Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will probably be shooting a 3 blade head this year and I was wondering what the general population here would choose between these two heads. I know the basic design is the same but the way the blades attach is a different design. Is one attachment better than the other? And what about the tips? They look to be made out of different materials. Is one stronger than the other?

Thanks for your help,
Jeremy

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Toss a coin, both great heads.... I personally prefer the Wasp Hammer SST over any other fixed blade head today, but that's just me.;) Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
118 Posts
Chad,

I would be comfortable taking either one of the two you mentioned, they are both great. However, like Pinwheel 12, my first choice would be the HammerSST. BTW, the tips are not the same, the Wasp tip is stainless.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Take pinwheels answer and flip it around. I prefer the Muzzys, but both are excellent heads.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
125 grain fleis better & Kills faster too!

Try the 125 grain Muzzy 4 Blade it flies like a dream,
has FOC balance
and has a super strong snout
The tip will kill alone

·
74,535 Posts
SST tree Blade Wasp

Great Broadhead. I have used them for many years. Just placed mine on today for broadhead touranment next weekend. No fine tuning for me. Just mark my yardage marks and shoot. Cant ask for more then that. They hit dead center same as nibbs. I honestly think the fall away rest helps also. Trophy Taker.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I lost a very nice 8 point due to lack of penetration from a wasp. I quit using them and went to the 3 blade Muzzy and Steelforce broadheads. I love them both.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it seems pretty even and theres not really a bad choice. I'll probably go with the muzzys simply because I use a zero effect rest and I have a bit of brand loyalty for a company that makes such a great rest. And 5shot recommended them (hey, the guy knows his broadheads).
To tell you guys the truth I really wanted to use the Rocky Mt. Snyper heads this year. I've heard nothing but good things about them and I do like the flight charistics of mechanical heads. Problem is, I'm getting a Ameristep Doghouse blind with the "shoot through mesh" to hunt out of this fall. I figured the mechanical head would open prematurly when it hit the mesh and not the deer. Am I right on this one? Anyway thanks for the opinions.

Jeremy

·
When's bow season start?
8,863 Posts
Yes, there is a possibility that your mechanical will open, or at least partially deploy, when shooting through the mesh. In fact, there is probably a caution statement to that effect with the included instructions. I had a Game Tracker blind, and I noticed that my arrows were hitting in a different spot from a normal standing (or treestand-sitting) position, since it was kinda abnormal shooting out of the blind (at least for me). I recommend that you practice shooting out of your blind a lot before hunting out of it. BTW, I returned mine after three uses as one of the poles broke while breaking the blind down.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Muzzy makes a great head. I have never seen a problem with them penetrating.

·
74,535 Posts
6 to 8 deer

I know I usally take atleast this many deer. I garantee penetration with my Wasp will not be a promblem. We have dmap tags and usally have more doe tags than one can fill.

Muzzys or Wasp, both will do good if placed well in deer. Find what is most accurate.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I've used Muzzy's and thunderheads for the last 20 years without "ever"breaking or loosing a blade.
After all the hype though,I 'm gonna give steelhead 125's atry this year,if they don't perform you will see them in the classified section and I'll be back on the muzzy wagon.....;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's funny how these questions turn out. It seems like the thread generally continues along the path of one brand, it stays there. If another brand is praised at the start, it continues to be praised. I'm not calling anybody a liar by any means, but Muzzy is certainly a popular head. In my opinion, it's like the Winchester Model 70. Like the gun, the Muzzy(I think Thunderhead falls in here too) is the head all others are compared to.
I've heard very few complaints about Muzzy, and I use them. Wasp is also supposed to be an excellent head. Saying that, I've never used a Wasp, so I can't say what I think of them. Either way you go, you should be able to have complete confidence in the head doing it's job as long as it shoots straight.

peashooter

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
The ONLY failures I have ever had with a fixed blade head was a Muzzy

I have never seen a Muzzy head bend, or break a blade . . . .much less "fail". If you don't trust Muzzy, or similar quality heads like Thunderheads or Rocky Mountain heads, there isn't a broadhead out there you will trust. Few heads have been responsible for more kills over the years.

For each person who says that Muzzys or Thunderheads are junk (usually Mech head shooters) there are 10,000 other bowhunters who would whole heartedly disagree. The performance of these heads over the years speaks for itself.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Meleagris

I can send you two different heads where this happened! The blades are not but .020 thick they can and will break! Larry has done some tests and is a pro shooter he is also a hunter. He and I have had similar experiences w/ these heads! I dont want to speak from his he can certainly handle his own! My1st
instance was w/a 145 gr. the ferrule bent on a pine stump looked like a bananna. The other was a broken blade on a 130 gr. the ferrule is made of alum. it can bend!

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Up here in the north we can't shoot the number of deer you guys can down south, but I have shot over 20 deer with muzzy heads, without a single bend or break. I believe that you have had ferrules bend in trees, but in a deer??? I have also seen Thunderheads, Steelheads and Rockys bend when shot into trees (most of the bending comes from getting them out!) Take a look at 5 Shot's testing and see how the Muzzys perform.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I would call 6 inches of penetraion on a small deer and the Muzzy
head being retreived from within the deer shaped like a fish hook a failure in product. All three baldes were gone, the trocar tip was gone, and two ears of the feral were broken off. Yep, I
would call this a failure. This particular head was a 75 gr 3 Blade.

200 lb hog at 25 yards from a 70 lb bow, 6 inches of penetration
on good hit, standing still, Muzzy 100 gr 3 blade, poooooooooor
penetration, excuse, only one blade was sharp, other ones dull.
Who knows? This was on a video

2002 season in Wyoming--Antelope--wide open shot, no obstruction, Muzzy 100 gr 3 blade, maybe 6 inches of penetation,
enough to recover the animal but pooooooor penetration.

You hear a lot about cheap heads failing but Muzzy ain't supposed to be cheap

1 - 20 of 20 Posts