Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the warmest pair of bowhunting gloves I need a good pair for getting set up until I can put my hands in my warmer pack?!?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Man up, you don't need gloves. Of I would have asked for gloves when I was growing up duck hunting my dad would have ray riced me......... But if you feel the need to keep your DB's warm I would say go work fingerless wool gloves.......

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I have two pair of glove. A pair of arctic shield with the glommits. The inner glove is good to wear while setting up unless it is below freezing. The other pair are snap-on camo gloves with leather palms. They have some insulation but not a lot. They work well when it is below freezing when setting up. Once on stand I will wear the inner glove of the arctic shield system on my bow hand and also wear a hand muff with a heater pack in it. I do not like to wear gloves when bow hunting but if it is really cold I will wear one for holding the bow when shooting.

·
Registered
652 Posts
dont get big bulky "warm" gloves, think about it, you won't be able to hold bow correctly, you won't be able to use your release, you need thin gloves, and then a way to keep those gloves and your hands inside those gloves warm....
I wear cheap thin "medium" weight gloves, they don't offer a lot of warmth.... and a hand muff thing that goes around my waist, this is the best way for me to keep my hands warm but still be able to use my hands.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man up, you don't need gloves. Of I would have asked for gloves when I was growing up duck hunting my dad would have ray riced me......... But if you feel the need to keep your DB's warm I would say go work fingerless wool gloves.......
I'm not tough enough to go bare handed in -30 degree temps

·
Keep'n Archery Real
4,287 Posts
dont get big bulky "warm" gloves, think about it, you won't be able to hold bow correctly, you won't be able to use your release, you need thin gloves, and then a way to keep those gloves and your hands inside those gloves warm....
I wear cheap thin "medium" weight gloves, they don't offer a lot of warmth.... and a hand muff thing that goes around my waist, this is the best way for me to keep my hands warm but still be able to use my hands.
This! This setup is magic! Medium to light gloves is all you need, even in the coldest days if you have the hand muff. Throw a hand warmer in there and it turns into an oven.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have some flip top gloves. They have a mit that comes over the top of the fingers but I can flip up the mit and shoot easily. They are not the warmest thing on the planet but they keep them warmer. Those hot hand are cheap and I just throw some in the mit the keep my finger warm. I would suggest something like mine, or just some thin liner type gloves and get a hand muff and just take your hands out when you are getting ready to shoot.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
/thread

This is the best answer.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
UA glove liners, hand warmers in each pocket and keep your paws in your pockets until its time to shoot.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Its funny that some people can't learn to hold their bow correctly while wearing gloves. Its just like practicing with your coat and bibs on. :archer:

I like my Scentlock Savannah gloves as a liner glove, and they are pretty warm in general to get me to the stand and set up. I'll wear that with my glommit on the bow hand, and just the liner glove on my release hand keeping that in my pocket.

·
Registered
652 Posts
there is a difference between not being able to do it wearing gloves, and wearing gloves that make the least amount of difference compared to no gloves
I have super warm super thick gloves and I could wear just my left one, but why? i have never had issues keeping my hands warm using thinner gloves and handmuffs

sometimes I'll even take the glove off my right hand so I have no variables with my release.

·
Registered
208 Posts
the middle of the road sitka gloves are perfect in my opinion. I have the merino wool pair and then also the core glove. Both work great.

·
wolfey
4,145 Posts
I use thin alpaca gloves and they're great at keeping my hands warm and shooting my bow. They were under $20 so not too expensive. Pulled a stand the other day and forgot I had my gloves and my hands froze to the point I couldn't even make a fist then I remembered my gloves and my hands were warm in a minute after putting them on and didn't get cold after touching the cold stand for ten minutes getting it off the tree.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I find my hands get cold in thick gloves. I usually wear thin gloves year round while hunting and when it is really cold zero -teens I take along hand warms.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
I'm not tough enough to go bare handed in -30 degree temps
Im from south Florida. If I can handle -28 last year during the polar vortex when most were heading south I'm sure anyone can handle a little pain. That said, I do know some people with diabetes suffer from severe pain in their feet and hands during cold weather. If that's the case then use a thin liner and a heavier wool pair. It's a catch 22. I can't seem to feel right shooting my bow with gloves on so I just use hand warmers in my pockets or one of those hand sleeves not sure what they're called exactly

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
"Ray Riced me!". Roflmao!! !

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
This!

·
That's a bear track!
28,860 Posts
Getting to and from your stand, using binoculars and for wiping your nose in lieu of tissue...let me recommend leather chopper mitts with a good pair of wool mittens tucked inside. Once you're in your stand, a muff with some of those HotHands...the ones that miraculously begin to work after you're done hunting...stuffed inside along with some cheap cotton gloves will usually do the trick. I like the brown ones.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts