Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story, I'll try to shorten it up best I can.

First off, before anyone asks, EVERYTHING here is 100% true, and 100% legal in Pennsylvania!

My friend Rob and I checked my trail cam yesterday, and there were tons of pics of big coyotes on it. So, we decided to go hunting them last night right there. I have a nice, pretty big homemade blind there that would work perfect.

Oh and as for our set-up, We were both sprayed down and fairly scent free, he had a Rem. 30-06 with a scope and 5 rounds for it. I had the big spotlight, and my .380 semi-auto pistol with 8 rounds in it. Obviously he was the shooter. We both had smaller lights for walking in.

So we get out there a little before 11pm last night, set up our mobile rabbit decoy, and got in the blind. We started with a locator howler/yip call. Heard Nothing, which is kinda weird for that area, but figured maybe they were close already as they are all over in there. Waited awhile, then started squawking on the rabbit in distress diaphram call. Note the moving decoy is about 12 yards in front of us, and its a pretty thick area, the farthest you can see anywhere is maybe 30 yards directly in front of us. Didn't hear any vocalizations, but heard some sticks/leaves rustling once, hit the light, saw nothing.

Waited awhile, then got back after the Rabbit call. Still nothing. Waited for about 4 minutes. At this point, we have been in the blind for a total of about 15-20 minutes. Rob decided to hit the locater once, and do a "bark, bark, howl". Well, he got to the Bark.

As soon as he barked loud and sharp, this "thing" jumped as if it were startled. It was about 5 to 6 feet away from us, downwind, over our left shoulder and it came in the thickest way possible through golden rods and brush. It was a very heavy animal, I would say around 100 pounds give or take a little. We could feel the ground tremble below our feet when this thing jumped. Then, it was gone in like NOW. It covered 20 yards in 2 bounds and was gone. We yelled and hit the lights and pulled up our weapons. We saw it for just a flash. It was light colored, looked almost white to me. It was low to the ground, long, and extremely fast and agile. It was not taller than the golden rods. It was definitly not a bear. I have seen thousands and harvested bear before, Rob has as well. This was NOT a bear.

This animal was after us, and I'm just glad we startled it. We were in the blind, but it would have easily gotten in. We never, never heard this animal coming. It certainly had to have smelled us. It was right downwind, with us on the ground, and a mere 5 to 6 feet away. We were also talking right before this happened, not loud, but a good back and forth wisper which was definitly loud enough for this animal to hear. It knew we were humans, and it didn't care.

After it ran off, we briefly looked for tracks, checked in trees, etc. We then got into the most place we could, and packed up our stuff. Our Fiancee's were hanging out at my house, so I called and breifly described the situation and told them if we were not back in 30 minutes, to call the police. My Fiancee knows where the blind is.

We managed to cover each other and walk back out, wich is VERY THICK the entire way. We stayed close, made lots of noise, and kept our weapons ready. But ofcourse the spotlight was dying fast. I cant stress how thick the area is. Its all low brush, golden rods, and nasty thick swamp land. We finally made it out just as the light was really, really dead. We did flush a woodcock right under our feet on the walk out and screamed like little girls and drew our weapons on it.

So, Here's the facts:

It was heavy (100ish pounds)
It was low to ground
It was very light colored
It was long and lanky
It was very stealthy
It was hunting us, and it knew it
It was very fast
It was very agile.
It was NOT a bear, bobcat, coyote, deer, or fox.

We were not believers before this, especially me. But, is it really possible that there could be mountain lions in Pennsylvania? I really didn't think there could be. But I really don't know now.... I know what I saw and felt.

Has anyone honeslty seen one here before? Any experiences, pics, etc? This is in Bradford, PA. 16701, which is in NW PA on the NY border. Lots and lots of real deep forests and swamps here.

My trail cam is still out there. I'm really hoping for some kind of a pic. It will take a picture or clear sightning for me to believe 100 percent.

Sorry This is so long.

(No it wasn't the cat pulling the 8 point around, he's too busy covering the country.)

Any thoughts?

·
Hunt Fair Chase
2,596 Posts
Either Bigfoot or a chupacabra.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitly wasn't a coyote. Shot hundreds of them. Called them in to mere feet many times. We are both avid outdoorsman and have hunted together for many years.

Also before it comes up, neither of us were under the influence of anything.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
So, Here's the facts:

It was low to ground
It was long and lanky
It was very stealthy
It was very fast
It was very agile.
Sounds like the perfect description of the Giant River Otter from the Amazon.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
So, Here's the facts:

It was low to ground
It was long and lanky
It was very stealthy
It was very fast
It was very agile.

Any thoughts?
:noidea: Maybe a anaconda?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
C'mon guys. Anyone serious here? This is all 100 percent true. This one isn't a joke....

·
Registered
467 Posts
Baby werewolf.

·
Banned
2,877 Posts
No doubt it was a Mntn lion! Yes they are in just about every state now, especially the northeast..I don't care what the State wildlife officials say, they are there! Here in Va., they claim to have none, but when you go into the Shenandoah national park to go hiking, they give you a pamphlet with different foot prints, and one is a paw print that is big and it says to report if saw.
Would you ever see one if you weren't using a predator call? Highly unlikely!
Feel lucky that you actually saw, at least part of one.
Scary though!

·
"Catch Us If You Can"
3,269 Posts
C'mon guys. Anyone serious here? This is all 100 percent true. This one isn't a joke....
I really just don't believe your going to call in a mountain lion then scare it away with a coyote bark. If it was a mountain lion which I suspect it was not you probably would have gotten pummled when you did the coyote bark if it was actually hunting you. Theres a way better chance of you being wrong and it being a large coyote than you being right and it being a mountain lion. sorry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like a mountain lion to me.

http: * //pahuntfishshoot * .com/? * p=242

I can't post links yet, but delete asterisks and remove spaces for evidence.

·
"Catch Us If You Can"
3,269 Posts
Sounds like a mountain lion to me.

http: * //pahuntfishshoot * .com/? * p=242

I can't post links yet, but delete asterisks and remove spaces for evidence.
lol yea thats about a crock of a website there the 2nd picture was already confirmed that it was from texas. what a joke

·
Registered
793 Posts
It was a coyote after the rabbit 12 yds from you... Or an alien... that possible but they usually look in your windows, never heard of them in a swamp.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts