Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello I come from a small community with alot of shooters. we have been talking and thinking we should open a club for all ages. can anyone tell us what we should be aware of and what we should do to get started we are located in Southern Alberta close to the American border. any advice on equipment and things would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wow

I thought if there was a place where people would know how to start this would be it. The trouble is I (we) do not know where to begin. we may be able to get a small peice of land donated to us to build a building to shoot indoors and I know there is Grant money out there for non profit organizations. just need to know where to start.

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
git ready to work your butt off.starts out with lot's of help then they find out 2-3 will do all the work unless you make the dews $500.for thost that wont help & $20.for those that do......lots of freeloaders in most clubs..........

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so Live got in the way of getting this going, but I have been approached my members of the community looking to get something started. Any advice on starting a club in Alberta would be greatly appricaiated.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
facility and business plan first.Look into insurance and check out the clubs closest to you for pricing and see if its something you guys would be in the ballpark with.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Check with your Local laws to see what you can and can't do.

·
jackaroo
2,703 Posts
Privately owned club is the way to go! Save your money buy your own range and have shoots on the weekends. To much headache egos and lazy bums to successfully run a club. The best place near my house to shoot is a privately owned range it will compete with national shoots. You pay to shoot and there is now payback and on a good weekend over 200 shooters sign up! Targets are always in good condition with new cores and there are none of those stupid rock animals or small targets.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
If you start a club the ones that are motivated and active will do all the work for everyone the old 80/20 rule or worse. If you have enough money to start up a privately owned facility atleast then the ones that work would get more benefit then others, but more risk as far as liability and such. Lots to think about. Look into area businesses for donations for advertising, many will help out

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Insurance and Liability are the biggest concerns, along with location, and cost of operation. Hopefully you have a nice farmer with plenty of land to spare to get something going.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts