Archery Talk Forum banner

Walk back or paper tune?

Walk back or paper tune?

2128 Views 44 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  fletched
what's your favorite if you only had one to choose?
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
17,332 Posts
I'll do both just to see but I still primarily rely on paper.

· Registered
5,756 Posts
Both!

· Widewater Hunt Club
9,411 Posts
I only paper test for nock height. For me walkback tuning is more realistic and I can trust it because I'm seeing it at those ranges 20, 30, 40, and 50 yds. I also group tune and broadhead tune, so to me they are all useful. If I could only choose one then it would be walkback tuning.

· Registered
3,990 Posts
for me paper is too finicky...can show bullet at 6 feet then at 9 feet a left tear...seam to always be chaising my tail. i have had bullet holes only to go out and walk back and find at 40 yards my arrows are shooting 4 inches off...so i paper tune for nock height as others have said...then walk back and broadhead tune...i still havent gotten bare shafts to fly for me ... but as long as my BH shoot with my field points i am happy...

Sorry that was a rambling mesage...your milage may vary and everyone uses what they feel gets them shooting the best.

· Registered
6,985 Posts
Both, but always start with paper then walk back.

· Bent Not Broken
3,451 Posts
Paper first. (3,12, and 20yds)
Walk back second (10-50yds)
BH tuning last (40-70yds)

· Registered
47,636 Posts
With only one available method I'd suggest anyone use paper. It shows 1000X as much as walkback does and as long as you're seeing clean holes at several distances and your sight is properly levelled you're just wasting your time trying a walkback tune anyway. It never does me any good afterwards, that's for sure. Besides, WB can lie to you if you don't use paper or a bareshaft first anyway.

· Registered
9,996 Posts
With only one available method I'd suggest anyone use paper. It shows 1000X as much as walkback does and as long as you're seeing clean holes at several distances and your sight is properly levelled you're just wasting your time trying a walkback tune anyway. It never does me any good afterwards, that's for sure. Besides, WB can lie to you if you don't use paper or a bareshaft first anyway.
I agree. I don't waste my time walk back tuning. If paper tuning is done correctly, walkback isn't neccessary. Walkback has beome popular because many people couldn't get good results paper tuning. So if you walkback tune, you can at least say your bow is tuned. I shoot fletched and bareshafts through paper. Shooting good groups is more dependent on using proper spined arrows that are consistent from arrow to arrow. Paper tuning is used to tune the arrow for good flight. Arrows that fly well will maintain better down range speed and energy. Paper tuning gives a lot of feedback about arrow flight and shooter form. I believe paper tuning is the best single method for tuning.

· Registered
4,803 Posts
I do both but every bow I have paper tuned with a perfect bullet hole I have not had to make any adjustments when I walk back tuned.

· Registered
2,797 Posts
I only paper test for nock height. For me walkback tuning is more realistic and I can trust it because I'm seeing it at those ranges 20, 30, 40, and 50 yds. I also group tune and broadhead tune, so to me they are all useful. If I could only choose one then it would be walkback tuning.
Same here!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.