Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Arizona mini fletcher with right helical which feathers are recommended. Just thinking about trying something different. I currently use Blazers with no problems. Any advice appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
True Flight and Gateway are the two big names. Either will get you going, with True Flight being better quality, but higher price. Depending on what you plan to use them for you can use anything from 2" parabolics or 4". 4" would be better for a hunting setup. Pick your brand and style. The only thing to really about is that you need RIGHT HAND feathers to match your clamp. For now I would not recommend spending the money for Razyr feathers. They are nothing more than a 2" shield cut feather with a much higher price tag.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I fletch gateways with my mini AZ. takes a little finagling to get them in but they fletch nicely. I have noticed a couple that fly erratically due to imperfections of the feather. I don't know if it is the quality of Gateway or if this is typical feather nonsense...?.?

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I fletch gateways with my mini AZ. takes a little finagling to get them in but they fletch nicely. I have noticed a couple that fly erratically due to imperfections of the feather. I don't know if it is the quality of Gateway or if this is typical feather nonsense...?.?
Help me understand what exactly is "typical feather nonsense".

Also, if you will, you speak of "imperfections of the feather". Are you referring to imperfections within the feather itself, or the way it has been applied?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Help me understand what exactly is "typical feather nonsense".

Also, if you will, you speak of "imperfections of the feather". Are you referring to imperfections within the feather itself, or the way it has been applied?
I'm a rookie with feathers. I am kind of inferring a question for the guys that know more. Is what I'm experiencing normal for feathers?

I have not had problems applying them.

I've noticed with some of the gateways there seems to be slight imperfections in the shape. I assume this come from being handled by multiple people.... I.e. coloring/cutting and what not

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Gateway feathers on sale...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bargain-Cave/Rock-Bottom-Deals/Hunting-Gear%7C/pc/105591780/c/105642180/sc/105643980/Gateway-Left-Wing-Feathers-150-Per-50/746011.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunting-gear%2F_%2FN-1102650%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105643980

I just ordered a few packs last night to keep me in stump shooting arrows for a while. I've got lots of shafts that have ragged feathers from too much field time, and am going to rehab a bunch of them with these feathers. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
True flights are more consistent than gateway with the shape and quill thickness. I always choose true flight simply because they make a better looking arrow when fletched. I have had great flight with 2" shield cut true flights. I four fletch them with a Arizona mini helical.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I'm a rookie with feathers. I am kind of inferring a question for the guys that know more. Is what I'm experiencing normal for feathers?

I have not had problems applying them.

I've noticed with some of the gateways there seems to be slight imperfections in the shape. I assume this come from being handled by multiple people.... I.e. coloring/cutting and what not
I'm still not sure exactly what problems you may be experiencing, but, yeah, Gateway is not the best. I use some of them, but don't buy them anymore. Trueflight has a better product from a consistency aspect. I've been fletching with feathers since somewhere in the late '80's, so maybe I'm just used to some of these types of things.

Here's a thought for you -- or anyone else -- that may be somewhat new to using feathers. Trueflight sells a bag of 100 "full length" feathers (They're not really FULL length) for the same price as an equal number of feathers cut to length. For less than $30 you can buy a feather chopper. By chopping your own you can get around 180 fletches (4") from a bag of 100. That is, most feathers will yield 2 fletches for 4". The choppers come in just about any length and style you may choose. If you like something shorter than 4" you'll get even more. It takes, maybe, 30 seconds to chop a fletch. I'm well aware that many (younger) folks just don't have the time for this. Jobs, kids, whatever. But, there's always those long winter evenings, or rainy days, that give you an opportunity to chop dozens for when you will need them.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
True flight have better quality and better bottom to glue on to arrow. Then gate way feathers.

Word of advice don't use bullyeyes feather from eBay to get them.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I'm still not sure exactly what problems you may be experiencing, but, yeah, Gateway is not the best. I use some of them, but don't buy them anymore. Trueflight has a better product from a consistency aspect. I've been fletching with feathers since somewhere in the late '80's, so maybe I'm just used to some of these types of things.

Here's a thought for you -- or anyone else -- that may be somewhat new to using feathers. Trueflight sells a bag of 100 "full length" feathers (They're not really FULL length) for the same price as an equal number of feathers cut to length. For less than $30 you can buy a feather chopper. By chopping your own you can get around 180 fletches (4") from a bag of 100. That is, most feathers will yield 2 fletches for 4". The choppers come in just about any length and style you may choose. If you like something shorter than 4" you'll get even more. It takes, maybe, 30 seconds to chop a fletch. I'm well aware that many (younger) folks just don't have the time for this. Jobs, kids, whatever. But, there's always those long winter evenings, or rainy days, that give you an opportunity to chop dozens for when you will need them.

Best of luck to you.
My issues come from what I would call "Alfalfa" syndrome I guess. On a couple of feathers, one small part of the vane sticks out to the side causing a whistle and erratic arrow flight. Short of trimming these parts out I haven't been able to fix these particular feathers.

Regardless OP it sounds like Trueflight is the favorite option for Feathers of any shape or size

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I've been using Gateway feathers on a few of my arrows and the quality isn't too bad, but I would definitely recommend Trueflight.

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's the disadvantage of feathers besides freezing in cold and wet weather that I have heard about? Are they louder, less durable or is it just a preference? I like the way my blazers work I was just looking for something different and saw a post showing feather fletched arrows and thought they looked very eye appealing and they said they had great flight out of em.

·
USMC 04/2005-05/2013
3,603 Posts
What's the disadvantage of feathers besides freezing in cold and wet weather that I have heard about? Are they louder, less durable or is it just a preference? I like the way my blazers work I was just looking for something different and saw a post showing feather fletched arrows and thought they looked very eye appealing and they said they had great flight out of em.
They are not as durable, and if going into wet conditions you need to apply something that helps repel water. As far as noise, not sure, maybe? I shoot 4" shield cut for indoor spots, they hold up well for that. If you do a lot of crawling and dragging through the brush. I don't think I could recommend them. If you just walk from point A to point B and sit, feathers will be fine.

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I mainly stand and blind hunt. I will spot and stalk a little bit not doing any crawling if I can get around it. I just like to try new stuff so figured I would give it a try before season and see how I like em.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts