Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for advice, not a sale opportunity - in the market for a pre-owned bow. I'm budget conscious, always thought owning a Mathews would be fun. I realize to save money I'm probably looking at a discontinued model. That said, my goal is to get a single-cam, quiet, and smooth bow that shoots well fast enough to be relatively flat for a few yards. I thought I'd put it to the forum to help me determine whether a discontinued Mathews is still a good bow, and which model remains competitive as far as features. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
If your looking for an all around good 3d and hunting bow, then you're going to want the switchback or switchback ld. This is what most Mathews fans will agree is one of the best bows they ever made. You can pick them up in the classifieds for 400ish.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Alot of people still like the Mathews Switchback. Great Bow. The Drenalin LD is one fine Bow. I really like the Reezens, either the 6.5 or 7.0. The Reezens will probably be about 15-20 feet per second faster. All can be bought in Classifieds here for 350.00 to 450.00 tops.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may repost. Title is misleading My bad. I'm not looking for the bow, I'm wondering what bow to look for. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Switchback over say a Drenalin or Reezen (7.0)? Whay did the Reezen come and go so quick. I was told by my bow shop they were harsh to pull?

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
First thing is you need to find a few to shoot.If oyu do not shoot one, you will not know what you are getting into. Do you really want to spend money on something you may or may not like?!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good point. That has my experience for the two bows I have owned so far.

But what was the deal with the Reezen series?

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Don't over look Quest line of bows or Ross both great shooters and around 300 bucks loaded a

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I bought a Reezen on ebay and love it. Average price for a complete setup around $550. I'm talking Sight, rest, everything.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I 1st would say dont get hung up on a brand,its nothing but a name. There are several companies that make fine single cam bows.
Mathews is just one of them,having said that I have owned a legacy,Switchback,& now shooting the Reezen 6.5 all are very nice bows. All are very capable of killing game.

My Mathews choices would be
1. Reezen 6.5
2. Reezen 7.0
3. Switchback xt

Who ever said that a Reezen had vibration or hand shock ,I would like to Extend the invatation to come shoot mine. They have obviously never shot one, & would be surprised how dead ,silent, & Fast these bows are.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another good point by QuickReflex . I've shot many, many bows in the pursuit of the other two I eventually bought (Martin MOAB, and now a Bear Attack - love the Attack). That said, I've wanted to own a Mathews because I prefer a single cam, smooth bow with an accomodating brace height.

I initially thought I should look at a Reezen 7.0, but wondered how a company introduces, then gets rid of a model so fast.

My main concerns are smooth draw and being quiet. Speed is what it is, a necessary component of KE, but certainly not the be-all-end-all.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a switchback, owned the swback xt, and have the reezen. I like them all and wish I hadnt sold the xt. Reezen is a little stiffer on the draw but has better speed. If you shoot it enough you wont even notice and I dont recall hand shock either.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Switchback xt

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why the Switchback xt over the Switchback? And either of these over the Reezen?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts