Archery Talk Forum banner

Wax

640 Views 16 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Uniquename
Is waxing your bow string a good thing to do? How often should you wax it?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Banned
4,160 Posts
Strings only do not do served areas! And a lot depends on use I don’t use wax do to string material dosent need wax, but when it starts to fuzz or you hunt in weather you should do more often! Just my .02

Reactions: Tenn47

· Registered
23,010 Posts
Wax strings when ever strings get fuzzy.

Reactions: Tenn47

· Back Yard Champion
35,979 Posts
does that mean I should not wax as a precaution to fuzzing?
Mistake many make is over waxing. I wax even new strings - a light waxing. I wax sections and work in with fingers. Nice about using fingers, your fingers get hot it's time stop.
Sections; from serving to peep, from peep to center serving and so on. Yes, wax that from the peep servings to peep.

Test for wax, rub with fingers and if string comes glossy you don't to wax. And if you do, wax lightly.

Tons of different wax on the market and most are the same thing or near enough to say they are. I like Bohning waxes and have Seal-Tite, Test-Tite and Xccelerator

· Registered
1,417 Posts
Get A3 bloodlines and zero maintenance. I will never put anything else on my bows.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Until you shoot 100 arrows a day ...after 3 months they are garbage...I stick to a traditional string that needs waxing ..why? Because I shoot alot and the bloodline coating didn't hold up long enough to make it worth it...and after the coating starts to go, they look like crap and won't take wax...bloodline waxless is a gimmick in my experience! How hard is it to wax your bowstring every couple weeks if you shoot alot? Not very! That's my experience and opinion!

· Registered
4,826 Posts
I wax strings. I wax the parts that I can't get to once installed prior to installation, and a light coat once installed. Then I wax when I think they need it but light. I use string snot now, softer and easier to rub in. Like others have said, string only, not on servings.
Ches.

· Registered
30,646 Posts
Mistake many make is over waxing. I wax even new strings - a light waxing. I wax sections and work in with fingers. Nice about using fingers, your fingers get hot it's time stop.
Sections; from serving to peep, from peep to center serving and so on. Yes, wax that from the peep servings to peep.

Test for wax, rub with fingers and if string comes glossy you don't to wax. And if you do, wax lightly.

Tons of different wax on the market and most are the same thing or near enough to say they are. I like Bohning waxes and have Seal-Tite, Test-Tite and Xccelerator
This.....^^^^^^ (You may reread it in place of my reposting the same information)

· Registered
1,602 Posts
I wax my strings on a regular basis but i don't over wax. It really has alot to do with how often you shoot and how many arrows you shoot per session. It's easy to just keep an eye on them and don't let them fuzz up before waxing. Works for me.

· Registered
3,656 Posts
Until you shoot 100 arrows a day ...after 3 months they are garbage...I stick to a traditional string that needs waxing ..why? Because I shoot alot and the bloodline coating didn't hold up long enough to make it worth it...and after the coating starts to go, they look like crap and won't take wax...bloodline waxless is a gimmick in my experience! How hard is it to wax your bowstring every couple weeks if you shoot alot? Not very! That's my experience and opinion!
Bummer. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. First person Ive ever heard complain about A3 bloodlines. I shoot a few arrows every day. Going on a year and my bloodline strings still look and act new. Lots of other bloodline users will say same thing. It's definitely not a "gimmick."

If yours really started to fail after 3 months, Im sure A3 took care of you and replaced them with the cheaper standard strings.

· Registered
1,417 Posts
Bummer. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. First person Ive ever heard complain about A3 bloodlines. I shoot a few arrows every day. Going on a year and my bloodline strings still look and act new. Lots of other bloodline users will say same thing. It's definitely not a "gimmick."

If yours really started to fail after 3 months, Im sure A3 took care of you and replaced them with the cheaper standard strings.

They are the reason I started making my own strings...I knew I could do better. I use BCY 454 and the set I made for my SR350 had 10,000+ shots on them waxed every couple weeks and they looked brand new when I sold the bow. All in all I would call owning a set of A3 Bloodline strings was a big win for me...in the end.
Electrical wiring Engineering Electronic engineering Machine Gas

I just made the set for my SS34 ...454 as well!! Couldn't be happier with the quality of workmanship...;)

· Registered
3,656 Posts
They are the reason I started making my own strings...I knew I could do better. I use BCY 454 and the set I made for my SR350 had 10,000+ shots on them waxed every couple weeks and they looked brand new when I sold the bow. All in all I would call owning a set of A3 Bloodline strings was a big win for me...in the end.
View attachment 7786765

I just made the set for my SS34 ...454 as well!! Couldn't be happier with the quality of workmanship...;)
Pretty cool u make ur own.

· Shootin and Cussin
27,294 Posts
SO, waxing is very general term. I use String Snot. It is much more of a liquid that soaks in when you apply it. It makes the process much easier and cleaner.

Reactions: Mykey

· Registered
1,417 Posts
SO, waxing is very general term. I use String Snot. It is much more of a liquid that soaks in when you apply it. It makes the process much easier and cleaner.
I have some snot and a scorpion tin ....but much prefer Xwax.. wax needs to protect the string from water absorbing into it. I feel xwax is superior to everything else I've used!

· Registered
Bowtech SR6x3, Qad, Victory SS, Black Gold Sight
1,364 Posts
Scorpion wax when needed and everytime before wet weather or Snow.
Keeps the water out from soaking into the string.
Better to have the string protection .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts