Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to meet Joe Light at the Bloomington, IL Deer and Turkey Classic last February. Found out we have mutual friends and share hunting ground in IL. Love the look of the bag and knew I would get one as I liked the idea of staying warm with less bulk.

Little history, I am 43 (will be 44 Jan 1) I have progressively gotten colder on stand over the last 3 years (mainly hands and feet) and this year I was comfortable. The only time I got a little cold was my feet on a windy single digit day when I put the wrong heat packs in my boot (it was old and for hand not feet so they never worked), but that took about 4-5 hrs of being on stand to get to that point.

Here in IL winds kill you! The wind just cuts through you... the Warmbag is a simple concept. Camo'd exterior with a wind/water proof laminate backing the camo and a fleece liner. I have worn it in all kinds of weather from just under 50* to single digits; rain, wind, sleet, etc, making it even worse. Wearing just dry fit underwear and jeans and a chamois shirt in the not quite 50* weather to dry-fit underwear, polypro lower and longjohn uppers, jeans, turtleneck, chamois shirt, lightweight rain bibs from Cabelas and light weight rain jacket to cut wind and/or rain on the walk out for the single digit days and any combination of the above in between the less than 50* to single digits depending on how cold I thought it may be to sit. I would wear 1000 gram boots above 30*, 1500 gram below 30* and Heat Factory boot warmers for single digits and teens, socks always were a silk liner with a merino wool sock no matter the temp or boot. I did start wearing ArcticShield booties because it helped keep the Warmbag clean and I figured it wouldn't hurt keeping my feet warm. Gloves were a thin pair of Cabelas 40 gram camoskins most of the time, I did wear the Windstopper finger mittens during gun sometimes.

I will say, if I used the Warmbag as intended I was always warm. If I left the arm holes open it got a bit cooler but not unbearably so. If it did get unbearable I just zipped up. Why (you ask) would you leave the arm holes open? I like to read to pass the time on stand and I got a new iphone... got to play... err, learn how to operate it and where better than on stand? And I am still trying to work out how best to unzip quickly and quietly for a quick shot. I found in some of my bow spots that deer just move to quickly through my area to have to take the extra time to unzip quietly. While gun hunting that is not an issue, I have plenty of time to unzip and get set most times. So I got in the habit of keeping the arm holes open while bow hunting and just zip up when needed.

I also found that the Warmbag, while not scent proof, helps cut down on your scent signature. I am not saying it is the answer to all things scent control but if you do your part with scent control the Warmbag acts like a huge container/barrier... I had several deer downwind anywhere from 15 to 50 yards who were none the wiser about me being there. I know it is not proof but I truly believe the bag helps to control scent. Just my .02 cents on that...

Putting it on when on stand is a snap... it helped to practice though. It did not matter if I was in a blind, on a ladder, hang-on, or climbing tree stand I was able to get into the Warmbag with out a lot of effort. In fact it was harder to get the ArcticShield booties on, started putting them on on the ground. Taking it off is even easier and stuffing into it's stuff bag even easier than taking it off! As stated earlier the bag seems to be well thought out.

I did find on first use on a very calm morning, no wind or noise, that one zipper "seems" to be louder than the other. A buck came from behind me and because I had not practiced unzipping the arm holes I may have made more noise and movement than I should have. I have since not only practiced but found the quietest way to unzip my bag. A week later I took a small doe with 2 yearlings at 20 yards, she was downwind in the slight breeze. Then of course I took 2 bucks during gun season... noise was not a factor for either as both were taken with a muzzleloader at 85 and 150 yds.

Joe has been great to work with and pick his mind about Warmbag use. I was using the Large size and it was great! I am 6'2" 215-220... When I started using the Bag I had no issues with it's size but as the season wore on and I started adding layers for the walk out, 1500 gram boots, etc. I found it to be a bit constricting especially in height. I spoke with Joe and he is getting an XL out to me.

The Warmbag met all my expectations and then some... I haven't worn my insulated bibs or parka since getting the Warmbag as they are really bulky, especially for bow, and do not pack as well as the Warmbag. I have found having less bulk really convenient for the walk out and on stand when bow hunting. Still working on what kind of gloves to wear though... Joe says if you stay zipped up gloves are not an issue and he is right, but that bow sure is cold to grab bare handed and did I mention I like to read while on stand?

The only thing the jury is still out on is the hood... the velcro is noisy, the hood is warm but cuts your hearing more than just a little. The hood does cut wind and water too though. I wore it only once because of the hearing loss but if I were to hunt in the wind and rain again I would wear it.

Almost forgot... some have said they found the Warmbag to be noisy. I have not found that to be the case concerning the bag itself. But when leaned against a tree there can be noise if not cautious when moving. Otherwise, I found it to be quiet.

I chose the Warmbag over the Heater Body Suit because of the Warmbag being water and wind proof. I just didn't think I should have to waterproof something that cost over $300, it should already be waterproof. I shouldn't have to spend extra $ and time spraying on waterproofing. Not to mention the spray does nothing for windproofing. Not bashing just sharing my thought process... I thought that even before the Warmbag came out as I was looking at it last year but just couldn't bring myself to spend that amount on something not waterproof from the factory. The Warmbag also costs less, which left me more hunting money to spend elsewhere.

All that to say this... I would recommend the Warmbag to anyone wanting to remain warm, dry, and cut the wind! You still have to dress for the weather somewhat but not as much as without it!

Thanks!

Robbie

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am looking forward to putting the bag through even more cold weather at the end of December and into January! Still have 2 tags to fill...

·
Registered
971 Posts
the new heater body suit is ware repellant,not sure it is waterproof. Looks like it is more user friendly to me.It is only $60.00 more

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I am interested in Neither, as I made my own, but why does something like these need to be waterproof? These are made for COLD weather. Like when it is -20 to 10 above aren't they? That is when I drag mine out. No rain happening at these temps, and if snow hits it, it won't stick or melt as they are insulated so well, the outside material stays cold. Plus 1ft of snow equals 1" of rain, so even if an inch or two of snow fell on you and melted, are you going to get wet? Windproof a nice feature, waterproof..who cares??

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am 6'2" 215-220... When I started using the Bag I had no issues with it's size but as the season wore on and I started adding layers for the walk out, 1500 gram boots, etc. I found it to be a bit constricting especially in height. I spoke with Joe and he is getting an XL out to me.
I thought I had a "wrong" sized large, since mine was a bit constricting when I would stand up (I'm about the same size as you, but closer to 6' 3" and 230#'s). Well, after talking with Joe, my large was the correct size, but Joe sent me an XL and a prepaid shipping form to send my large back.

Joe is great to deal with, but if anyone is right between sizes, I'd order the next size up, as the extra will just bunch up around your feet anyway.

·
Registered
17,767 Posts
I am interested in Neither, as I made my own, but why does something like these need to be waterproof? These are made for COLD weather. Like when it is -20 to 10 above aren't they? That is when I drag mine out. No rain happening at these temps, and if snow hits it, it won't stick or melt as they are insulated so well, the outside material stays cold. Plus 1ft of snow equals 1" of rain, so even if an inch or two of snow fell on you and melted, are you going to get wet? Windproof a nice feature, waterproof..who cares??
when its 33 degrees and and sleeting and raining with 20 plus mile per hour winds one would sure come in handy.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must apologize... it had been since last year, or longer, when I looked at the HBS website and could have sworn that the suits were not windproof. That is one thing that I would have sworn they were not when I first started looking at them as that and being waterproof were my two biggest reasons for not looking closer at them.

I see now they are windproof (membrane) and water-resistant, of course they still sell a water-proofing spray to apply to the suit (2 cans are needed LOL). So, I guess they have added the wind proof membrane, because I do not remember them having it when I first started looking at them. Wind proof is a very important thing in Central IL.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when its 33 degrees and and sleeting and raining with 20 plus mile per hour winds one would sure come in handy.
When you have limited days or even time in the day to hunt... you hunt no matter the weather or wind direction. The Warmbag has been great! Even sitting for just 90 minutes... leave work, spray down myself and the Bag, sit for whatever amount of time I have.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought I had a "wrong" sized large, since mine was a bit constricting when I would stand up (I'm about the same size as you, but closer to 6' 3" and 230#'s). Well, after talking with Joe, my large was the correct size, but Joe sent me an XL and a prepaid shipping form to send my large back.

Joe is great to deal with, but if anyone is right between sizes, I'd order the next size up, as the extra will just bunch up around your feet anyway.
Same advice I would give... if you are 6'2" or so go for the next size up. I started the season at 230#'s but am now 215-220. Of course I say that without having tried on the XL. I should have that this week, got an email notifying me it had shipped. Will let everyone know how it fits...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the XL. Haven't hunted in it yet but seems to be roomier for how I hunt. Will review after I have hunted in it a few times.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Mine will be here on Monday, and from the looks of things......I'm still going to be hunting. I hope to put the Warmbag through it's paces on Christmas weekend. What sold me on the Warmbag over the HBS is the fact that you can just stick your arms out shoot that way, vs. letting the whole thing hang off your shoulders. I have been using a friend's HBS, and I had trouble (some, not a lot) getting into it on the stand. The individual leg holes seemed to be the main reason. Anyway, I'll post my thoughts after I've used the Warmbag.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hbs

HBS does have a wind barrier membrane and no longer requires applying water repellent spray until after 50 washes or something (basically the life of the suit). I bought one in january and tried it out last thursday. It is a pain getting up into my stand with this thing on my back (back pack straps, suit was getting hung up on ajacent tree). Also, it is difficult to get into it on stand. I think this will subside with practice/experience. One thing that might help when getting into the hbs is to really shorten your safety harness rope so that when you sit down it is tight and supports you as you bend over to get your feet into it. I may sell this thing and just spend the cash on grey wolf woolens though.

·
Registered
570 Posts
This is my first year w my HBS and its been the best money Ive ever spent on hunting equipment.. Ive never been able to hunt as long and as hard as I have this year and w practice its very easy to get in/out from a treestand.. not sure bout warmbag, but the HBS is the great!! also, no more sweathing my ass of getting to my stand:thumbs_up

·
Registered
774 Posts
I've had the HBS for 3-4 years now and mine was windproof and water resistant. It is definitely wind resistant, i have been out in significant wind, but do not stand hunt in significant rain. I have no complaints would like to try the Warm Bag just to compare it looks to pack smaller, but wonder if it could be as warm without insulation.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Just purchased 2 of these warmbags. If the product is half as good as their customer service we will have an excellent product. Joe is a great guy to deal with. I'll post a review after I try it out.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have hunted in my replacement bag twice. Wind and then snow, performed very comfortably in both. The extra room the XL gives me over the Lg is noticable and needed in my case. Joe's CS is excellent and much appreciated!

I will report more as I use it. So far range of motion is good, the extra material has not caused any issues with that. Haven't had a chance to draw back on a deer but that will come.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I received my Warmbag on Monday, and with Christmas basically here, I haven't really had time to do anything with it but put it on for about 5 minutes in the house.

My first thought when I saw the Fed Ex box was, "How can it be rolled up so small" (I was comparing it to the size of the HBS, which I would say is considerably "bulkier"). Anyway, right away, I thought, no way is it going to be heavy enough. When I actually opened it up and unpacked it, I was very pleasantly suprised. It is plenty "thick", which initially was a concern. It appears to be very high quality, and has pockets inside, and a rangefinder pocket on the outside. Another benefit I thought of while sitting in my living room with the Warmbag on, is that I will be able to sit in the stand with my binos on, and if I want to use my binos, stick my arms out of the bag and use them like I was just wearing a jacket or parka. It's a pita to use your optics with the HBS (IMO), because you have to unzip the whole thing to get your arms out to use binos/rangefinder. When I used the HBS, I had to hang my binos from a tree branch, and I never used them, because it would have meant letting all the heat out of the bag. The Warmbag also seems like it is going to be easier to get into than the HBS, mainly because of the regular sleeping bag configuration rather than having individual legs holes to put your feet into.

I'll post a review on here again when I have actually had a chance to use the Warmbag in the field, which hopefully will be this weekend.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
you mentioned waterproof part not needed.here in pa late fall to gun season temps drop to 50 down to 32 degrees. its nice like at say 50 degrees and it starts to rain to climb into say a WB.like this year, the opening day of gun season was about 38 degrees and rain.it was nasty to sit in it. you had to have bulky clothes to stay warm and trying to get a rain coat over it was terrible.
wind was terrible,you were wet and cold and all bulky with heavy coat and trying to keep dry.
waterproof hunting clothes are real expensive and most i know dont get them.

so, thats why i like WB over the HBS suit on just that .but i have not personelly tested it for this point.

i hate being in a rain coat sitting in treestand at 35 degrees,brrrrrrrrr is that nasty.if its too hot say at 50 degrees with rain ,i will just leave arm holes open .i dont hunt in heavy rain but it seems its always that drizzle with high winds and fog lately.drizzles and rains for 1 hr, stops and starts again hr later for 3 hrs, then stops and starts again in 2 hrs with wind.

you are just disgusted at times.WB could give me comfort without taking it off and on ,off and on, off and on.
every year i see my friends, experienced hunters for 46 yrs like me that have no solution for that 50/32 degrre rain .you see then heading to car cold, running to store for raincoats,soaking wet gloves and coughing from dampness all tired from being cramped in heavy clothes and rain gear etc.

i am HOPING that WB could be my answer to this big problem we are seeing now.
30 yrs ago you would not see rain in dec in pa. no way, it was cold.now we get temps of 38 into gun season ,then next day 32,then 3 days later 40, then 3 days later 28,all with wind.

take care sproul

1 - 18 of 18 Posts