Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the mornings getting cooler, we're always looking for ways to stay warm in the treestand (especially when the wind is blowing). I've got a good cushion to sit on and electric hand-warmers to take the edge off. What works best for you?

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,215 Posts
Those little hand warmers work wonders, put some of those in your boots above or below your socks and toss a couple in your pockets or handwarmer. Those are life savers!

and don't skimp on boots, if your feet get cold your hunt is going to be over soon......

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Keep your neck covered well and wear layers on your head, two knit hats instead of one or a good hat and a hood..

·
Registered
405 Posts
Boots!

I totally agree about keeping the feet warm. I have a very hard time keeping my feet warm. I've had more success lately with insulated rubber boots.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Feet, head and neck are the keys, well beside body trunk.

I put one of those chemical hand warmers in my hat, works great. Also a hood, or at least a long turtle neck to cover the back of your neck.

Good boots, I've never had much luck with the hand warmers in the boot, they need air to stay warm.

--Bob

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have found if you put plastic bread sacks on your feet and rubber band them off at the top. Of course you put them over your socks then into the boots.:smile:

Fleece neck gaiter and layers....on cold mornings and afternoons I will put on some poly-pros, or a pair of sweatpants along with a sweat top or poly-pro top. Then I will add my hunting clothes over those...keeps me just right.:shade:

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
I bought down filled camo coveralls. I put it on up the tree and roll it up like a sleeping bag to carry in/out. Never got cold at all. Those disposable hand warmers help too. Slip over boot warmers with a disposable heater in it. Good head gear and warmers in the pockets for my hands. I never got cold last year at all.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
The biggest key to staying warm on the stand is not to get sweated up getting to it. Moisture will make you cold quicker than anything. Get rid of any cotton clothing. The synthetics will keep you most warm. As far as the piece of clothing that seems to make the most difference to me, its the neck gaitor, hands down. You can wear all the layers you want, but if your neck's exposed, that cold air is going to get into those layers and freeze you out quickly.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I agree....keep your head, neck, and feet warm.

One tip I would add with layering is to pack in as much of your gear as possible so you don't work up a sweat getting in, and get dressed when you get to your stand.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Layers!!

Dress in layers, I start with underarmor cold gear mock t., silk sock liners and expd. weight socks by Patagonia. Jacket and pants by Patagonia fleese, and then my outer gear. Somthing usually gor-tex. When it is really cold(muzzleloader) I have bibs and a parka by 10x and sometimes I add another fleese pants and shirt.

A little secret for keeping your feet warm:
Not sure if it is just me but my feet sweat really easily, and wet feet = COLD. So I started putting deoderant on my feet, unscented, antipersperant works best. Usually womens brands work really well!! I just use a little of my wifes before I head out. Shhhh don't tell!!:secret:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The neck gator, a good hat and in the cold Michigan winter I don't think I could get by without my hand muff with 2 heater packs inside. If my fingers and hands stay warm I tend to shoot better.

·
Registered
345 Posts
A good tip to keeping your feet warm is to put carpet on the top of your stand. This also helps from the noise of mud dropping off your boots, if you drop somethign it doesn't make as much noise and doesn't fall to the ground and if it is extremely cold and your boots get wet, it will keep them frrom sticking/freezing to the stand.

·
Registered
524 Posts
WoodyH28 said:
I have found if you put plastic bread sacks on your feet and rubber band them off at the top. Of course you put them over your socks then into the boots.:smile:

QUOTE]

Mom? Is that you?

They have to be Wonder Bread bags or this doesn't work.:D

·
First name's Chad
692 Posts
buckfeverben said:
I agree....keep your head, neck, and feet warm.

One tip I would add with layering is to pack in as much of your gear as possible so you don't work up a sweat getting in, and get dressed when you get to your stand.

I started doing that after learning the hard way. Enen just the slightest bit of moisture and your going to get cold.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts