Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for the record, I've tried walkback tuning, which I have to say has taught me a thing or two. First off, I've read a few suggestions/articles on AT concerning walkback tuning and gave them a shot. In more than one suggestion, I've read where:

1) the person should use the same pin at all distances and,
2) it doesn't matter where that arrow hits so long as you use the same pin, and same vertical alignment (i.e. hanging a string vertically on the target, etc.) thoughout the walkback session.

So here is what I think I've encountered. First, I would agree that the same pin should be used thru the walkback tuning process. Second...the pin is influenced by the level (if the sight has one), and the bow's vertical true level (the two, in theory should be in sync at full draw). That is to say if you cant the bow, and assuming you have the right centershot/sight level, it will still give you left/right impact downrange, depending on the direction of the cant. Fine, I think I get that, and have messed with the 2nd(?) axis to rectify it..to the extent I can, for my form, etc. Anyway, I think I get it.

The second part....i.e using the same pin, at walkback distances, regardless of where the arrow impacts. This one hasn't worked for me at all...I believe. So here is my thinking...assuming a bow is dead on for one's centershot, form,..and that the sight is level with the bow (i.e. sight/rest/bow are all aligned) - BUT the sight is NOT dead on (left/right) at the starting walkback distance (10yd, 20yd, or where-ever you started). If so, then walkback tuning may. Said differently, if you start at 10yds and you're off left or right by an inch or less, this will only be aggrevated the further back you go...eventhough your centershot, sight and bow level are optimum. Result, false reading on bow centershot.?

So what have I learned (or think I've learned)...bow level and sight level (i.e. working with the second axis) is a factor with individual form and shooting. And one needs to take it into account as you walkback tune. The second is that, when starting your walkback tune....whichever pin you choose and at whatever distance (10/20yds, etc.)....it better be dead on at that starting pin/distance combination. After that you can proceed with your walkback tune. However, if you change your rest and/or sight...you once again need to get your pin/sight to shoot an arrow dead on at your walkback tune starting distance. Conversely, if you don't start with your pin hitting the right vertical alignment..or spot on at your starting distance then you may get indication that your rest needs to move...when, in reality, you only need to kick your sight left or right to fix the issue. Again, that is what I think I learned....but. There always seem to be a but:eek:. Anyway, welcome the views and experiences of others.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Yes it should be dead on at your starting distance but even if it isnt it will still show you the same result. Even if your starting distance is off a little left or right , if it remains the same throughout the distances it will show the same as if it was hitting dead center at your starting distance. A vertical line is a vertical line whether it is centered or not.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The center shot is always a first estimation.

Set it the best you can. Set the second axis at your sight.(Leveling)

Go to 5-6 yards! Shoot on a dark vertikal string on a white card board.
(Back side of a target face or something else.)
Hit the string by setting your sight.
Go back to 20 yards, use the same pin and hit the string by setting your
arrow rest to the left or right, what ever is needed. Work in very small steps.

Go back to 5-6 yrads, hit then string by setting your sight.
Go to 30 yards and work with the arrow rest.
5 yrads - sight
40 yrads - arrow rest.

Done!

·
Back Yard Champion
30,019 Posts
Gotta agree with tman, Metrodix did a pretty good job. French tuning method is similiar, but we go back and forth between 9 feet and 50 to 60 yards and sometimes longer.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Gotta agree with tman, Metrodix did a pretty good job. French tuning method is similiar, but we go back and forth between 9 feet and 50 to 60 yards and sometimes longer.
I do that with my target rig. For FITA!!

5y - 20y
5y - 30y
5y - 40y
50y
60y
70y
80y
90y
100y

1 - 6 of 6 Posts