Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best product out there to put on feathers to waterproof theme? I am making the switch to traditional equipment this year, but love to hunt on wet days.

·
Registered
20,290 Posts
ARs -

When you waterproof a feather, you basically end up with, well ... a vane!!!

:D:D:D

Seriously, there are a few products still out there, but the gereral concensious is, if you like the wet weather, fletch or buy arrows with vanes. Yes, they will shoot well from a recurve, just wouldn't do it off a shelf.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've used both the powdered and the liquid waterproofing on my feathers. I prefer the liquid. Made by bohning. Also, you might try using a catquiver. It covers/protects the fletch from the elements and you can shoot a brighter fletch. Some guys used to put a disposable baby bottle liner over the fletch with the nock sticking thru the closed end. you can string it and shoot with a little practice. the liner will come off as the arrow clears the bow. try it , it may work for you.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Using arrows in wet weather

My technique may not be the best but it does work. What I have been doing is to spray silicon spray on the feathers and then, after a target shooting session I steam any feathers that look soaked. The big thing to look out for isn't the feathers since they can be steamed (or waterproofed); it is the wood shaft. After a few hundred shots the finish (varnish, lacquer or whatever) on the arrow will have worn off at the front where the arrow goes into the target. This area will now be vulnerable to soaking up water and warping or just being out of balance. Drying out water logged feathers is alot easier than trying to dry out waterlogged wood shafts.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Put baggies over them secured with rubber bands. Just pull the baggies off when you're ready to shoot.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
:D I have used either non-scented hair spray or, scotch guard spray. I can say I have had NO problems with either one. Some say it makes the feathers a little stiff but, they still fly very well. Did not notice a difference in arrow flight or accuracy.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
At Walmart get black majic tire shine, spray on and it does a exceptable job on your feathers. Do not know why, but was give as a tip in another chat, I also have used just plain silcon oil spray and then let the feathers dry. Plus I do keep a plastic bag with a rubber band in the backpack for those rain days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have tried pretty much everything but I prefer Scotch-Gard. This stuff does have a scent when sprayed but seems not to when dry. I have put the feathers under running tap water after treatment and no problem. Stuff seems to last a long time unless you do a LOT of shooting in the rain. :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Go to Payless Shoes if you can find one and buy a can of Rain and Stain. Spray it on your feathers. It does a great job keeping them waterproof, doesn't smell and doesn't make them stiff. Best stuff I've ever used. Nutmeg:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts