Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i've desided to get into either shooting recurve or long bow along with my compound bow, so i've asked my mom if she would buy me a recurve bow instead of a flat screen tv and she went off say, "you got a bow, you don't need another, a bow's a bow." and so on about the prices and crap like that but i know they ain't much different but i wanna get into trad, yall think yall could help me somehow convice my mother into buying me a recurve or a long bow?

Thanks in advance,
Scotty

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
well she'd prolly agree if you said that would be your birthday Cmas and any other holiday presents for 2010. Just have to not expect anything else. If she still wont, go work and make your own money and buy you a bow.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well she'd prolly agree if you said that would be your birthday Cmas and any other holiday presents for 2010. Just have to not expect anything else. If she still wont, go work and make your own money and buy you a bow.
i've even tried that and it won't work, no one in my family understands archery except me, i'm the only one that shoots, therefore they don't know the difference between bows, if i had asked my dad he would have say "ask you mother" and getting a job? LOL not with my grades,

Still taking ideas,
Scotty

·
Registered
1 Posts
Practice makes perfect

Just keep this in mind before you get into Trad. Archery. You must shoot every day. Not just a few arrows but several dozen. I am a Traditional archer but have gone back to the compound simply because I cannot commit the time to practice like I should.
I am not here to discourage you. I just want you to know that it is a lot different than The compound. If you shoot instinctively,you need to shoot a lot!!!!!!!!!. Every day!!!!!!
Look at the PSE Impala from Cabelas. I have one and they are a great starter bow for anyone looking to get into Traditional archery. The bow is reasonable priced and hase mounts for a sight,stabilizer and plunger rest.
As far as convinving Mom,just sit down with her and tell her how you really feel about archery. She will understand that if you have a love for it than the bow just might be a good idea. Hey,it keeps you occupied and keeps you away from the party's,drinking and drugs.
Make archery part of your life,In my eyes Archery is not just a sport,It is my Religion.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Put it to her this way:

Bow = You get outside and get some exercise
TV = You stay inside and bug her about how you wish she'd bought you the bow

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Put it to her this way:

I like the way you think.

He could also ask her if a bow is a bow then why is a pair of shoes not a pair of shoes, or a dress a dress, or whatever it is she has 10 of already.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
My graduation gift from high school was the rifle I wanted…I paid half.

Whether you use it as leverage or not, better grades will improve others’ ability to listen…and better grades are the shortest path in having influence over your destiny. If I knew then, that I could have all the bows and arrows I now own, a couple of years sooner by doing just a little bit better with my education, I would have had a good reason to rethink my future. (I was probably mid thirties to forty years old before I owned the hundred arrows I’d always wanted as a kid.)

I read someone’s signature line not too long ago that went something like…“I have no memories of a good day of watching TV.” Being behind the bow brings me endless memories…the self-discipline ain’t bad either. Good Luck. Rick.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just keep this in mind before you get into Trad. Archery. You must shoot every day. Not just a few arrows but several dozen. I am a Traditional archer but have gone back to the compound simply because I cannot commit the time to practice like I should.
I am not here to discourage you. I just want you to know that it is a lot different than The compound. If you shoot instinctively,you need to shoot a lot!!!!!!!!!. Every day!!!!!!
Look at the PSE Impala from Cabelas. I have one and they are a great starter bow for anyone looking to get into Traditional archery. The bow is reasonable priced and hase mounts for a sight,stabilizer and plunger rest.
As far as convinving Mom,just sit down with her and tell her how you really feel about archery. She will understand that if you have a love for it than the bow just might be a good idea. Hey,it keeps you occupied and keeps you away from the party's,drinking and drugs.
Make archery part of your life,In my eyes Archery is not just a sport,It is my Religion.
HA, i already know i'll have to be shooting the bow everyday, she knows i love archery and it's basicly my life, i'll keep that it mind :thumbs_up
Put it to her this way:

now why didn't i think of that, my parnets are always doging me "get off the computer and go outside and get some exercise" there's my ticket to the bow lol, i'm keeping that one in mind to :thumbs_up

·
Registered
783 Posts
Scotty:

I am new to trad hunting and have yet to set up my Samick Sage. It got a good review at the Pete Ward site (peteward.com - I don't know who he is - lol) and rated as a very good starter bow for the money.

