Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you ever realize how much you can move your bow to shoot a 9 instead of a ten at 50 meters at a 80 cm target?

If we reduce to left and right movements for the ease of calculations, then we talk a bout a circle of 50*2*3.1415 meters that you can cover by turning around your axis. That is 314.15 meters of which only 0.04 meters form the 10.
From the archers point of view this is about 0.046 degrees. If you translate that over your 28 inch arrow, then you can move the bow left and right and down and up only 0.57mm, assuming that you do everything the same and perfect each time and there is no wind.

You see this letter >o< On your screen this is about 4 times bigger than you are allowed to move your hand. Incredibly you can't move more than that.

Nice thing to think about next time you shoot another 30 with three arrows.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
on the same note, to go from pinwheeling the X to a center of the ring right or left 9 at 90 meters, it's a variation of 1/3 of 1 degree.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It gets even worse when one thinks about how you hit a golf ball - the size of the head of the club, the sheer amount of planes you are swinging through, and the accuracy/precission one needs is breath taking.

But, like golf, this isn't just a simply "how far can you wobble" thing. Your brain (one of the most amazing things on this planet) takes so many variables into account when you let it focus on the goal that it makes it work.

Yes, you math works out (or rather I'm too lazy to check it and it isn;t far off even if wrong), but what you are missing is that your brain can control for all sorts of things including grip, sight picture, anchor, and for those of us that have to release with our brains (say, finger shooters) then that too (heck, I'm not so sure that your brain learns on multiple hinge releases too). The trick here is that your *conscious* brain can not do that, it can not do much more than simply figure out what it wants to hit.

There was a great shot of, I think, the Japanese archer in the 2008 Olympics where his follow through was - shall we say dynamic - yet it hit a 9. I have it taped to the bottom limb of my recurve to remind me to focus on the gold and let my mind figure out the rest. Anyone who watched the match will know of what I speak, my other computer died and I have not moved the pictures over nor can I find it with google. His follow through pretty much ended with his stab nearly hitting the back of his head, he was obviously off the target when it clicked and he "compensated". Not that I would recommend letting the arrow go (I would expect Olympic level archers to let down and start over), yet it was a perfect example of how ones mind can work amazing things when we start looking at how exact he had to be - we like to say "luck" but luck had nothing to do with it. Focus on the goal and let your body/mind do the rest obviously carried through there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes there I wanted to go to. Somehow the brain compensates for the small errors you make in an incredible way.
If the arrow is not pointing in the ten, some of us do a miracle movement at the last moment.
Letting the string go slower, faster or pluck. Moving the forehand left right up down. Putting pressure in the grip left right downwards.

Some people literally compensate high throw the arrow in the ten.

For the Japanese guy from the example above. You can go from relaxed during the first arrows going slowly into stressed. Then you start to over perform.
What I want to say is that when you are doing relaxed, then you leave the whole performance to you right brain. Doing it with your unconsciousness.
When you get stressed, then you start to interfere and >you< your ratio or your left brain demands attention. And conscientiously you can't shoot tens.

The Japanese guy knew he had to perform and he knew that in order to shoot a ten, he had to follow through. And probably he did this follow through on purpose conscientiously.

He might have had luck, but he hadn't.

Notice that all this is actually more mind boggling by knowing the margin that you are having described above, because the margin does not change.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Good calculation and maths! But, I really shouldn't have read this...

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
yea.. great.. thanks.. something else to ponder and screw up my shot.. i prefer to blame the equipment.

·
Genesis 21:20
21,065 Posts
Interesting topic. Thanks for working out the math. I wouldn't have bothered, but it is interesting. The human body is an amazing thing alright. The good Lord really knew what he was doing when He put us together.

The one thing I think about when this topic comes up is that the center of an open aperture ring is still very, VERY small ;)

John.

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
someone asked Babe Ruth what he was thinking about when he tried to hit a 95MPH fastball pitch. He said if he tried to think about it, he'd never hit it./

Ponder that:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts