door ..Thanks for posting

·
Registered
188 Posts

Yep..It's near the end of the video..Bow was not drawn more than a handful of times..Dang the bad luck Mathews...
it’s unfortunate that it happened to us, we just the warranty limb and everything shot fine. I haven’t personally had any limb issue with Mathew’s bow. As far as posting I told the engineer that we paid to have this video filmed and edited already and he said I understand and such. Overall everyone is taking away from the fact a limb did crack, but what people should really look at is how quick and understanding Mathew’s is and how they treat their dealers.

41 - 60 of 134 Posts