Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am currently shooting a Viper 1 3/4" housing with the 4x lens, a small black dot and a clarifier peep. I am only shooting at 20 yards indoors at the moment and I was looking for opinions and advice on different options.

Would going to a smaller housing help with improving accuracy?
What about increasing the lens to an 8x? Besides seeing more movement or jitter what would change and how would that affect accuracy?
Would increasing my dot size help or hurt? What other changes could I expect if I increased my dot size?

I understand that accuracy starts with form and repeatable shot execution which I am working on, but I am trying to assess my equipment and wondering how different size scope, larger or smaller dot, or higher magnification lens would help or hinder my accuracy. Any and all help is appreciated!

·
Registered
19,050 Posts
All questions that are pretty much personal, all depends what works best for you 7 your eyes. Trial & error.

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
23,094 Posts
Hello
Wouldn't think of going to 8 for indoors. Also if you go to a 6 power Len's you will need to increase the size dot on the scope Len's.If not the dot seems to wash out.
Yes I have found that a smaller scope housing works better for me. Light on a bigger Len's fades some.
You can actually take a 1 inch scope housing line it with the target circle. [ Later

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I said I understand that pretty much everything in archery is personal feel. It can be said for anything, bow, sight, stabilizers etc. Still generic opinions help us people who do not have thousands of dollars to drop of equipment. I am looking just for generic opinions on what I can expect by making a change from what I have.

There are 9 or more sizes of scopes, so to someone who has no idea it is just pick one and keep picking one until you are happy or isn't there some sort of generic guide that a larger housing will provide X while going smaller on the housing does Y. Same thing for all my other questions, I am looking for general advice from people with mroe experience than myself, those people who have tried out different types of equipment and what they felt.

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/blog/archery-shooting-with-a-scope/

Above is a link to an article that may help out a bit.
Thank you for the article link. Very informative. This is the kind of information I am after. I was just given stuff at the start and it was here use this. No rhyme no reason so my logical next step question is where do I go or what do I try from here. Is what I am using the best I could be using etc etc. Hence why the search and asking of questions to gain knowledge and make educated decisions on what to try next or what to improve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts