Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The name is Steve, new to this forum and i am looking for some good advice. Several years ago after a while of compound bow hunting i went the traditional route and bought a long bow from Cabelas and tried it all out. I had alot of fun with all of it but after high school and heading to college i drifted away and sold the bow.

Well now i am wanting to get back into all and I am looking to buy a good recruve. When i was into this part of the sport Black Widow bows were all the rage and before i make the buy i just wanna get some opinions. I do mostly whitetail hunting with some elk. Looking for something in the 60-70lb draw range

just wondering whats good out there now a days and what you all would recommend

just looking for some help

thanks
steve

·
Registered
27 Posts
60-70 lbs for a recurve is pretty high. That's average for a compound bow but not for a recurve. The highest you should go for a recurve is 50 lbs, on the average. When you go anything above that the bow becomes really difficult to hold at full draw. Maybe you're really strong and you can hold that much weight but generally, 50 lbs is the maximum you should get to be able to hold the shot while still having the power necessary for the kill.

There are alot of recurves on the market today and you'll have to do some research and shopping around to find one that suits your budget and skill level. There are wooden recurves, synthetic recurves, long recurves, short recurves, target recurves, hunting recurves, etc, etc, etc. Target recurves are usually made of metal and have a longer riser than hunting recurves and are smoother to draw at equal weights. There are basically two kinds of recurves. Take down and one piece. The TD comes in three pieces, riser and limbs, and you put it together or take it apart for travelling. The one piece has the riser integrated with the limbs and it's made of wood. There are alot of companies that make recurves so you'll have to some digging. Go to the manufacturer website and check it out; Bear, Greatree, Samick, Hoyt, W&W, PSE are just some of the companies you should check out. I just got a modern-traditional Hoyt Dorado recurve and it's absolutely amazing. Hope you find one that's good for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply revelry,

about 8 yrs ago i was shooting a long bow with a 55lb draw weight and i had no problem with it. Now i aint gonna say im so big SOB but i still shoot a 80lb compound bow and have no problem with it and it is so dang old i think the let off is below 50%. i aint bragging by any means, just letting you all know how old my current equipment is :tongue:

when i was into traditional bow hunting the black widow bows always caught my eye and i really wanna get back into the sport. i am defiantly looking at a striclty wood bow so metal is out of the question.

One piece bow is also what i want. preferably some kind of decent looking laminate. probably shorter the better but i stand 6'5" so my draw length is around 32". I will say i can easily pull above the 70-80lb range but i admit holding it for much beyond 20seconds is tough.

I have been out of the sport for a long time and i am looking for any kind of help before i sink the money in so thanks for your in put so far.

My budget is around $800-$1000 for the bow and accessories.

thanks again

P.S. Any meaning to your handle??? I got a cousin im really proud of that just got back from Iraq with the marines and he gets a kick of hearing from his fellow leather necks. cant say i share the same honor but i give em all my support.

steve

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
After reading Dwayne's post, this is like "deja vu" all over again. (smiley face goes here)

Dave

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Most of the old school trad shooters who thought they had to pull over 65lbs or they weren't manly men have brightened up. Most will shoot 45lbs or less for tournament and seldom do you ever need more that 50 or 55lbs even shooting heavy wood arrows for hunting anything in North American.

If you want a shorter bow that can work for a guy as tall as you, you might check out Shrew Bows by Ron LaClair...he's as big as you and shoots a 56" bow. they are built to handle a longer draw for their length.

Art

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the reply revelry,

about 8 yrs ago i was shooting a long bow with a 55lb draw weight and i had no problem with it. Now i aint gonna say im so big SOB but i still shoot a 80lb compound bow and have no problem with it and it is so dang old i think the let off is below 50%. i aint bragging by any means, just letting you all know how old my current equipment is :tongue:

when i was into traditional bow hunting the black widow bows always caught my eye and i really wanna get back into the sport. i am defiantly looking at a striclty wood bow so metal is out of the question.

One piece bow is also what i want. preferably some kind of decent looking laminate. probably shorter the better but i stand 6'5" so my draw length is around 32". I will say i can easily pull above the 70-80lb range but i admit holding it for much beyond 20seconds is tough.

I have been out of the sport for a long time and i am looking for any kind of help before i sink the money in so thanks for your in put so far.

My budget is around $800-$1000 for the bow and accessories.

thanks again

P.S. Any meaning to your handle??? I got a cousin im really proud of that just got back from Iraq with the marines and he gets a kick of hearing from his fellow leather necks. cant say i share the same honor but i give em all my support.

steve
It's just a name that I've been using since I got on the net many years ago. Gotta love those men and women fighting for us. It's unfortunate that it all comes down to money but that's the world we live in and vital to our international economy if we are to maintain our freedom. I don't think anyone wants to live like Mad Max and that's what would happen if we lost, seriously. Think about it. What would we do without oil without a reliable energy source in place of it? This is really serious. Situations dictate necessity.

Anyway, back to life.
Maybe you should pull some bows and hold it to see what's comfortable for you. Check out a local shop and try some different weights if you can. Bows today have a reflex deflex design and a 45lb will easily take down a Canadian moose. As for purchasing one, here are some places you can check out. They have tons of wooden bows and all kinds of prices. It's kinda fun seeing what's available and shopping around for the best price on one. They're reliable places with excellent service.

fsdiscountarchery.com
www.k1-archery.com
www.3riversarchery.com
www.lancasterarchery.com
www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com
www.freddiebearsports.com
www.reddinghardware.com
www.archerywarehouse.com
www.archerymarket.com
www.outdoorexperience.com
www.sportsmansguide.com
www.huntersfriend.com
www.redmondoutdoors.com

That should be plenty to get you started. Have fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for the info guys

well i will admit that growing up with my buddies and all of us shooting compound bows it was always about who was shooting the heaviest draw and the fastest. so i guess that probably is what was pushing me towards the heavy traditional stuff.

I will take you all's advice and go for something in the 50-55lb range. I would like something in a somewhat compact design since the one thing i always hated about my long bow was how big it was. I checked out LaClair's website and i like the look of his stuff, slick looking design.

what makers do you all recommend??? again i am only wanting wood bows and something that looks kinda nice as well as being functional. Again like i said reading Traditional Bowhunter many years back the advertisments for Black Widow bows always caught my eye but i am open to any and all recommendations

thanks
steve

·
Registered
20,760 Posts
Lerch -

Sorry buudy, you're still over-bowed with a #50/55 bow. Drawing a bow is nothing, shooting it is something a totally different story. If you want to fling arrows and act traditional, that's your business. If you actually want to learn how to shoot a stickbow (well) pick up a decent #35 bow from eBay and learn on that. If you're serious about shooting, you'll find yourself going back to it more often than than you think.

Again IF you are serious about this, you're going to get a #35'er sooner or later, The question becomes: will you get one to learn on or to recover with?

The "short" bow thing is a mistake too. The string is on your fingers and not a release. Finger pinch affects people differently, but the shorter the bow, the worse it gets. Depending on your draw length, 62" is about as short as a beginner should play with.

BTW - We have a couple of jokers around here shooting #80 and #100 compounds, funny thing: they're holding LESS weight than my wife does on her #30 recurve.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If your budget is a grand you might consider getting a practice bow with a lighter weight that you can throw around and a really nice killer bow with a heavier weight for safe keeping. Greatree, Samick, and Internature make some quality wooden recurves and longbows at a really low price. For a work of art your best bet is something like a Martin, a Bear, or a Great Plains.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts