Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
goodwill

Do you have a Goodwill store near by or something similar?

Sometimes I can find great stuff there for really cheap.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I noticed that you are from Western, NE. I hunt down around Alexandria quite often.

Although I have a ton of camo I sometimes hunt in "normal" clothes just like the "good old boys" in the 1950's and 60's. Comfortable, quiet and subdued clothing is all you need. A rancher friend of mine up on the Niobrara River took a very nice muley wearing a bright red nylon jacket, Wrangler jeans and a cowboy hat. Every time I show up with the latest and greatest designer camo, he reminds me of that.

I'll just bet that being a resourceful young man from rural Nebraska, you already have the clothes you need.

I am retired and live on forty acres of pretty decent whitetail habitat. I hunt this property a bunch. Recently I have been grabbing an old green down jacket, a gray stocking cap and my bow and then head out the door.

Tom :cool:

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Any wool stuff you can get your hands one, even military surplus, would be great.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Any wool stuff you can get your hands one, even military surplus, would be great.
o.k., when i was brokeass college kid this was my rig...walmart clearance poly long johns.

Then a bear suit:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/new-us-mil-fleece-bear-jacket.aspx?a=160279

They don't have the bibs currently...

I then saved up and bought a nice gore-tex windstopper parka. The bibs don't seem to matter as much as the parka so I just wore some insulated walmart specials. I think I got my parka on clearance at Cabelas for $50. It was ugly camo but it was fine.

For just cooler weather I had a 4XL 100% wool fugly sweater from TJ Maxx i washed. This makes it super thick and shrinks it. I also had a a pair of german wool pants from sportsmansguide.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Try doing some layers of clothing, but now that hunting season is coming to a closing my local Walmart has reduced the price on all hunting gear, maybe you can get some good deals if you have one close by. I got some overall's for $40 normal price was close to $90 my jacket was almost $80 got it for $35.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
tomorrow morning will be cold here, its been in the teens lately but should make 20's tomorrow, but I will have a pair of snowmobile pants on & my old columbia winter parka/jacket. We have about a foot of snow, so I have a cheap pair of pants & jacket that are all white, painters items, that I will throw over that and a florescent hat and vest and off I go to sit on a stump all day for the last day of PA..

·
Registered
855 Posts
I wear flannels, hoodies, Carhartt overalls and jackets while out hunting.

Layering is your best option and it works very well.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Cost saving hunting clothes

Cold weather:

Lots of layers:
Army surplus wool pants or inexpensive polar fleece type pants (German, Swedish, etc.)
Polypro long underwear - buy online (cabelas bargain cave and other online clearnance sites.
Wool socks by the pack - costco, Cabelas
Fleece hood or stocking cap
Wool or fleece jacket

Shop off season - like right now through January. Cabelas has a huge camo sale on right now.
Inexpensive pac boots for really cold weather

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
A quality base layer is an absolute.Something that has some wicking material like polar fleece.IMO,this should be where your money should be spent.

Then you can bargain shop at Rural Kings or Wal marts or whatever.Hit the sale racks.Stay out of the hunting department,you are paying for camo patterns that will just be covered up by other layers.:embara:I start with a turtle neck t shirt.Then I bought some blue jean thinsulate pants(the red lined jeans)for 35 bucks I think and I found a fleece style shirt for 9 bucks that was green.I also found a mid weight fleece jacket on sale for 20 bucks that I cut the sleeves out of for the extreme cold days.

I have bibs and parka set that was expensive but after layering the way I do,I rarley need the parka so I imagine any kind of bib/parka combo will work.An outer layer of HEAVY fleece should do you and it can be found cheaper than bibs and parka in many cases.

The key is to keep your feet warm,I don't even wear insulated boots anymore.I use the Arctic shield boot blankets(kinda expensive but well worth the price)I get to stand and then put on the base layer socks and then wool if its cold,not before I get to stand.Then I put on the shields and if it is extreme cold temps,I put in hand warmers(only had to do this once)

I use a ninja style head cover with a camo face net to hide the black and I payed about 9 bucks for it I think.

I have sat in 8 degree weather for 3 hours completely comfortable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks i figured i couldn't put to many layers on for i wouldn't have good movement.. how many layers does everyone wear while still having good movement??

·
Registered
761 Posts
I still hunt most of the time. During our recent cold spell. I wore duofold long johns, a flannel shirt, regular weight pants, a down jacket and stocking cap. Because there was ten inches of drifted snow on the ground I wore lightly insulated knee boots and midweight wool socks with poypro liners. During our January firearm season, I'll mostly be sitting under a cedar tree waiting for something to walk past. I'll in addition to the above, I'll throw on some lined bibs, a vest of some sort and Sorel felt lined pac boots. Yep, I'll look like the Michelin guy and will hardly be able to move anything except my trigger finger.

Tom :cool:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
thanks i figured i couldn't put to many layers on for i wouldn't have good movement.. how many layers does everyone wear while still having good movement??
The right kinds of layers and making sure they are lighter weight and not tight fitting(except for the base layer).That is what makes fleece such a great layering garment.

Movement was why I cut the sleeves off my fleece jacket as well.I have enough layers for my ams but the extra layer on my chest is a must.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ok try LNG johns with sweat pants and bass pro has red head fleece cheap works for me but I still get cold.

Take a look at camofire.com smetimes you can get good deals if you save up you can get a jacket and bibs for 250. Sitka brand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts