Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Some tans have little stretch and stand up to abuse, for making tool holding pockets ie; knives. Of coarse these would be hair off. Skin like squirrel or other thicker skinned small animals. Alum tanning might be an option.

If gloves or other soft stretchable products.........Lutan or Chrome tan could be used.

The best buck skin comes from brain tanning. Will not shrink or rot. Smells a bit at first but it is an awesome garment tan.

If just to hang as a fur pelt I would chrome tan which is fast and easy.

All kinds of "Quick Tan" products out there some with decent results on finished pelts.

Check taxidermy.net for information...........there is a wealth of knowledge there.

Follow these steps and skip non,
Double salt
Pickle
Flesh
Tan
oil
tumble or break
Don't leave any out and you will get good results very fast.

It is work for sure.

Bob

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Chrome tan is a greenish powder you mix with sait and a bit of acid (anti bio additive) that produces a very soft limited stretch grey colored hide. Hair on or off. The opposite would be Lutan which will give you a tan colored skin. There are others I believe Bark tan that will give you a darker brown hide.

Like I said depending on use and finish desired each has its value.

Again go to taxidermy.net and you will find better info on each by those who are pro's at it.

I have done a lot of tanning mostly for deer, moose capes for mounts. Damp tanning eliminates the oil and tumble and requires a tanning agent that will give you good stretch and limited shrink. I am by no means a pro and it is best to learn from those who have the years in the trade.

Hope that helps

Bob

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
This all sounds very confusing
It is very confusing, at first. The more you read about tanning, the more you will understand.

presmyk, I am going to use the chrome tanning method for my hides. I am not going to make anything out of them, they will just be hanging in my "man cave" so this method offers all that is needed, and is alot faster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts