Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
For sure? still on the fence about this one, Just seems like any big buck shot with a bow during rifle season is gonna have alot of doubt behind it. (or any deer shot during rifle season with a bow tag on it)

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
you guys got all the info. how about people using a rifle in Waupaca County? insted of a shot gun.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Here is e-mail letter
New Rules for the 2011 Hunting Season
You are subscribed to White-Tailed Deer for Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.
Earlier this year, the Natural Resources Board approved several new rules pertaining to the current license year hunting seasons. These rules were not immediately in place because they needed to undergo a legislative review process. This process is now complete for these rules, and they will be in effect starting this fall. These changes are not reflected in the printed version of the hunting regulations, but will be updated in the online versions of the regulation booklets in the near future.
These new rules are:
1. Rifles will be allowed in Waupaca County for the 9-day firearm deer season.
2. The fall turkey hunting season will be extended for turkey zones 1-5. Turkey hunting will be allowed from November 28 – December 31. This late season has occurred for the past two years during a trial period, but is now a permanent season that will occur annually.
3. The archery deer season will now be open concurrently with the 9-day firearm deer season. In 2011, the early archery season will run from September 17 – November 17 and the late archery season will run from November 19 – January 8, 2012. Bow hunters will be required to comply with the blaze orange clothing requirement any time a firearm deer season is occurring in the area of the state where they are hunting.
4. Each period of the spring turkey season will be extended by two days. The dates for each period during the 2012 season are as follows:
a. Period A April 11-17
b. Period B April 18-24
c. Period C April 25- May 1
d. Period D May 2-8
e. Period E May 9-15
f. Period F May 16-22

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
E-Mail from DNR rifle is approved in Waupaca Co.

1. Rifles will be allowed in Waupaca County for the 9-day firearm deer season
:thumbs_up;):thumbs_up;):thumbs_up;):thumbs_up;):thumbs_up;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Pardon my laziness but if I have already harvested a buck with my bow, can I buy a gun license and use that to take a buck with my bow again if I choose?

P

·
0 Posts
For sure? still on the fence about this one, Just seems like any big buck shot with a bow during rifle season is gonna have alot of doubt behind it. (or any deer shot during rifle season with a bow tag on it)
This was sort of my initial reaction as well. Shoot a buck opening day (gun), tag it with your archery tag (if you don't intend on hunting late season) and then be able to sit the rest of the gun season waiting for another buck. Some people are ****ty, some people are honest. I don't completely understand the advantage of having archery season open during the gun season.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
I dont think there is any advantage - I think it gives options to those that may choose not to partake in the sport as a firearm and were disappointed they couldnt continue to hunt with a bow, and understand the implentation of having to wear blaze orange etc.

Just my thought.

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
When the idea was born it was done so to open thousands of acres of hunting land closed to firearms hunting. Land always open to bowhunting during the bow season but never allowing gun deer hunting but since one could not bowhunt during the gun deer season those lands were needlessly closed to any and all deer hunting for nine days. In the Southern part of the state, lots of land is in close proximity to big population centers where firearms discharge is prohibited but bowhunting was allowed except for 9 days. This created deer refuges in the exact areas that need population reduction. Now those lands can be hunted by Bowhunters during the gun deer season.

I can see no reason NOT to have the bow season open during the gun deer season. There are people that don’t gun hunt but like to bowhunt. Until now, they were not allowed to hunt 9 days of the rut. Bowhunting already takes place during all the other gun deer hunts (Oct herd control, youth hunt, disabled hunt, Muzzleloader hunt, Dec. herd control hunt, etc) so its long been established that bowhunting and gun hunting can coexist so again I can see no reason not to allow bowhunting during those nine days.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts