Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Mathews VXR 28, CBE tactic hybrid 3 pin
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I’ve been following the Facebook groups and the posts on here: I’ve had my vxr for about a month and a half and have shot it 3-5 days a week. I barley had any peep rotation and timing and everything was checked two days ago and it’s great... is the new string necessary? I mean I myself and guys at the shop haven’t seen any wear or anything weird and the local shop said they’ve sold over 100 VXR’s and haven’t had a broken string or anything like that. They do sell gas strings and he offered to put a new one of those on to make me feel better but I just can’t justify another 150 on a bow I’ve got 1400 in already? Should I be worried enough to change it?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Alright so I’ve been following the Facebook groups and the posts on here: I’ve had my vxr for about a month and a half and have shot it 3-5 days a week. I barley had any peep rotation and timing and everything was checked two days ago and it’s great... is the new string necessary? I mean I myself and guys at the shop haven’t seen any wear or anything weird and the local shop said they’ve sold over 100 VXR’s and haven’t had a broken string or anything like that. They do sell gas strings and he offered to put a new one of those on to make me feel better but I just can’t justify another 150 on a bow I’ve got 1400 in already? Should I be worried enough to change it?
New strings are not necessary. My last four bows have all been Mathews bows with Mathews' Zebra Trophy strings. I have not had any issues with any of the original strings. I have replaced the original strings after 1-1/2 to 2 years on each as they start to get a little fuzzy but that would be necessary for any bowstring, regardless of who built them. Some folks claim that the original strings will not settle in, which may be the case for a few bow strings; but if yours are doing fine, then you must be one of the lucky ones, like me and thousands of other Mathews customers. My last two bows have been 60# so I'm hoping the strings will last a bit longer now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New strings are not necessary. My last four bows have all been Mathews bows with Mathews' Zebra Trophy strings. I have not had any issues with any of the original strings. I have replaced the original strings after 1-1/2 years on each as they start to get a little fuzzy but that would be necessary for any bowstring, regardless of who built them. Some folks claim that the original strings will not settle in, which may be the case for a few bow strings; but if yours are doing fine, then you must be one of the lucky ones, like me and thousands of other Mathews customers.
Thanks man. That’s kinda what I was wanting to hear to be honest. I mean I’ve seen some that are blowing apart and stuff but who knows what arrow weight they’re shooting or how they’re torquing the bow during the draw cycle and before the shot. This is my first Mathews and I’m in love but the string thing has worried me a little

·
Full Time Novice
7,392 Posts
I will tune mine with factory strings and make sure nothing changes then if i plan to keep the bow then I will install a new set of strings. It should be really close to tuned(i shouldnt have to shim) but typically replace all strings

·
Registered
9 Posts
New strings aren’t “needed” to hunt with but if you want peak performance there are a lot of aftermarket strings that are better quality .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New strings aren’t “needed” to hunt with but if you want peak performance there are a lot of aftermarket strings that are better quality .
Yea I know what your saying I just saw a couple posts about the stock zebra strings just randomly exploding and mine seem to have settled in good. Just didn’t know how common this string breakage was

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I put a set of Twisted X strings on my VXR before I ever fired an arrow. I don't like Zebra strings.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Zebra strings are good strings and once they have settled in, check to see if they move. If they do, maybe think of changing but not necessary imo. If you did half the stuff people said on this website, you would drive yourself crazy. Alot of guys just repeat what they here without testing it themselves. Try if for yourself and see. I doubt you will be disappointed with the Zebra strings but its possible.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’ve had no experience with the Zebra strings but I’ve heard multiple people tell me there crap and even my bow shop recommended me to automatically switch them out which I did to Gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts