Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my friend hunt in the same state park we like to use 2 way radios to tell each other if anything is moving in their direction, decide when its time to go home or just let each other know when we have shot something. The problem we have is that we hunt about 1/2 to 1 mile away from each other, and the motorola frs radios dont seem to be making the transmissions. We hunt where it is very hilly. We use the earpieces also. I was just wondering if there is a better radio out there or are we just stuck with bad reception. Also neither of us have ham licsenses so we are limited. Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,591 Posts
Just asking, but if you're 1/2 to 1 mile apart, why does the communication have to be constant and instant?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,304 Posts
have you looked at the garmin rhino gps. they are a walkie talkie and gps rolled into one. also if you and your buddy are both using one it has peer to peer tracking wich tells you exactly where he is. a little pricey but well worth the money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
The rinos are both GPS and walkie/talkies, but they are also VHF (VHF won't transmit the GPS location of the sender). Most people I know who use these don't have HAM licenses either, but neither have the sent in the forms to allow them to "offically" use the VHF bands. It's really a simple thing, but most people don't sign up...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,624 Posts
myimpala1 said:
Me and my friend hunt in the same state park we like to use 2 way radios to tell each other if anything is moving in their direction, decide when its time to go home or just let each other know when we have shot something. The problem we have is that we hunt about 1/2 to 1 mile away from each other, and the motorola frs radios dont seem to be making the transmissions. We hunt where it is very hilly. We use the earpieces also. I was just wondering if there is a better radio out there or are we just stuck with bad reception. Also neither of us have ham licsenses so we are limited. Any suggestions?
What is the range of the radios you have?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
Radio's

Midland 650 vpi, claims 18 mile range over water, they are great radios, you wont be sorry, and 3 yr. warranty, hope this helps, go to cabelas if ya cant find any near you, later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,075 Posts
myimpala1 said:
Me and my friend hunt in the same state park we like to use 2 way radios to tell each other if anything is moving in their direction...
Maybe you have already done so; but, you should check your state's game laws. In Montana it is illegal to use any form of electronic communication for the above part of your post.


myimpala1 said:
...decide when its time to go home or just let each other know when we have shot something.
In Montana using electronic communications for the above part of your post is O.K. Like I said, I assume you have checked; but, I would hate to see someone get in trouble unnecessarily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
I hunt in some hilly terrain as well. As well as areas with dense pines. We have tried all grades of radios and some work better than others but at the distances your talking about either they will work or they wont no matter how nice they are. Cell phones are your other option just remember to set to vibrate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
Illegal as well in WI. Which I wish they would change. I used to use Motorolas with my boy when we are out. Not so much for communication on activities, but as a means if something where to happen.
We always carry our cell phones now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
Yes Sir!

speed1 said:
Midland 650 vpi, claims 18 mile range over water, they are great radios, you wont be sorry, and 3 yr. warranty, hope this helps, go to cabelas if ya cant find any near you, later
I have the Midland 550's 14 miles and they work great the 650s are this years model. I really like them better than my old Motorola's, the Midlands have more power and are alot clearer.:darkbeer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,136 Posts
It is illegal in Kansas to use radios for locating. tracking, etc of game. I use mine to advise if I have a animal down and to advise whom I am hunting with if I am walking to their location. I would check you local laws ragarding use of radios.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Don't need a HAM license for the radio or any functions

hunt'nforsanity said:
The rinos are both GPS and walkie/talkies, but they are also VHF (VHF won't transmit the GPS location of the sender). Most people I know who use these don't have HAM licenses either, but neither have the sent in the forms to allow them to "offically" use the VHF bands. It's really a simple thing, but most people don't sign up...

If anything on the Rhino required a HAM license or permissions only restricted to HAMs, you couldn't legally buy the radio without proof of a license. Not that all the retailers actually check for licenses, but if you are caught operating such equipment without a license, its a big no-no.

That said, I have friends who have bought the Rhinos and love them, but it uses, to my knowledge, the GMRS, which is itself a seperate license structure, all you have to do is I believe pay a fee ($75?) and you get a license, and it can cover your entire group. IE, he uses his for paintball, and anyone else with a GMRS radio playing on his team, can use his license as their own.

Also, you can't send in forms to get access to the HAM bands. Only way you gain access to HAM bands is to pass the licensing tests. If you could just send in forms for access, there'd be no point in HAM licenses. And the ARRL and other associated groups are fiercely defending what restricted bandwidth remains for HAM only use.

But in terms of range, if the FRS radios aren't cutting it, GMRS if you don't mind the license fees, would do the trick. Or, as someone else suggested, cell phones/text messaging? Could always go with a provider that offers the PTT walkie talkie features now-Sprint, Nextel, Cingular etc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well i bought the midland 650's today i will be trying them out on sat which is the start of early bow hear in nj. Ill let you guys know what happens
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top