Plywood 5 points
Steel drum 6 points
Tire 4 points
Cutting diameter 2 points
Blades 3 points
Accuracy 5 points
Non-mechanical head 2 points
Total score 27 with a blade sharpness rating of B-

The Wasp Boss Bullet is one of the new breed of 3 blade, 1” cut fixed blade broadheads. It differs from most others in that wasp uses the conventional aluminum ferule and steel tip, compared to Rocket and Rocky Mountain’s all steel construction. Believe me when I tell you that this is no handicap!
In the plywood the wasp head penetrated completely stopping at the fletching. In the tire the Bullet penetrated the first side along with 10 inches of arrow shaft. In the steel drum the head fully penetrated BOTH sides, and without any damage! In fact throughout the tests the same head was used, and it is still useable. This is one of only a few heads to completely penetrate both sides of the drum and remain intact. Two of the 4 that have done it were mechanicals that did not fully open on the front wall, saving energy to punch through the back. The Third head to do it was a two blade, cut on contact. The Wasp Boss Bullet is the first three blade head to make it through and hang on to all the blades. I found this to be very impressive.
Now this is the highest scoring broadhead I have tested to date, but I think we need to keep things in perspective. These tests reward durability and penetration above all else. While cutting diameter and total blade surface are addressed, they are not rewarded as well. I say this not to knock the performance of this broadhead, but to keep things in perspective. The Wasp Boss Bullet is one truly outstanding broadhead. It is small enough to fly like a field point and penetrate, well like a bullet. The down side is that because of it’s size your not likely to get the large “holes” and great blood trails that some of the larger 3 blades will provide, or like the 1”, 4 blade heads. Also shot placement, which is always the most important aspect, will have to be even more precise. The good news is the wasp head shoots so well, that great shot placement will be easier than ever. With today’s new breed of smaller more accurate broadheads I thought this should be addressed, especially since these heads are scoring better and better all the time.
The bottom line is the Wasp Boss Bullet is one excellent broadhead, it is tough, super accurate, and penetrates great. The only downside is blade sharpness. I found that they were not up to the usual Wasp standards. They are however plenty sharp for hunting in my opinion. If your looking for this type of head I think you will be very pleased with this one.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Thanks 5shot once again you are the
man!I really appreciate your efforts on
our behalf!!!!:)

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Low KE Test

You may wish to run this into your Low KE test if you have not done do

this tiny weiny had should work for youth & ladies with low KEs

Thanks TINK

27 WOW!:D

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tink, actualy did use that head in the low KE tests. It came in third overall, and first in the soft tests, but 5th in the "hard" material tests. The only two other heads to beat it out were the Rocky tradition, and the Ironhead XP. I am planning some more Low Ke tests soon, just have to figure up a repeatable material or materials and get some more heads together.

·
Registered
156 Posts
5 shot I had just bought my son the 75 gr. Im glad it got good review. I do have a Question though we do not have a poundage limit in this state what would be the lowest poundage my 9yr old could shot with this head? hes pullin 25lbs now and like to get him up to 30lbs, but again hes only 9. I want to make sure it a clean kill an humain. I dont know his arrow weight but its 21inch long a goldtip falon 35 with the 75 gr.boss bullet.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
11 1/2# of Ke Will Kil ldeer

Its long story and Alli can say is someonw at Bowhunter Magazine Maybe dave Holt did research on bow KE and foudn 11/1/4# of Ke was leathal

We doubled that to 22 1/2# for a KE recommendation in South Africa

Plora and Fauna ( Wildlife Dept)

They rounded it off to 25# of KE to bowhunt the smaller Buck there in Africa

The Barrie Boy shot a Black bear with his Herters bow set at 29# many years ago

he is now Prexy of Rocky Mountain Broadheads FYI.....

.TINK

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have been eyeing the Wasp Boss with the thinking those are some tough looking broadhead that may fly with extreme accuracy. How did they compare to the Rocket's Bacon Skinner 3 blades? They appear to both be similar. Again, thanks for your work 5-Shot.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can tell you that the setup I used to do the low Ke tests would be lethal on deer size game with good hits. I think that setup was putting out a something like 26 ft/lbs. It's not so much the draw weight as it is the total KE + a well tuned setup. I would think a good minimim would be somwhere around 35lbs though. It depends on the bow and how effeicent it is, and like tink stated Less will Kill, but I like to be on the safe side. The blades on the Boss are bigger, but not as sharp as those on the Rocket heads. They are also tougher. The wasp head over all is just a much better product.

·
Registered
60 Posts
speed-freak said:
5 shot I had just bought my son the 75 gr. Im glad it got good review. I do have a Question though we do not have a poundage limit in this state what would be the lowest poundage my 9yr old could shot with this head? hes pullin 25lbs now and like to get him up to 30lbs, but again hes only 9. I want to make sure it a clean kill an humain. I dont know his arrow weight but its 21inch long a goldtip falon 35 with the 75 gr.boss bullet.
Most states I have hunted in require 40-45 lbs minimum 25 is way to light 30 is still too light unless hunting Squirrels!
My two cents I could not hunt till I could pull 45 and that was about age 14 now I use nothing but 80 lbs on everything. just something to think about

·
When's bow season start?
8,942 Posts
I was always a fan of Wasp Hammer SST's, so this test comes as no surprise, except for maybe the highest score of 27 in your tests. They looked good when I first saw them in a catalog.

I agree that a 3-bladed broadhead with 1" blades will not make as big a hole as, say, a broadhead with a 1-3/8" cut. And blood trails may be lesser. But accuracy and penetration, that is the key. I bet they produce some spectacular kills!

·
Registered
156 Posts
We have no poundage law here in GA so he could shoot it legaly but after running the numbers though the charts hes only has 11 to 15 lbs of KE thats not enough for a humain kill. He will have to wait untill he gets those numbers up. It may penatrate one lung and kill a deer but hes not going to make it suffer a long death.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
With 1" of cut, I like the 4 blade heads. With all that "spare" penetration another blade will do 33% more cutting, and would be a better bet for most adults. The 3 blade looks like it would be great for the low KE setups.

Maybe we will see a wasp bullet 4 blade next year?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts