Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to get into traditional bows
Just to add to my archery hobby.
Maybe some 3d, maybe small game
Maybe whitetail one day?

I know jack tho
Thinking a Samick Sage to start as i hear it thrown out alot, and it fits my price range aa im buying a new compound this year too.
Want to shoot with no sights off the shelf.

Thinking if GT Traditional with feathers...
Think im switching to 125gr stinger buzzcut 4blades this year can they do dual duty?

What is it like hunting with traditional equipment?
3d
Im shooting 60 in a compound, moving up to 70 as i have no issues with the weight just my current bow is maxed, i am understanding not ti start too high, so im looking at 45#?on the recurve, that way im legal if i decide to hunt with it. I have some places limited to a 25yd and under shots.

Hear to learn
I know i may seem like i know alot, i just creep and been looking at prices and trying to study on my own.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I am going to sum up in a few sentences information I have accumulated over the last month (most of these suggestions have come from others here on AT):

Poundage:
Start suuuuper light, no more than 30 pounds, probably more like 25. With a 70 pound compound at full draw, you are holding around 22 to 25 pounds. A 45 pound recurve is STIFF if you are not use to it!!! I shoot a 70 pound PSE Omen Pro, I thought a 45 pound recurve would work, but just getting started it does not work (I can pull 50 pounds, but I cant shoot it very well). You will increase your learning time quicker if you start with 30 pound limbs. Consistent good form is what you are striving for.

Bow and Limbs:
Buy the Sage or you can spend a few more $$ and give yourself a HUUUUGE variety of options. I bought an ILF riser and limbs. Look for used Hoyt Excel Riser (this is what I bought), or W&W Sebastian Flute Premium Recurve Riser (I think you can buy both new for $200ish, used for $115 to $150), SF Axiom limbs for $80ish new or TT Black Max for $130ish. ILF rigs allow you to change limbs in about 10 seconds, this way you can easily grow into 45 pounds. All this mentioned is easy to sell if you ever wanted to upgrade (TT Black Max limbs for sale on AT do not last longer than 1 or 2 days). Finding the riser used can take a little time, I placed a WTB on AT and tradtalk.com. Within a week I had two people respond. Mine was $115, I paid him for the rest and plunger he had already set up. He also sold me a set of $300 limbs for $120. I bought a 21 inch riser, but wish I would have started with a 23 or 25 inch, and depending on your draw length, I would probably suggest medium or long limbs.

This is non negotiable: Buy the book "Shooting the Stickbow", - $20ish. This book will answer questions you do not know to ask. This is like a coach in a box. Until this becomes second nature, I can see myself using this book as a reference for a while (arrow selection charts, tuning, form, history, etc.)

Last, if you want to get a good start on tools and stuff, read this:
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2182570

Last, last - get hooked up in a local club. I have found if you want to learn, there are a lot of people who want to help.

GL and have fun

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome repsonse
And yes i would orefer a hoyt for longterm
Can you put any limbs or how does that work?

I'll look into getting the book soon aswell.

Its not going to happen real soon but hopefully by mid summer i could be ready to start looking.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Awesome repsonse
And yes i would orefer a hoyt for longterm
Can you put any limbs or how does that work?
Any ILF Limbs - Yes,

Read about SF Axiom limbs, I just put a slightly used set of Axiom limbs on my Excel this afternoon, they are really nice and feel good. I bet if they made camo limbs, they would not be able to keep them in stock.

·
Traditonal by Choice
1,112 Posts
Okay so I would start with a hoyt excel ilf, which is around $300 but it's a VERY good setup for the money. Start with 30-40# as a begginer. Gt traditionals are amazing arrows, and are a very good choice for a begginer. I would stick with a 2 blade broadhead , a cut on contact one to be exact.trad archery is a very addicting hobby, and is pretty expensive if you collect bows (which I do). It's much more rewarding than compound shooting, which takes little skill compared to trad archery. A big thing to work on is your form when you get your bow, form is important in any style of archery. Hope this helps

·
Traditonal by Choice
1,112 Posts
167_12pt beat me to the ilf setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts