Archery Talk Forum banner

Waterproofing Feathers

906 Views 12 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  hotfoot360
What do some of you use to waterproof feathers? How often do you do it? Any particular method to waterproofing them with the particular product you use?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
36,987 Posts
I saw in another post where somebody said they use Unscented hairsapray . I usually just put a zip lock bag over my arrows to keep them dry

· M4L
2,257 Posts
waterproofing Feathers

They make a material to use on fishing flys, but i use the cheapest strongest holding Hairspray that I can find!!!!

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Feathers

I used to water proff them. This year I got caught in a downpoor ant the rienhart 100 I mean we couldnt have got any wetter if we jumped in. My 4" feathrs did not change the flight of my arrows at all to 40 yrds. Go wet one down and give it a try.

· Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to water proff them. This year I got caught in a downpoor ant the rienhart 100 I mean we couldnt have got any wetter if we jumped in. My 4" feathrs did not change the flight of my arrows at all to 40 yrds. Go wet one down and give it a try.
In other words you don't do anything to them now?

· Registered
5,437 Posts
In my experience, anything you spray on the feathers doesn't work worth a hoot, and in some instances will really screw up your feathers (like the time I tried Scotchguard, had to completely re-fletch my arrows)

This stuff is the ONLY feather waterproofing product that I found that actually works. One little jug of it should last you a lifetime and costs less than $10. Bohning makes their brand too.

· Registered
17 Posts
In my experience, anything you spray on the feathers doesn't work worth a hoot, and in some instances will really screw up your feathers (like the time I tried Scotchguard, had to completely re-fletch my arrows)

This stuff is the ONLY feather waterproofing product that I found that actually works. One little jug of it should last you a lifetime and costs less than $10. Bohning makes their brand too.

this is the best :shade:

· Registered
2,744 Posts
I use a powder by WATER-TITE waterproofing compound. Probably the samething CARLV mentioned. Does 3 to 400 arrows and last forever. It's odorless. It has a hole in the lid,slide it over the shaft,stick the fletch in the bottle and shake. Rub it in w/your fingers alittle.

· Registered
2,656 Posts

+1 if you use this stuff you can dunk your feathers in a sink and they will come up dry with beads of water falling off.

MSwerd.

· Registered
13,757 Posts
camp dry spray from walmart,, basically silicone spray... i spray both side of the feather a week or so ahead of time so the smell has time to go away... works great .. only down side if you spray them too heavy he silicone makes the colors run i bit... but that doesnt hurt anything especially on a hunt... it lasts a long time never had to spray any twice..

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Ive used camp dry with good results...Ive even used Pam cooking spray in a pinch...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.