Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
That's just sad! I understand those black straps are a pain that we normally use so i got a HSS rope that's much easier. Ive been in a few hangons that have lifelines but the lifeline isn't very comfortable when sitting the way its positioned and have had to swap out from it to the HSS rope and man was i a nervous wreck. I talked to a guy along time ago about wearing a harness with a climber and he said he was a lineman or something and knew what he was doing. I just shook my head.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Admittedly, I used to be bad about not attaching to tree until I got climbed up to the height I wanted to hunt. I quit doing that a few years ago and now I literally attach before I even step up into my climber. I use the rope to help me climb in and I stay attached until my feet are back on the ground. I know a guy that nearly died a couple of years ago when he fell. I think he was trying to hang a lock on but I'm not 100% sure, doesn't really matter, we all need to wear our harnesses from the second we leave the ground until our feet are back on land. There's someone or a bunch of someones that want you to come home safe.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
My nephew just started bow hunting. I gave him one of my harnesses, lineman’s belt, and a HSS rope.
And I gave him a lecture about watching his one year old daughter grow up.

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
There is no excuse for not being attached from the ground to ground . Then for a bit more insurance you can find a descender device to help in case you actually fall and need to get back to the ground. COST IS NOT A EXCUSE TO NOT HAVE SOMETHING.

·
Catty Shack
12,343 Posts
A lifeline - even one you move up as you climb - would most likely have prevented this.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
That one hits too close to home for me.
Ten minutes away, if that.

So sad because it is so easily prevented, but I guess we could say that about almost any kind of accident.

·
Registered
17,783 Posts
So sad, I have those plastic clips on my traction belt that your prussic rope attaches too so it goes right up the tree with you!

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
So sad, I have those plastic clips on my traction belt that your prussic rope attaches too so it goes right up the tree with you!
Enlighten me on those clips I'm very interested for my hand climber

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Team #9
8,609 Posts
very sad ....I see it happened on public land ..one thing that concerns me is on most of the public land, stands have to be taken down and removed daily...if you hunt the evenings in very cold weather after sitting a few hours in the cold on stand ,, not the safest thing to be taking your stand down in the dark, your motor skills not working the best when your freezing . I would prefer
a 3 day rule or something give you chance to remove it when your comfortable ..I feel someone not falling is more important than someone taken your spot...

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
If you won't do it for yourself, do it so that your friends and family won't have to suffer finding your feces smelling body with maggots in your eyes and mouth. Imagine trying to sleep with that image of your brother, father, friend every night. Don't be selfish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts