Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This noise has been driving me crazy trying to find it last few weeks. I've loosened tightened everything. Short of relaxing the bow, breaking down, and lubing the limb pockets and bolts. I'm relectant to do that because i'm going hunting this coming week. Here's the kicker. It only happens on the very first draw after sitting for a hour plus. When I put it in my draw board it doesn't do it. I have verified this with draw board several days straight. Let it sit over night and put in draw board, no noise, draw it back to shoot and click or tick. It almost sounds like the arrow shaft hitting something. It's not, had my daughter take a video. I've also taken the release out of the equation by drawing it back with a handheld scale, still does first time only. I tried to upload the video to Imgur but it doesn't have sound so I could post it here. If anyone is interested in seeing the video I can send it to you and if you have an account or a way to post it here I would appreciate it. Thanks Hray

·
Registered
611 Posts
My buddy Wyatt’s bow did the same thing, so for a while he would draw it when he first got in the tree and then set it down lol. He ended up taking the bow totally apart as you said and lubing everything that could need lubed, when he reassembled it, It didn’t make the noise anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
This noise has been driving me crazy trying to find it last few weeks. I've loosened tightened everything. Short of relaxing the bow, breaking down, and lubing the limb pockets and bolts. I'm relectant to do that because i'm going hunting this coming week. Here's the kicker. It only happens on the very first draw after sitting for a hour plus. When I put it in my draw board it doesn't do it. I have verified this with draw board several days straight. Let it sit over night and put in draw board, no noise, draw it back to shoot and click or tick. It almost sounds like the arrow shaft hitting something. It's not, had my daughter take a video. I've also taken the release out of the equation by drawing it back with a handheld scale, still does first time only. I tried to upload the video to Imgur but it doesn't have sound so I could post it here. If anyone is interested in seeing the video I can send it to you and if you have an account or a way to post it here I would appreciate it. Thanks Hray
Shoot me a pm I’ll give you my number. I’d like to hear it. I’m pretty sure I know whatcha got

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PM sent

·
Registered
Right Turn Clyde
819 Posts
My VXR was doing the same thing, talked to a tech that works for Mathews on the comp bows. He said to make sure that the axel bolts were not over tightened or that it could be a "skinny" limb. It was not those things, but that is what he said. I was so frustrated because it would only be on the first draw(at the beginning of the draw cycle)-a little pop- then nothing until I put her down for a bit. I finally broke her down and pulled out the limbs and some crap had gotten in the limb pocket and was making the noise. I cleaned the pockets and re-lubed the limbs and put her back together. No noise, I was expecting to have a lot of retuning tweaks, but dead on, no changes made. If you have a day to put her in the press do so. I did that on a Thursday and killed one on the next Saturday.

·
Registered
Mathews HalonX 70 Lbs 28.5 draw 670 grain gold tip single bevel Tuffheads
858 Posts
Skip the first draw LOL

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My TRIAX does the same. Interested in what you find.
Spoke with Bbd16 on the phone. He said to pull the cams and roller guide off as a unit, break it down, lube and put it back together. Didn't think about puling off as a unit hence why I was reluctant to do. Anyways did it and the noise is gone, will update if it returns after it sits for several hours. Thanks Bbd16

Reactions: Bbd16

·
Registered
183 Posts
My Traverse made a noise coming from the limb pocket whenever the bow was cold. It would happen first draw only but with cold weather, it was more frequent. On the advice of the Mathews rep, my dealer pulled the bow apart and lubed the pockets. Helped for a few days then sound returned. Next, the rep had him gently file the limb edges to better fit the pocket (I wasn't crazy about this idea btw). Worked for a few weeks then sound returned. Finally, my dealer swapped out my limbs for free. No sound since the swap.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
My Traverse made a noise coming from the limb pocket whenever the bow was cold. It would happen first draw only but with cold weather, it was more frequent. On the advice of the Mathews rep, my dealer pulled the bow apart and lubed the pockets. Helped for a few days then sound returned. Next, the rep had him gently file the limb edges to better fit the pocket (I wasn't crazy about this idea btw). Worked for a few weeks then sound returned. Finally, my dealer swapped out my limbs for free. No sound since the swap.
He never lubed it in the correct place is my bet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
@ Bbd16, Very possible. Thoughts on why the limb replacement helped then? Subtle manufacturing differences within tolerance but just enough to be an issue?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
😆One reason I don't shoot Mathews

·
Read Only
0 Posts
My VXR had a bad bearing straight from the factory. Limb pockets we also noisy. Got new bearings and greased limb bolt and it was dead quiet

·
Registered
667 Posts
Lube under the limb adjusting bolt washers.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
@ Bbd16, Very possible. Thoughts on why the limb replacement helped then? Subtle manufacturing differences within tolerance but just enough to be an issue?
I’m not sure it just found the right spot I guess. I’ve had the same issue on lots of bows. Hoyt Mathews and bowtech. Hoyt was prob the worst. It was like every bow for many years. When I bring a bow home now the first thing I do is lube the pockets and like mentioned above between the washers on the bolt. I lube lightly everything that makes contact from the riser to the bolt, riser to the pocket and pocket to the limb. Idc what brand thats step one when the bow arrives at the house

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
It seems there are several guys who have this problem which is no surprise as I mentioned. If it will be helpful I can take my bow apart tomorrow and post pictures of where all the lube needs to be. About to send my traverse riser off to be changed to ambush green anyway 😬

1 - 20 of 22 Posts