Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good review take down bow for hunting and target shooting for under 200?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the samick sages on eBay. If I go with the 50# draw What arrows do I need to look at?

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you have a long draw length you might want the Journey. I have a 29.5" DL and the Journey fits me perfect.

Look up Viper1 on here, he has some great reads and information on traditional archery.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope I'm a 27in draw lenght on my compound anyway

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Samick Polaris is a good bet too - Sages are hard to come by. Don't know why more people don't mention these, they're extremely common and a fair bit cheaper than Sages.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
What DW and letoff % are you shooting on your compound?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I shot 70# with 65% let off

·
Registered
10,858 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How comfortable are you shooting that weight? How many shots before you fatigue?
I can shot for hours with that weight not bragging I'm just a fit guy.

So What weight should I get to start out with. I figured 50# would be OK to start and stay with. I want to hunt with the set up and do some 3d shoots.
What arrows for that set would You suggest? Tip weight? I want to do it right from the get go

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
I'd recommend a bow marked [email protected]" which should give you something in the low 40s at your DL. A little heavier then I'd normally recommend, but not very many compound archers shoot 70# with only 65% let-off.
Look at the Samick Sage for your budget. You will also need a tab (Bateman) and likely a better string then the one it comes with.

For arrows a Gold Tip 3555 left full length with 100-150gr tips should be tunable.

-Grant

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd recommend a bow marked [email protected]" which should give you something in the low 40s at your DL. A little heavier then I'd normally recommend, but not very many compound archers shoot 70# with only 65% let-off.
Look at the Samick Sage for your budget. You will also need a tab (Bateman) and likely a better string then the one it comes with.

For arrows a Gold Tip 3555 left full length with 100-150gr tips should be tunable.

-Grant
So this will get me slaying deer with no issues?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Call Lancaster Archery. Seriously. Their prices compete with Ebay and they will tell you exactly what you need (and don't). I just bought a Sage and it arrived in 3 days.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
So this will get me slaying deer with no issues?
Almost any bow will kill a deer if you put the arrow in the right place. 40# at your DL is more than enough.

If you start now and practice daily you might be able to take shots within 20yds by the fall.

-Grant

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

-Grant
Very good advice for a lotta reasons, for your budget.

I'd also add, stick with feather fletching for now; makes tuning your broadheads much easier, when that time comes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts