Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello .. I want to ask if anyone has experience about warm up for recurve or compound target shooting, we have a couch insist that we have to run for 15 min (then do some stretches) before start shooting training, I heard from a friend that running is not recommended for archery training because its faster heart beats issue, then it will take 4 hours to calm your heart beats, and that is not good for stability and consistency.

So I would like to know is running will be good or not for archery shooting ? and why ?

NOTE: we are training for shooting in the competitions for recurve and compound (not for hunting)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Yes a higher pulse rate will make it harder to shoot BUT here are two arguments for running. First, running improves your cardio and improved cardio usually results in a lower resting heartbeat. Second, practicing with an increased heart rate could better simulate a competition where your nerves and adrenaline increase your heart rate.

·
Socket Man
24,306 Posts
I personally don't like to do cardio before shooting, this last year I haven't rode my bicycles and my shooting has been way better. I was in great shape and felt great after the rides but I felt over energized and almost euphoric during the shoots after doing 2 hour road rides.

Problem is this last year I have gained 45 lbs and now am a fat azz and even though I am shooting better I need to ride again.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If it takes you 4 hrs. to get back to your resting heart rate check yourself you could be dead. Seriously if you are at any decent level of fitness you will return to a resting heart rate very quickly. There is nothing wrong with the advice you are getting from your coach.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it takes you 4 hrs. to get back to your resting heart rate check yourself you could be dead. Seriously if you are at any decent level of fitness you will return to a resting heart rate very quickly. There is nothing wrong with the advice you are getting from your coach.
its not about me, as I said, I heard from a friend that any person need approx. 4 hours to be his heart beats calm and normal again.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
yea, I would say running in general is good cardiac conditioning for just about any sport, but purposely raising your heart rate right before shooting is kind of counter productive. a good stretching regimen is certainly productive before shooting and running as a conditioning for shooting will give you a better at rest metabolism, but it should be done well before or in between shooting shooting sessions., not immediately before. I believe your coach's intent is to get your red cell saturation up and body temp up for flexibility, by running, that will result in a clearer brain function and better reception of your stretching preps, but raising your heart rate right before shooting will do no good for your shooting.
as far as running goes, what will produce the best at rest conditions is probably doing "intervals", which is a regimen of short medium speed jogging for several seconds and then a walking rest period of about the same amount of time, repeating this interval for a half hour or so. it conditions the heart to pump efficiently and settle back down quickly to it's normal rest rate......basically just making the heart work more efficiently overall, by pumping only as hard as it needs to for any given activity. that might be what he's trying to achieve with making you guys run, but the intervals are more of a long term activity, that yields it's results over repetition of several sets in numerous extended sessions.
actually, a 15 minute brisk walk, before stretching would do just as good, without pushing your heart rate up nearly as much, making it easier to recover from before shooting.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
it takes a couple of mins to get heartrate down, 5 at the most, unless your in really crap shape.

Your coach isnt wrong.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Running keeps your HR too high? My resting HR is 37. Wonder how low it would go if I stop working out.

Yours is not the only coach that I have heard this from.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
He does mention that it's for training. Maybe that makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Yes a higher pulse rate will make it harder to shoot BUT here are two arguments for running. First, running improves your cardio and improved cardio usually results in a lower resting heartbeat. Second, practicing with an increased heart rate could better simulate a competition where your nerves and adrenaline increase your heart rate.
My late archery coach used to make Us run laps before any practice, literally preaching what You just wrote .... even used a toy bb gun to motivate the slackers - but that's besides the point .

I took the Man to dinner and graciously thanked him for putting hundreds of BB's up my (_!_) .............. after winning my very first field shoot .
Good Times

1 - 11 of 11 Posts