Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been discussed umteen times here, but I thought this was funny. I work with this lady that continually bagers me about hunting. Nothing over the top just likes to remind me that she doesn't like it. She walked up to me today and asked me if I have killed any bambi's this year. I said not yet but the freezer is ready for as many as I could stuff in there. She started in on me with the same old tune of how it was wrong etc. While she is telling me how bad I am for killing these poor deer I just can't quit laughing. She ask why are you laughing. I pointed out that during her entire speech she was taking little breaks to eat her sausage egg mcmuffin. She told me that it was different because "those animals are raised to feed people" I just kept laughing and while I was walking out of the room I told her that I liked her new leather nikes. Just thought I would pass it on.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Can't say what I really want to about people like that on here...You handled it very well...!

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Nice job of keeping it low key. California is loaded with those types. I usually go right to "At least I'm honest enough to do some of my killing myself".

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
That's right and we also chase our animals in a HUGE woods, that they know like the back of our hands........We don't raise and shoot them in a small killing pen............

Walleye REv................

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
those people are such hypocrits(spelling) they dont realize that we have wild animals because of hunters and teddy roosevelt.

·
Registered
350 Posts
they dont realize that we have wild animals because of hunters and teddy roosevelt.
Well said!! They don't understand that it's the hunters that try to keep these animals alive. We don't want to go out and slaughter them all, we want to preserve them and there habitat. To the OP, you did an excellent job of keeping your cool, and making her look like a fool. Maybe she will take it home, think about it, do some reading about hunting and conservation, and come to a different conclusion about you. We can only hope.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The next time someone gives you dirt about hunting ask them if they kill any insects like house flys or spiders etc. if they say yes ask them what gives them the right to do that when insects are considered living things,thats what I do and you will be surprised when they do not know what to say.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I generally just tell them that I like to be an active participant in the food chain.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,304 Posts
That’s always my first response too. I always say, "sorry I didn't realize you were a vegetarian" and 99 times out of a 100 they say "I'm not". Then I GOT EM'! So, I say it's all right to raise an animal in a pen and shoot it in the head to make you a cheese burger but its wrong for me to pursue an animal that has a fair chance to survive? Some people are just hypocrites and in denial because it makes it eaiser for them to sleep at night.

·
Registered
28,219 Posts
People who feel this way should be forced to sit down and see how that sausage patty or chicken breast makes it onto their plate or how the leather is collected for making their shoes. Then they would realize the only difference between them and hunters is that we as hunters just work harder to reach the same end result.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
just tell her that her make-up is prolly containing collagen and then have her look up and see where it comes from

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
nicko said:
People who feel this way should be forced to sit down and see how that sausage patty or chicken breast makes it onto their plate or how the leather is collected for making their shoes. Then they would realize the only difference between them and hunters is that we as hunters just work harder to reach the same end result.

Show a video of a hog being butchered. It's not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
77 Posts
In college, I would always check for "references" on the instructors of the classes I wanted to take. Well I signed up for a social philosophy class w/o checking beforehand. From the moment I sat down I knew it wasn't going to be good. I would swear he was a member of the Earth Liberation Front (ELF). He was the most radical person I ever saw. He protested rodeos, stated human are the biggest blight on the earth and showed videos of tortured animals. He even claimed cowboys in the 1800's were a major cause of our problems due to them raising cattle.:confused:

He declared himself to be a vegan and did not wear anything that would cause harm to animals. A few weeks into class a student in the class raised their hand and asked what kind of sandals he was wearing (they were birkenstocks). He just looked down. Another student asked if they were leather. He had a pasty look about him as it was and this didn't help.

Unfortunately, he was back to his old self the next day. (w/o the birkenstocks):wink:

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
If a person is a meat eater, isn't it better to eat the meat from an animal that lived a natural free-ranging life than the meat from an animal that lived it's life in captivity, often shoulder to shoulder in a feed-lot? If the animal in both circumstances is destined to die so that a human can eat, which one deserves the most sympathy?

Seems to me the life and death of the wild game animal is the most natural. Obviously we can't feed everyone on wild game, but if your eating meat, something is dying. I'm obviously preaching to the choir here.

Maybe we should start a campaign to save cattle. Our rallying cry could be "shoot a deer, save a cow"... :wink: No offense intended to those who raise cattle. I personally thank you because I am a carnivore without the time or opportunity to hunt for all of my meat... :)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Some people will just never understand. That we hunters are conservationists.

I also guarantee you that any wild animal that is taken by a hunter has had a hell of a lot better life than a pen raised pork chop!

·
Registered
252 Posts
they just don't get it.

Very good response.
The last time my Mother-in-law asked the question,,, " I don't know how you can kill a deer", I explained that you have to aim real carefully, followthru and practice alot. Just for good measure, I also told her to make sure the broadheads she was using were super sharp.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts