Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
NFAA
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I don't do this...

We shoot at a couple of clubs that allow the members to wear earplugs. Is this allowed? Wouldn't this be a safety violation?

Their complaint is that conversations off the shooting line are too distracting for them! We aren't talking loud stories, just normal level talking at least 20 feet from the line.

I don't know of any rule that demands silence, other than just common courtesy....

Thoughts???

SB

·
Registered
219 Posts
I too thought about this, just for added focus, but decided against it for the safety reasons. We do have one guy who shoots with headphones some times though. Says it is a very weird feeling. I also wouldn't do it because I like to hear and feel my clicker. Don't know if i would be able to just go by feel.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I shoot with earbuds in if I'm at the range by myself. I'll shoot with only one in if there is one other person on the range that I know well and we aren't engaging in conversation between shooting. Any more than that, they come out, and go back in the quiver.

·
Genesis 21:20
22,536 Posts

·
Life is short, live it!
1,193 Posts
Not being able hear commands aside, can you imagine the surprise when the cable gets wrapped around the string somehow? I've hooked it with my hand while running before. Gets your attention faster than a car horn.

·
Sinverguenza
2,727 Posts
I routinely wear a bluetooth headset. Sometimes it's on and playing music; sometimes I just keep them in my ears to discourage people from yammering at me every other arrow. I wouldn't use it in tournament, But I found it's a much more diplomatic way than saying " I really don't want to listen to your trash talk."

I'm all for friendly banter between ends, ( I really am!:) but there are a few people who just don't get that you don't stand behind a guy at full draw and talk at him.

The cables never get in the way because they're Bluetooth, and you wouldn't even know I'm wearing headphones unless one looked at my ears the band goes behind my headband.

While I'm sure it might be considered antisocial by a few people, I really can't control their opinions. I usually only have a very limited time window to shoot, and when I manage to make it to the range and build my bow, that's really all I want to do.

I leave one ear unplugged, so I can hear anything going on around me ...and I usually shoot at one end of the line so I can see when everyone is ready to clear.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I think if it's that serious that you can't shoot with normal sidebar conversation going you're probably better suited just shooting in your back yard. This is a sport where people talk. Unless maybe you're an Olympian.

·
Wanderer
165 Posts
Its a safety violation. We dont allow people to wear earbuds or earplugs on our field. If people want to hear music, we have a radio that can be turned down by a non-shooting archer. Also, background conversation is something archers should deal with because it WILL happen. They should practice with it.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
What is not legal? Shooting with earplugs or shooting with headphones?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Both are against WA rules. Headphones have been a violation of the "no electronics" rule from the beginning of that rule, and earplugs were added more recently.

Technically you can't even carry your music player and headphones down range in your quiver, though most judges overlook this as long as you aren't wearing the phones.

·
Sinverguenza
2,727 Posts
I think if it's that serious that you can't shoot with normal sidebar conversation going you're probably better suited just shooting in your back yard. This is a sport where people talk. Unless maybe you're an Olympian.

I can't speak for the archers in the OP's post, but for me it's not a matter of inability to concentrate. I actually like normal sidebar chatter, and will even listen to low volume spoken word podcasts when no one is at the range and it's TOO quiet. Again, I would not do it in any sort of a tournament setting.

YMMV.

·
Don't Tread On Anyone
1,498 Posts
But I found it's a much more diplomatic way than saying " I really don't want to listen to your trash talk."

I'm all for friendly banter between ends, ( I really am!:) but there are a few people who just don't get that you don't stand behind a guy at full draw and talk at him.
What's the context of this talking at you? If people are deliberately talking at you while you are at full draw to bother you that is highly highly inappropriate behavior. It's real ******* behavior.

·
Genesis 21:20
22,536 Posts
I've always found it best to just be direct with folks who are pissing me off. :D

·
Sinverguenza
2,727 Posts
What's the context of this talking at you? If people are deliberately talking at you while you are at full draw to bother you that is highly highly inappropriate behavior. It's real ******* behavior.

It takes all kinds:)

Nah... while there are sometimes loud trash talkers bashing someone's form or rig but that's easy to tune out, and they don't stand behind me deliberately...

I enjoy the new folks who want to talk about equipment, but don't understand the "between arrows or ends" etiquette quite yet. I dig folks that are excited to learn as I am very much the same way!

It's mostly the folks that blast through their dozen arrows quickly, get bored waiting for "clear" to be called, and come wait behind me and talk at me while I'm still shooting. It doesn't happen every time, but with a mix of hunters / trad shooters / Olympic recurvers etc theres often a chatty impatient Kathy. Headphones discourage dialogue, even if they are mock.

I totally realize that I'm coming across as stuffy and that's not my intent. I was merely pointing out that maybe those people (in the OP) have a reason they are wearing earplugs. Right or wrong.

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
In my opinioin it would be a safety issue because it would impair an archers ability to hear range commands or whistles.
That would be my first thought, but hearing protection is used at *all* gun ranges, and safety is a priority at gun ranges. So I'm not sure it is a black and white issue.

·
Sinverguenza
2,727 Posts
I've always found it best to just be direct with folks who are pissing me off. :D
John,

Oh, if someone's pissing me off I'll be quite direct with them:)

If they're merely an irritating person (and perhaps have no idea that they're an irritating person) I'd rather do what I can to reduce the irritation caused to me, and leave hurt feelings out of it. I'm willing to place the onus of being an antisocial a-hole squarely over my own ears.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
That would be my first thought, but hearing protection is used at *all* gun ranges, and safety is a priority at gun ranges. So I'm not sure it is a black and white issue.
Just to 'state the obvious" (and not to imply that you don't know this) "Hearing protection" earplugs or headphones aren't designed to completely eliminate normal sounds/noises - only to cut the top off of the firearms' reports so that it doesn't damage one's hearing. But that type of hearing protectors doesn't seem to be - at least the way I read his post - the type the OP is alluding to. He seems to be describing ear 'plugs' or music ear pieces that block out normal talking level noise. That would definitely qualify as a safety issue imo. Being "unaware" is being unsafe.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts