Archery Talk Forum banner

Weak spine help.

1854 Views 18 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  oktx
I changed limbs and now my arrows are giving me a weak spine reaction.:confused: Same arrows, BH, and draw lenth and weight.
If I put heaver and longer vanes on will this help?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,565 Posts
Nope. I bet you have to lower your draw weight. SRM

· Registered
47,636 Posts
I'm confused, too. If all the bow's specs are the same you shouldn't be getting a weak spine reaction, right? New, identical limbs couldn't cause this.

Go through everything. It must be something else. Fletch contact can be a big culprit, especially with uncurable tears....assuming you were paper tuning with an incurable horizontal tear. Tears to the side that rest adjustments don't fix are usually cable or riser contact (but could be the rest hitting on one side creating a high-left up close), while most vertical tears are arrow rest or shelf contact (or bad cam timing in some cases). Excessive limb twist or cam lean can also cause horizontal tears.

Smear some lipstick on your vanes and take a shot. See if you're hitting something.

· Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm confused, too. If all the bow's specs are the same you shouldn't be getting a weak spine reaction, right? New, identical limbs couldn't cause this.

Go through everything. It must be something else. Fletch contact can be a big culprit, especially with uncurable tears....assuming you were paper tuning with an incurable horizontal tear. Tears to the side that rest adjustments don't fix are usually cable or riser contact (but could be the rest hitting on one side creating a high-left up close), while most vertical tears are arrow rest or shelf contact (or bad cam timing in some cases). Excessive limb twist or cam lean can also cause horizontal tears.

Smear some lipstick on your vanes and take a shot. See if you're hitting something.
I had a cracked limb and had them changed. I was told they were a little lighter than the other 70 lb. limbs i had on the bow. The bow was never paper tuned, only broadhead tuned. I shoot a WB rest. The BH's hit to the right of my FP's at 30 yds. They are good at 20 yds.

· Registered
47,636 Posts
I had a cracked limb and had them changed. I was told they were a little lighter than the other 70 lb. limbs i had on the bow. The bow was never paper tuned, only broadhead tuned. I shoot a WB rest. The BH's hit to the right of my FP's at 30 yds. They are good at 20 yds.

Then checking for clearance is going to be tough. :lol: You have broadhead tuned only after changing limbs? That won't help much in identifying issues with the setup, like contact issues and things of that nature.

Since you are BH tuning already, try moving the rest left a bit. And make sure you aren't canting, and trust the sight's bubble if it's properly levelled.

But it's hard to really know what is happening over the internet. I'd need to see the bow to be of much more help.

· Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then checking for clearance is going to be tough. :lol: You have broadhead tuned only after changing limbs? That won't help much in identifying issues with the setup, like contact issues and things of that nature.

Since you are BH tuning already, try moving the rest left a bit. And make sure you aren't canting, and trust the sight's bubble if it's properly levelled.

But it's hard to really know what is happening over the internet. I'd need to see the bow to be of much more help.
It was BH tuned before the limbs were changed and would fly a Muzzy 3 blade and Magnus Buzzcut perfectly out to 40 yds. I new my arrows were very close to being too weak and Maybe my bow was out of spec. before and the tune up pushed them over the edge?

· Registered
47,636 Posts
It was BH tuned before the limbs were changed and would fly a Muzzy 3 blade and Magnus Buzzcut perfectly out to 40 yds. I new my arrows were very close to being too weak and Maybe my bow was out of spec. before and the tune up pushed them over the edge?
Or perhaps your limbs lie straighter inline with the riser after being replaced. This would move the path of the string in a left/right manner and would require the rest be moved, too, to put it in front of the string's "power path".

Either way, if you change anything big on a bow, any bow, such as limbs, string, cables and so on, you will have to retune the bow. If it won't tune then I'd worry about the arrow spine. And if they are weak, a turn of the limb bolts could clear things right up and it won't cost anything.

· Registered
7,765 Posts
I would say that you probably don't have the yoke on your cable
adjusted quite right. If it's tearing tail left put a twist or two on the left
side of the yoke and see if that helps.

· Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
you didnt say what # to what # you changed or even what arrow and spine your using no way to get a half way good answer
70 lbs for 70 lbs. Limbs were 6M went to 6L. i was told 6L was about 2 lbs. less. Easton Excel Carbonareos (old model) cut to 27 throat of the nock to insert. 100 grain heads. 29 inch DL.

· Registered
2,847 Posts
So are those arrows 400's or 340's?

· Registered
1,565 Posts
Good choice. The 400's sound weak for a 70 pound bow. Let us know how it goes. SRM

· Registered
47,636 Posts
Save a few bucks and confirm your suspicions by turning the DW down a bit first. 400s are more than likely weak for 70#, but you could shoot at 64/65# and probably be OK without buying more arrows. Something to think about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.