Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard horror stories about these bows but don't know anyone that has actually had one of these bows. The prootional stuff sounds compelling but was hoping to get info from those with hands on experience.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
Hard to say, several years ago, I saw alot of them at the shop where I was a staff shooter. They seemed to be "the most speed" for you buck type bows. Some people liked them, some people said they were poorly made but that was usually people shooting other brands. I don't recall our head service guy saying anything out of the ordinary about them.

I haven't seen much from them lately-I can't recall but one bow being brought into our shop in the last two years-that was for a string. I don't even remember the guy shooting it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Two of the guys I shoot with both shot Four Runners, and they both had problems with them.. I personally haven't ever owned one, but what from I've seen, they usually have good speed, but are a little on the noisy side... I would buy a used bow from one of the big four(Mathews, Hoyt, Martin, PSE) before I'd buy a High Country new, for the same amount of money...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
well this is my opinion i live about 10 min. from where their plant is and not many people around here shoot them because they know about all the problems that they have ( bad risers, bad cams,different limbs.... ect ) i had one of the carbon 4runner extreme's and the riser cracked so i sent it back and they rebuilt the bow with a different riser ,but it had different cams on it ( i had the good cams ) so i sent it back again then i got it back with one set of 60# limbs on the top and 70# on the bottom so i sent it back again when i finally got my bow rite i sold it and now you couldnt pay me to shoot a high country bow . so my advise to you is to run as fast as you can from high country bows they are not worth the trouble to me .

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I just sold my High Country Hunter, it was an excelent bow never had a bit of trouble in the 18 years I owned it. The bow was built when High Country was in Lewiston, Idaho.

The dealer I bought it from no longer carries the HCA line, he says that their customer service is very bad, they had refused to replace limbs that had failed on his personal bow (claimed it had been dry fired).

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a High County Power Force X1 that I've had 3 years with no troubles at all. I have killed multiple deer with it and it's a very fast shooting bow. I just bought a new Mathews LX so my brother is now going to shoot the High Country bow. This is the bow that Outdoor Life gave the Editor's Best Value award to last year or the year before (I can't remember which year it was). No complaints here.

clattin

·
Registered
139 Posts
No problems here

I own a H.C. Power Extreme Pro ...a single cam..ata 36", bh 6 1/2" , speed with 416 gr hunting shaft ( ics hunter 340 ) is around 255 fps. at 65#. 28 dl.
It's an entry level bow, but fast and fairly forgiving.. With it I out-shot plenty of guys with Mathews and Hoyt...etc on 3d and Dart systems. I had a good teacher. Good form = accuracy, not brand name.
I've had no failures with this bow other than re-serving and yes I do shoot off the string. Nor have I seen any come in for warrenty work other than one split limb model.
It's been a fun bow to shoot, brought home a good bull elk with it in 02, haven't had a crack at a deer or turkey yet.
I've moved on from the H.C. and it is now my backup bow to a Hoyt UT, because the Hoyt is smoother, faster, lighter and more forgiving and refined.
See what your money will buy and shoot all you can in that price range, judge for yourself..buy the one that you both shoot the best and pleases your eye. It's supposed to be fun. :cool: blacktail

·
Registered
172 Posts
My last HC was in about 1996 or 1997.
I had a Machined Supreme & Z-Force they were both great bows, I never had a problem with them.
I did mess the Machined Supreme up myself though, I cranked it down on a pourly made bow press and cracked the bottom limb, I brought it into the shop and the guy called HC while I stood there and told HC what I did and they sent the shop out a new set of limbs no-charge.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I shot a 1999 Ultraforce for two years. It was a good bow, fairly fast, shot well, and I always liked the looks of their narrow split limbs. I didn't need to use their customer service, so I can't comment on that. The horror stories kind of scared me away from them, but personally I didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
621 Posts
HIGH COUNTRY

I started out a with High Country. I shot them exclusively from 92-99. I ended my business with them when they went all carbon. My first carbon riser cracked inside 2 weeks. The dealer handed me a new one off of the rack and it was already cracked in the same place as was a second bow off of the rack. High Country put all their eggs in one basket with the carbon bows-a bad mistake. They are fast, but unforgiving, with alot of handshock. At this point I would not accept one if it was given to me. There are just too many really great bows on the market to waste time with HCA.

·
Registered
852 Posts
We used to sell them in the late ninties but stopped because of their poor customer service.
They shot well but we had problems with them such as the carbon cable guards breaking, Vibraflex armour cracking but the real problem for us was the finishing on the hatchet cams.
The main string would wear at the point it would leave the cam. We found the string groove had not been machined out properly and the groove narrowed at this point. It was narrower than the string so something had to give and it was the string.

When we contacted them about it they said to get a chainsaw file and file out the string groove. They would not replace them.
We had this problem with most of the bows in our first order.

What I couldn't believe was the fact the same problem still existed when our second and third shipments arrived some months later. Their response was the same, use the chainsaw filie.

There were warranty issues on limbs as well. In fact we still have a set of limbs to be replaced under warranty outstanding.

We still have the chainsaw file but no High Country bows.

I do not know what they are like now but reading some of the posts I do not believe things have changed much.

Go for a brand that offers good customer service. It appears all of the larger companies do. I can only vouch for PSE and Hoyt, they are both very good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts