Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted to custom paint a bow in a solid color like my hunting clothes. Never could find the right color or the right bow. Think I have finally found both. Having earned several HTRs, and shot to them very well, I decided to go ahead and make one the way I wanted it. The color is a two-part custom mix of Cerakote. Looks better in person than in the photos. Can't wait to get the strings so I can shoot it.

What do you guys think?

Travis S.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Way to go man! It looks great! HTR is my fav bow of all time!

·
Hunter of many things
12,132 Posts
First Lite approved! :thumbs_up

Did you spray that on?

What color strings are you going with?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Looks Great! Is the creacote a aerosol spray or is it a brush application?

·
Premium Member
26,859 Posts
I like it,I always wanted to try the no-cam, and a co-worker purchased one last winter.I shot it a bit and i liked it.I would pick up a LH 60lber in the classifieds this winter.How long do the dl run on them?I may need to go with a 27.5" as i am a 28"....Grizz

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
Prime came out with a solid gray color on some of their bows in '17 and I think it is the ugliest option.....maybe ever. To me it looks like auto paint primer......just NOT my style I guess. Odd thing is that I have owned and shot several black bows, including my current shooter....and Obsession Phoenix XL....so being one color is not the issue. If you like sand, you did a good job OP. Not sure I would change my black bow for that color, but obviously tastes are personal.

·
DCA Custom Arrows
225 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cerakote is a very tough spray on finish that is impervious to any harsh chemicals including some acids. There are two types of Cerakote, oven cure and air dry. Oven cure is extremely durable but limits its application to things that can go in an over at 250deg for 2 hours.
Process is very time consuming and can be difficult. Strip down bow and sandblast all parts to be painted. Wire everything so it can be hung in an over after painting, or just air dry, depending on which kind you are using. All parts then have to be dipped in acetone to remove any oils that would prevent the Cerakote from sticking. Spray on the Cerakote and bake or let dry then reassemble the bow. Honestly it sounds easier than it is. Spraying something as intricate as the HTR riser is a major undertaking with all the square holes and odd angles.
Some parts are not able to go in an oven due to the high temp, so air dry is used instead of the oven cure.
And no, I can't do a bike. In fact I don't do Cerakote much anymore. I used to do it as my full time job.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, the limbs don't get sandblasted. Just a light sanding and wiped with some acetone.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I really like it!

"the no string HTR"

make sure to post a pic when you restring it, well done

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup, waiting on the strings are killing me. Heck, I'm also still waiting on the correct draw mods too.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I like it,I always wanted to try the no-cam, and a co-worker purchased one last winter.I shot it a bit and i liked it.I would pick up a LH 60lber in the classifieds this winter.How long do the dl run on them?I may need to go with a 27.5" as i am a 28"....Grizz
You won’t be disappointed buddy. Finest hunting bow I’ve ever had.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts