Archery Talk Forum banner

WB accuracy

1190 Views 29 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  Sky Warrior
I have a question about the WB rest. Do any of you ever have any problems with accuracy? Now im not a pro shooter but i try to keep the same form everytime as best i can and i shoot when i can cuz i work alot. i also looked at different rests and was told to get a drop away rest because it eliminates some things such as torqueing the bow. some opinions would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
4,499 Posts
I have a question about the WB rest. Do any of you ever have any problems with accuracy? Now im not a pro shooter but i try to keep the same form everytime as best i can and i shoot when i can cuz i work alot. i also looked at different rests and was told to get a drop away rest because it eliminates some things such as torqueing the bow. some opinions would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
if YOU do the same thing everytime you shouldnt have any problems.I dont care to shoot them cuz most of the arrow shaft has to go though it.I think it would be a great upgrade to a trophy taker

· Registered
107 Posts
I can tell you that it made a huge difference for me. I went from a WB to a Trophy Taker and have never been happier. My local pro shop swore that fall away rest amplify any shooting problems you have. I went with that untill I found a pair of TT at half price in a sporting goods store. I swithched and the difference was like night and day. /now my buddy has a Hoyt the shoots perfectly with a WB so it may just be me.

:confused:

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
Whisker Biscuit

I don't understand where some people get the idea that a WB isn't as "accurate" as other rests? I rest is a rest is a rest. The WB will shoot just like any other out there, there is no such thing as eliminating torque by changing rests. That being said, you would be very happy with the WB for hunting, but if you were going to shoot a bunch of arrow during the indoor season you would be better served with some kind of spring steel rest.

· Registered
873 Posts
For hunting purposes it is plenty accurate. For 30X vegas games no. IMHO.

This is not due to torque rather it is fletching contact. they also tend to be more or less accurate depending on what style of vanes you use. Blazers seem to be near unbeatable for this style of rest. Minimal negative influences including minimal speed loss. I tested blazers and the WB and found less than 1 FPS difference between the WB and a drop away.

Choose the style that tickles YOUR fancy and be happy with it. You can kill game with any of them.

· SuperToon'd
12,325 Posts
Second year shooter here and I have to say the biscuit works great for me . I do not have to worry about the arrow falling off when I'm hunting . I get 285fps from my setup so I don't think it slows it down that much. I shoot an 28 inch draw . I also get great groups out to 60 yards. I don't really shoot any closer than 40 yards while practicing as I am tired of busting arrows . Just take it for what it is worth . I might change to a drop away when I become a more experienced archer but until then I am happy with my biscuit.:wink: I shoot Blazers by the way.

· Registered
8,473 Posts
I have a biscuit on my back up hunting bow. The only bad thing I can say about the biscuit is that if you shoot a long plastic vane then after alot of shots then it will cause them to wrinkle. However with blazers the biscuit is an excellent choice for hunting. My backup bow is sighted in all the way to 50yards. I have a trophy taker on my hunting bow, and I abo****ely love it. Its simple, easy to set up, easy to tune, and thats what i like for hunting. I dont think youll be disappointed with either

· Registered
564 Posts
A rest is not just a rest.....They all don't react the same. The WB is fine, But they are hard on fleaching and vanes. they also are a little loud when drawing your bow back. You want to make sure your bow is tuned or it wont matter what rest you have..

· Registered
1,829 Posts
I don't understand where some people get the idea that a WB isn't as "accurate" as other rests? I rest is a rest is a rest. The WB will shoot just like any other out there, there is no such thing as eliminating torque by changing rests. That being said, you would be very happy with the WB for hunting, but if you were going to shoot a bunch of arrow during the indoor season you would be better served with some kind of spring steel rest.
agreed. The bisquit is fine and has no inherant accuracy problems

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
Alright

A rest is not just a rest.....They all don't react the same. The WB is fine, But they are hard on fleaching and vanes. they also are a little loud when drawing your bow back. You want to make sure your bow is tuned or it wont matter what rest you have..
We'll have to agree to disagree on this. Shoot a Blazer or some other kind of low profile vane, and the rest doesn't matter at all. A WB won't harm a Blazer; I know because its what I've used for the last 5 years, and I shoot a lot of arrows out of my hunting bow. I'm also going to have to respectfully disagree on the fact that a WB makes the bow draw loud when in contact with the arrow. Everyone I know uses one for hunting...never heard any complaints about loud draw.

I will agree that having the bow in tune is essential. If the bow isn't set up properly to begin with, no accessory will make a difference.

· Registered
8,234 Posts
I have to say that the WB isn't loud on the draw as well. Mine is as quiet/or quieter than any resty I've ever shot. As far as accuracy, I shoot mine as well as any fall-a-way I've shot. If your form sucks then the biscuit will show it...so I guess to those that don't like it maybe you'd be better served to work on your form. The biscuit is the best hunting rest out there if yoy ask me, it's simple and just plain works.

· Registered
2,652 Posts
There are always good points and bad points to anything. WB rest:
Good points: 1. You do not need to worry about the arrow falling off of the rest hunting or target. 2. No moving parts to adjust when tuning.

Bad points: 1. As other posters have stated wear on the rest and fletching.
2. Accuracy is a function of everything staying the same. You must use a shaft that is as large as or larger than the hole in the WB. You should be ok. If the arrow is smaller than the hole in the WB it will affect accuracy. It is a variable of where the arrow is inside the WB hole, effectivly changing center shot and elevation of your launch point. That will affect accuracy.

· Registered
1,316 Posts
As with most things it depends on what your definition of several things there are.

What do you mean by "accurate" - are you shooting FITA and trying to get into the winners circle? Then no, chuck it and get something better (fall away or launcher). Are you looking to hit 8 inch kills zone out to thirty yards - yep just fine and you will not tell a difference.

A WB is like having a bow with 0" brace height with respect to forgiveness. It is mechanically as consistent as any other rest out there and, therefore, if you are consistent it will be too. There have been some top shooters prove certain things, one is shooting with a WB, I've also seen them post some really high scores with a Genesis Pro. However I note none of them do it when real money is on the line.

However, if a contained arrow is a requirement there are a number of fall-aways that contain the arrow out on the market today. I would go with them over a WB myself. You will most likely not shoot any better, however your bad shots usually will not be as bad (and is ultimately what "forgiveness" means).

· Registered
960 Posts
I really can't tell a lot of difference in a drop away and the biscuit. For hunting it is hard to beat the biscuit.

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
Nope

There are always good points and bad points to anything. WB rest:
Good points: 1. You do not need to worry about the arrow falling off of the rest hunting or target. 2. No moving parts to adjust when tuning.

Bad points: 1. As other posters have stated wear on the rest and fletching.
2. Accuracy is a function of everything staying the same. You must use a shaft that is as large as or larger than the hole in the WB. You should be ok. If the arrow is smaller than the hole in the WB it will affect accuracy. It is a variable of where the arrow is inside the WB hole, effectivly changing center shot and elevation of your launch point. That will affect accuracy.
You've obviously never used a WB before...because if you had you would know that Trophy Ridge (the owner of the WB) recommends that you actually leave a gap of 0.003" between the top of the arrow and the top whiskers. The minute you start using an arrow that fills the hole, the arrow is too big. The amount of variation you will see as the arrow "changes position" inside the hole is immeasurable, at least to you and me.

· Registered
112 Posts
I used the WB for 2 years! great rest. I just got the QAD HD and I like it alot!
No vane contact at all and tighter arrow groups for me. Everyone has different likes and tastes and this whole WB and drop away fight is nuts! Use what works best for you!!:cheers:

· Registered
604 Posts
I shot my first Fita 1440 with a whisker biscuit and a total hunting rig no accuracy positions.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.