Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, gave my Bowtech Assassin 70lb to my 17yo. I picked up a used Bear Attack to get through season for cheap......and just set it up myself with stuff I had on hand and shot it at 65lb. Loved the lower pull weight, and killed a deer this year with that rig.

Now I want to get me a new bow, and I am thinking of dropping to 60lbs. I hunt whitetail mostly, but I do hunt western game every other year or so. 65lbs felt so nice on my shoulder that 60lb may be a joy to shoot again.

I don’t like super short bows, but I do like speed at a reasonable brace height. Nothing below 6in brace height.

What would be your top three bows that I should go take on a test drive?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a little more info. Favorite bows from the past were Switchback XT, and Bowtech Assassin. Both were 70lbs. Should was tweaked two years ago letting down the Bowtech, so that’s why I am thinking about dropping to a 60lb rig. Switchback was smooth and Assassin was fast, is there something that combines smooth drawing and speed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ATA at 28” is a big concern, not sure I like those little bitty ata bows. Is string pinch not a massive issue with a 28” bow?

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
Whats your draw length? makes a big difference in what ATA you will be comfortable with and where you fall on a cam. The best bang for the buck is the PSE Evolve IMO comes in 31" and 35". I really like the accuracy/hold of the Prime Centergy 33" ATA and Centergy Hybrid 35" ATA. There are lots of factors when choosing a bow, New or Used? Can you work in it/have the tools?

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Where in MS are you located? I shot Evolve 35 and it’s a sweet smooth shooting bow. I like the Halon 32 and the bowtechs new offerings. I’ll sell you a Nitrum Turbo, it’s 65lb and shoots good, can drop to 60 and it’s smooth as butter.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I would shoot the Triax, evolve, and the Reign or Realm from Bowtech. You can’t go wrong with any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I have to second on the Evolve. I just love mine. The Obsessions are great shooters as well. I have both and wouldn't trade either one. Good luck on your search. That's part of the fun.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Athens Altitude. 33 ATA, plenty of speed at 60lbs. Athens bows have a super smooth draw cycle. Your Shoulder will love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
Realm and Evolve cam series seem to be getting a lot of love, I would shoot an Expedition Denali if I could, great bows. I find the prime bows to be very accurate for me. I like 33" to 35" bows because I am a 31" draw.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,539 Posts
28.5” draw length, sorry I should have said that earlier.
With a 28.5" draw there is nothing in this country that you can't kill very effectively with 60 lbs. However, if you think you may like a bit more order a 65 lb bow and take two turns off the limb.

I know I'd have a PSE Evolve 35 for hunting if I had a 28.5" draw!!!! But I have a nubby 26" draw and the Evovle has a minimum draw length of 26" which is too close for me. Too many bows don't do so well at their minimum setting and it can be hard to even get some bows tuned at the minimum draw. However, I shot one that was great at 26". My buddies at 27.5" was awesome! The same cam system is on my PerformX 3D and it's amazing how nice it is to shoot even though it's very fast.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ive been looking for a bow for my dad who has roughly the same requirements that you mentioned. Id definitely would give the pse's and bowtech's a look. I really thought that the bowtech's were extra attractive due to the flip-disk feature, ive had it described to me from guys who own them as having the option for two different draw cycles in one bow. So.... 65lb on the smooth setting could feel very different from 60lb on the fast setting while still getting the same speed. Lots of options for tweaking to preference for the old shoulders. (I don't own a bowtech, i have an obsession; just an archery nerd)

I also saw this bow comparison video with another interesting take on Triax, Rx-1, realm and reign bows.... all from the view of a new shooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzC6Mih71cI

·
Shootingairborne
10,599 Posts
RealmX o on comfort setting. Too easy!

·
Registered
244 Posts
You will get a million different answers. Everyone has their own preference. Shoot everything. I was dead set on buying a Hoyt Carbon Defiant. I took 2 shots with an Obsession Defcon M6 because it looked cool and walked out the store with it. Loved the way it shot. To me better than any bow. I also really like the new Bowtech Realm

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Xpedition Denali or Xcursion

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If one of your favorite bows was the switchback, I’d be taking a look at the Xpedition Xcursion 6 or 7 single cam. Very smooth easy draw cycles. The Xcursion 6 single has comparable speeds to most manufacturers hybrid cams with 6” brace heights and the brace height is actually 6 3/8” on the Xpedition.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts