Archery Talk Forum banner

Wall Tent Coat Rack (PVC)

5513 Views 13 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  milsy
Here in the Pacific North West we are known for our rain. It's nice to have a place to hang your damp clothes after a long day of hunting.
Here is the solution I came up with to handle the problem. It is made from 1.5" PVC pipe. The hangers are 1/2" PVC pipe. the unit is hung onto the wall tent frame using a standard eye hook that I bent open so it could slip over the 1" electrical conduit tent frame. it leans against the upright and that keeps the hanger pipes at a consistent angle. They worked so great that I now plan on building enough to have it run the entire length of the tent on both sides.

How I built it.
Cut the 1/5" pipe so it spans your vertical uprights of your tent
I installed the hooks and hung it on the frame. Then I fiddled with the angle of the hanger pipes to get it at an angle that looked good.
I marked that angle on the end and then clamped it in a vise so the angle was vertical.
I used a hand drill with a 5/8" spade bit to drill a vertical hole all the way through the 1.5" pipe. I know a spade bit is a clunky tool but it's not fine furniture for crying out loud. :)
Cut the 1/2" hanger piped to 6" long.
Slather the 1/2" hanger end with a liberal amount of PVC pipe glue and slide it into the 5/8" holes with 1/8" to 1/4"sticking out on the far side.
A liberal application of the glue again on both sides after inserting it makes sure a permanent bond is achieved.
I plan on gluing on a coupler to one end so I can daisy chain them together to create custom lengths.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stealing? who did I steal from?
Wouldn't really surprise me if someone else had done it. I may even have seen it and forgotten about it.

· Registered
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Watch out, the mice will hide in the pipe if it is not capped :cheers: Sorry, I worked in pest control for 32 years, I know what their capable of
See my other post on how I dealt with he mice, and thanks for the warning!

· Registered
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got a chance to see it first hand nice work man.......
Hey Chris
You left your root beer in the creek I hope you don't mind me taking care of that for ya :)
By the way congrats on the cow Elk, I was impressed you were able to pull it off with the five thousand other hunters in the woods. Give my best to Max.

I managed to see 6 or 8 on the second to last day. I was able to get within 40 yards of them but just couldn't find a opening.

I have another rack that hangs over ht stove area I'll post that up here in a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.