Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an older safari custom, i believe it is an 04, it is a beast to say the least, old and inefficient but can still huck a small spear. currently it is set to 115, but will crank down to atleast 130, scale did not go high enough, i am not impressed with the solocam design and would like to know if anyone can recommend some highly efficient cams i can put on this and the appropriate string changes i will need to do.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
what are you talking about exactly? cams from another bow company?? and then the nightmare of trying to fing string lengths....and then hoping that your limbs still get 130lbs....and, that's assuming cams from another bow company even fit....what you want doesn't really make any sense, your kindof stuck with what you got. If your not impressed with the efficiency of 130lb bow, well I don't exactly know what to tell you there, your gonna be among a really, really small crowd.

·
Oblivious to the Shills
2,498 Posts
You put dual cams on those limbs and it will draw close to 200 lbs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sometimes you have to get outside the box.

How does it not make sense? I would like to know if you can put different cams on this bow? If it is possible then i would like to tinker around with it.

If the draw weight goes up then so be it. It is nothing a bit more persistence can not overcome

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I think your scale is on the fritz............ I also have an 04 Safari bow BUT DW will go to 102 lbs MAX! Never heard of one going to the poundage you are saying yours is at!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
scale is on, one of the previous limbs delaminated so i had the shop order the heaviest ones that could get, the old man came through in spades. The shop guys did not believe i could shoot it, its amazing what technique and muscle can do, so we stacked a target infront of another target and proceeded to play. they could not believe how quiet it was.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
So can you ever find your arrow after it passes through a deer and buries into the ground half way to china? :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
yeah that one problem, but its kinda like driving a big truck, its there when you need to haul your house :)

·
roll tide roll!
3,652 Posts
im not doubting you when you say you have 130 lb limbs, but ive personally never seen 130# limbs, as far as thinking outside the box that is great i believe anything can be modified, it is simply trial and error which can sometimes get very expensive. but if money is no object then no worries, can you put a different bow cam on a bow ? sure you can with light to heavy modification shaving the limbs possibly changing axles and or bearings or eliminating something else, or creating something else ( i dont know) strings can be built accordingly, will letoff (if any) be a factor? of course! also you have to keep in mind that your weight will probably change when changing things..... good luck with this monster! please post pictures of it!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks stewart76, Im mainly wanting to tinker and test the limits. the bow is built like a hoss, just stepped outside and shot it and the GTO a few rounds. called in sick tonight so im home bored instead of teaching, and decided that i want a project to play with and start mapping out in my head. figured think big

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TtT

anyone have equations to help determine string length?

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Be very careful. Not all cams would hold up under that much weight. If they folded It would get interesting in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If the cam it has now is smooth to draw---just heavy---then you need to consider the fact that when you make it more efficient, you will also make it more critical to tune and it's affect--trading a dependable nock low drive for a high/low sensitivity that may make it hard to shoot well for more than one session---strings that will work and fit the cams at those cable pressures----the flight shooters will have experience with those weights--sounds like fun, just way out of my league-
Cec

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
what are you talking about exactly? cams from another bow company?? and then the nightmare of trying to fing string lengths....and then hoping that your limbs still get 130lbs....and, that's assuming cams from another bow company even fit....what you want doesn't really make any sense, your kindof stuck with what you got. If your not impressed with the efficiency of 130lb bow, well I don't exactly know what to tell you there, your gonna be among a really, really small crowd.

is 1 a crowd?

why not just go to a full size speer and throw that,, i think it would be more fun.....

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
Put some binaries on it stay away from cam and a half way to much weight on the buss cable with those limbs. Careful with limb twist you don't want it exploding or derailing on you...

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
With the centered nocking point and berger hole on that riser you're limited to other single cams, binary cams or true dual cams. Most hybrids are designed to have the BB-hole and nocking point above center, but not all.

To figure sting and cable lengths you just have to compare specs of the cams the bow came from and your bow. Then add or subtract the difference in ATA length. And remember that if the cams come from a bow with a 6" brace and yours has a 7" brace the cams will produce an inch more DL than they did on the short brace bow.

So Frankenstein away and have fun with it. You can do it, it's just hard to say what you'll end up with.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
is 1 a crowd?

why not just go to a full size speer and throw that,, i think it would be more fun.....
Got a buddy in AK playing with atalatl's, wants me to get accustomed to the motion and develop the throw and see what kind of numbers we can get out of it. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Put some binaries on it stay away from cam and a half way to much weight on the buss cable with those limbs. Careful with limb twist you don't want it exploding or derailing on you...

if i switched to binaries what would be the key points to keep an eye on?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With the centered nocking point and berger hole on that riser you're limited to other single cams, binary cams or true dual cams. Most hybrids are designed to have the BB-hole and nocking point above center, but not all.

To figure sting and cable lengths you just have to compare specs of the cams the bow came from and your bow. Then add or subtract the difference in ATA length. And remember that if the cams come from a bow with a 6" brace and yours has a 7" brace the cams will produce an inch more DL than they did on the short brace bow.

So Frankenstein away and have fun with it. You can do it, it's just hard to say what you'll end up with.
is the difference in ATA a straight across number? or will it be a guesstamation?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Got a buddy in AK playing with atalatl's, wants me to get accustomed to the motion and develop the throw and see what kind of numbers we can get out of it. :)
are you one of those role play, dungeons and dragons folk? I know they have a techinical term, just can't think of if

1 - 20 of 87 Posts