It is on sale at Lancaster Archery until the 21st of the month for $99. That would be a reasonable Xmas gift these days for something as others have said - gets you outdoors!

t

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Scotty:

I am new to trad hunting and have yet to set up my Samick Sage. It got a good review at the Pete Ward site (peteward.com - I don't know who he is - lol) and rated as a very good starter bow for the money.

It is on sale at Lancaster Archery until the 21st of the month for $99. That would be a reasonable Xmas gift these days for something as others have said - gets you outdoors!

t
wow, that's a great deal, i'm thinking of the pse kingfisher, it's not an arm and a leg like must bows and way cheaper than a flat screen tv lol,

Scotty

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ttt

keep the ideas coming folks, i talked to my mom again about the recurve bow and she's starting to give in :wink: only thing she's wondering now is, why do i need two bows, and if i'm shooting recurve i'm gonna tearing up my arm cause i'll be using it more than i have strength for or something like that,

Scotty

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ttt,

Scotty

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
keep the ideas coming folks, i talked to my mom again about the recurve bow and she's starting to give in :wink: only thing she's wondering now is, why do i need two bows, and if i'm shooting recurve i'm gonna tearing up my arm cause i'll be using it more than i have strength for or something like that,

Scotty
As far as tearing up you arm, as long as you are reasonable with the anount you shoot and you are not over bowed, it shouldnt pose a problem. I shoot every day I can, but I shoot a 40# bow. What # are you shooting with your compound? Also keep in minnd that at first you are going to loose alot of arrows to misses and just unlucky shots. I ask for arrows every year for both birthday and christmas. I have been shooting for a while and still miss/trash an arrow every now and then.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as tearing up you arm, as long as you are reasonable with the anount you shoot and you are not over bowed, it shouldnt pose a problem. I shoot every day I can, but I shoot a 40# bow. What # are you shooting with your compound? Also keep in minnd that at first you are going to loose alot of arrows to misses and just unlucky shots. I ask for arrows every year for both birthday and christmas. I have been shooting for a while and still miss/trash an arrow every now and then.
that's what i was thinking about tearing my arm up, if i shoot reasonablely it won't be a problem, currently i'm shooting 37# on my compound, the recurve i'm looking at is 4o# - 50# my compound is getting a little light so i'm guessing 40# at gonna be so bad :D and as for the arrows, i always gotta ask cause a ruin so many arrows from tuning my sight in lol,

Scotty

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
300 Posts
ok. my input on your poundage. i am 15 and shoot a 65# Martin Pantera compound. im wanting to get into traditional myself. we have a very good friend of our that owns and archery shop and he has traditional stuff and i get to shoot it every once and a while. a 50# longbow is a little to much so you figure that whatever you shoot on a compound you need to take aprox. 15-25# off to get your traditional poundage. another important thing to remember is that with a compound bow you have a letoff of anywhere from 60-80%. with a traditional you have ABSOLUTELY NO letoff WHATSOEVER. so if you say 37# is getting to light and you should be shooting around 40# then you should be shooting in traditional 20-25# maybe 30 if you can handle it and control it without shaking or anything. so i hope this helps you out, and that you can convince your mom into letting you get one. another thing. archery puts food on the table. TV doesnt. and if you dont hunt then at least it getts you doing something productive. like one of the guys said earlier, archery is not a sport, its a religion. i love archery and hope that you continue on with it. good luck

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't know how old you are, but I'm sure you know a couple kids your age who are going to be on the lower end of the contributing members of society scale. If you are a good kid creatively show her the differences between you and them, then offer up whatever financial help you can put toward the purchase. I grew up slaving away on a farm, so manual labor was what always greased the wheel on the parents old money machine. Offer up extra help or ask about getting a part time job.

If that doesn't work start hanging out with your example kids for a while and regularly invite them over to watch your new flat screen.:darkbeer: ......:wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts