Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shooting compound for years. I want a new challenge. I really like the look and functionability of the Hoyt Game master.
I shoot 26.5" for DL with a release. How do i go about figuring out what DL i would shoot. Is the corner of the mouth the typical draw stop area?
I shoot 61lbs right now, very comfortable. I was thinking 55lbs for the bow.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The reason your 61# is very comfortable is because you are not holding back much weight. If your bow has a 80% let-off, you are holding back 12.2#. If it has a 65% let-off, you are holding back 21.35#. 55# to start with on a Traditional bow is a lot imho. I use a corner of the mouth anchor but the anchor can vary from person to person. The best way to figure out your dl is to pull a traditional bow back to where you think you will anchor and have someone mark the arrow at the point where it reaches the back of the bow (the side away from you).

www.bowmaker.net tuning section
To measure your draw length, draw the bow and have someone mark the arrow on the back side (the side away from you) of the bow or clip a clothes pin on the shaft and slide it down the shaft till you reach full draw, then measure from the throat of the nock to that point.

·
Registered
76,761 Posts
Well yer gonna git a lot of orthopedic advise here about poundage, but you're likely to have a different drawlength with a recurve.

Most shooters that actually hit their targets consistently will suggest that anchor is your most important aspect of shooting a recurve/longbow. No anchor, no shot. Bone on bone... behind the jaw, under the jaw with some other "notch" point... lip, corner of the mouth whatever, must be consistent, for me my thumb behind my jaw works and a split finger hold and release.

With a compound, you can struggle and pull through much more poundage than you can with a recurve/longbow... GENERALLY. This is why you get a crecendo of voices suggesting that you might want to start with at least a 20% reduction of weight going from compound to recurve. Whether this is rational is why we have forums.

Much Aloha... :cool: :beer:

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
couldnt agree more on the weight and anchor point. If you are going to shoot 10,000 shots a year like I do, a bit lighter weight will be your friend over time. Also multi point anchor just like with the compound is also a path to consistancy.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Listen to the advise here on this page.

I am a newbie at traditional too...I shoot a compound at 62 lbs and can shoot all day long...and can pull a 70 lb compound for hunting with no problems.
I bought a 45 lb recurve and after 50 shots I am pooped out. Its going to take awhile to build up to a 100 shot day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts