Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Time Flies
13,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys use for anti-virus software? My computer (not this one, BTW) has been infected BAD, to the point where I can't even fire up Solitaire without a message popping up that says "The program has been infected". Forget buying something from the internet, because the virus won't even ALLOW me to run the internet. Needless to say, I'm enraged at the whole situation, and really can't even say on AT what I'd like to do to all these losers who write virus programs. I had AVG Anti-Virus, and apparently it sucks because it didn't touch this one at all. In fact, AVG doesn't even recognize that my computer has a virus :confused: Any help would be much appreciated.

Mods, sorry I put this here...after reading down the line of different forums, I couldn't decided on a suitable place.

·
Registered
633 Posts
At work, Symantec product - At home, AVG.

Never had issue with AVG Free, but you do get what you pay for. I have noticed AVG runs a little behind the Symantec/Norton product when a new virus hits the web.

So there is a time window there between the time the virus is released and the time the end-user updates their virus definitions. Also all the personal machines I have worked on were ripe for the infection because the whole concept of Updates is lost on those Users.

And once your machine IS infected, all of the virii worth their salt with disable or hide from any AV product on that machine.

Then you get into the whole Malware issue, the programs that aren't actually a virus by definition, but make your machine look like it's infected so you will buy their product and steal your personal information.

Find a compentent Tech who can get the data off the machine if needed - Can be done but will cost ya unless you know a good Geek personally *grin*, format the machine and start over.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
At work and home = Sophos. Best anti virus and internet security software I have ever seen. Expensive though.

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
Trend Micro and Kaspersky. I use them both and have had good success. One computer is used by an 11 year old that clicks with wreckless abandon. So far it's been uninfected.. :eek:

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Once you do get it back up and going, might try ad-aware and spybot to get the things that AVG might miss. Both are free.

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
another good freebie software to use in a pinch is SuperAntiSpyware. It's a great search and destroy repair tool. Not a primary protection package but does a great job at helping clean up.

·
Trollinus Maximus.
33,287 Posts
Nod32 :darkbeer:

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
i've had great luck with getting the really deep infections, both spyware and trojan-type stuff off my machine with the free anti-malwarebytes from www.malwarebytes.org. yeah, i get what i pay for, but when i couldnt get a search hi-jacker out of firefox even after uninstalling and deleting my bookmarks, this did. i find it is just as good as S&D.

there is no 'one gets everything', so having a couple different freeware/shareware programs for security wouldnt be a bad idea.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
keep in mind, just because you have some anti-virus/anti-spyware program, it doesnt do much good if you dont keep it updated and run it from time to time.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
AVG for Viruses but you need Malwarebytes to clean up what you have now. It is a free download and will clean up your malious bugs you have now.

·
Back Yard Champion
28,899 Posts
I have AVG FREE, SpyBot, and Malwarebyte's Anti-malware. All are free. AVG is set up for automatic checking (you set the time) and automatic upgrade. SpyBot and Malwarebyte have to be manually be upgraded and ran.

·
Registered
915 Posts
another vote for AVG , i use it since 4 years on 3 computers and never had a problem . same with antivir free edition ( this one is slightly better IMO).
for spybots and malware i use malwarebyte's free edition and i like it a lot .
in your case i recommand antivir free : uninstall avg first , then install antivir and you'll see ....

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,334 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
use malwarebytes and Microsoft's security essentials. That is what i clean all the computers with at work. Of the pay programs NOD32 and Kaspersky top the list

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I think it's called Mac.

·
Registered
827 Posts
used to have McCafee, it worked great, now have Trend Micro Antivirus and Windows Defender, haven't had a problem yet:wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts