Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to get some more input from the FITA people, for the thread I posted in the General Archery section. Thanks in advance. :)

Scope for an Axcel Sight Bar?

·
Registered
841 Posts
I use a CR Apex target scope and lense that came with it...not horrible at all, and fairly economical. Classic or Specialty Archery are the best imo...but Sure loc makes a nice one too --as you have probably heard though they are WAY too expensive for the lenses. Shibuya is making one now that looks pretty good too.

Best advice I got when it came to buying a scope was...buy a decent houseing that is in your budget...then get yourself a better lense on down the road. The lense is more important...just about any scope houseing will hold up as long as you don't beat up your equipment.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use a CR Apex target scope and lense that came with it...not horrible at all, and fairly economical. Classic or Specialty Archery are the best imo...but Sure loc makes a nice one too --as you have probably heard though they are WAY too expensive for the lenses. Shibuya is making one now that looks pretty good too.

Best advice I got when it came to buying a scope was...buy a decent houseing that is in your budget...then get yourself a better lense on down the road. The lense is more important...just about any scope houseing will hold up as long as you don't beat up your equipment.
Yeah... I don't think I'm looking to get a Sure-Loc scope just yet. :D The Axcel I see as a long-term investment, as I try to take excellent care of my equipment. It sounds like the housing might end up being the same. Could you, or anyone :), give me just a few lens that are decent to excellent? I've heard a lot of talk about Zeiss lens... but then see Zeiss coated lens? What is the difference, if there is one?

·
Registered
841 Posts
the coating is there to help with glare, just incase you have a bad lighting situation...the Zeiss is probably the best coating availible. For FITA I don't know it this will be an issue on a regulation field...but for NFAA field or FITA field archery it can be...as well as 3-d. Odd target placement causes you to have the sun behind you some targets. I am interested to see how the new Nikon lens holds up in the shibuya's. My boss whom shoots a black eagle with the swaroski lens says he's not real happy with the coating. He used to shoot nothing but classic scopes and Zeiss lenses and I never heard him complain once about them...in fact he told me that he thought they we're much better than the Sure-Loc set ups.

There are quite a few people here on AT that sell lenses too...might try talking with them. I am quite happy with my CR Apex scope honestly I don't know if I could tell much of a differance at this point...maybe in clairty of the target but? the middle is still the middle. the CR apex lens has a Zeiss coating on it thought but I don't know how good it compairs to the Classic lens that has a ?different? coating ?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for your responses. I guess other FITA people don't venture this way often?

I got an offer from a fellow ATer about his CR Apex, which I plan on buying. It's coming with a FeatherVision lens, not sure what all that really equates to for a lens, but I'm looking forward to trying this setup out. :D Plus, I've heard nothing but good things for this scope.

·
Registered
841 Posts
FITA is more of a recurve venue than compound...atleast traditionally...this is changing drastically as we go though. I linger in here cause there are honest people here with honest answers whom won't spout BS and fodder for the sake of "stiring the pot" as in other dedicated spot shooting forums.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts