Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just got my bow a few week ago and really I dont even want to hunt much, I know strange huh? Well I want to get into 3d, it sounds like a blast and im a pretty good shot, still need lots of practice. Wanting to know what I need to know before i get into this and any other suggestions you all may have for me. Thanks guys

· Registered
10,119 Posts
yardage

Practice judging yardage.
That's the main thing that will separate you from the others.
And... have fun, I just started this year and LOVE IT!!

· Registered
6,317 Posts
3d shoots are a lot of fun even if you don't plan on hunting! If you can, shoot your first 3d shoot with people that have done it before, so you can get a feel for it and understand the rules, scoring, etc. And definitely invest in an arrow puller :wink:

· Registered
861 Posts
Invest in a good pair of binoculars. They'll pay off when you can actually see what you want to aim at. 8x50 or 12x42 are good.

Go with a group of experienced shooters, they'll take care of you. This is my first year shooting and I love it. I never had a bad group take me out. Just beware, the sport is completely addicting... there is absolutly nothing like the feeling of a well placed arrow, it's just awesome.

· Registered
30,683 Posts
I shoot 3D all summer long with my family- it is a LOT of fun. The most difficult part is judging yardage. The only way to get good at that, is to do it often. I joined a summer 3D league- it was very relxed, only half the people turned in score cards and it was incredibly fun. I improved at gauging yardage fast.

The second most difficult part-- figuring out where the kill zone is on some of those animals. As said before, a set of binos is a good idea. On your first couple times out (so long as its a fun shoot) its not a bad idea to let someone else shoot first so you have an idea what you are aiming for.

Also, its not any fun to hunt for arrows in the woods and you will get frustrated fast if you keep losing arrows. Until you get some more practice in, move up to a more comfortable place to shoot if its a difficult shot. You can even use the kids' stake on some shots. Again, make sure this is a fun shoot only, or dont turn in a scorecard. Challenge yourself as you get better.

You will most likely find that more experienced shooters are willing to answer questions or help you if you need it. Most are happy to see new people joining the sport. So relax, and have a great time.

And welcome to our world. :)

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Prepare to be addicted :D. Yardage judging is the #1 hardest for sure. But like they said before, go out and have fun. I've been shootin 3D for over 8 yrs now. This yr I was pushin stroller with bow holder on it and hipquiver strapped on it too. Go out and have a blast but don't be afraid to ask for help or advice.:wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.