Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of CWD does anyone do this or am I alone? I have a friend that developed a nasty rash a few years ago and his doctor claimed he had a reaction from his hands contacting the blood of his elk. He now must wear gloves while cleaning game. Any suggestions on which type are the best?!
Elk Country

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
For the longest time I didn't worry about it. Last year I started and most likely will continue. Didn't really worry about catching anything, but it sure makes clean up easier.

·
Simon Cowel of AT
6,595 Posts
I am deathly allergic to deer hair. Break out in hives, eyes will swell shut and sneeze to all get out.

I use the blue dishwashing gloves. They are thick enough to not get ripped easily, tuff enough to use all season and long enough to really stick your hands in deep with out covering your sleeves with blood. I go mine at a Riteaid. DCM

·
Registered
172 Posts
I allways carry a few pairs of field dressing gloves with me in my day pack. not because of CWD but because it makes clean up nice and most of the time I'm cleaning a deer it's mid-winter and I can dry & warm my hands quicker.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I started wearing gloves last year.

There is no telling how many game animals I have cleaned without the need of gloves, in 48 years of hunting. Well last year a friend of my who is a lot more worried about blood on his hands and clothes than I will ever be, handed me a pair and not to hurt his feelings I pulled them on.

I'll have to admit it was a lot easier to clean up after I was done, still got blood up to my elbows and all over my pants. But hey when you reach up in a big ol'bucks neck to cut his windpipe you gotta get a little blood on ya'.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I always wear the $1.00 disposable type that go up to you shoulders, just because it makes cleanup a lot easyer. When butchering deer I wear latex disposable the type you buy by the box.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
You need to wear gloves when field dressing and skinning wild hogs...they have some kinda bacteria or something that has been known to cause death.
They have warnings at all the check stations around here and even give you gloves.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I like the kind that wallyworld sells for a buck or so - they're usually clear or orange plastic, and go up to the shoulder... I then put on a pair of latex gloves over 'em - keeps everything out of the way nicely... I do it more for the convienience of clean-up rather than for health precautions - I suppose it doesn't hurt, though... They do make clean-up easy - keeps most of the "stuff" off of you - and can still double as heart and liver bags if so desired... I also once used them as bags for the backstraps after "quartering and strapping" a deer in the field, because I was WAY back in, hunting by myself, night was rapidly approaching, and I didn't feel like dragging the whole deer that far out... Sometimes I'll wash 'em off, and get more than one use out of them - with the use of a new set of latex gloves the next time... I've been known to kill "a few" deer in a season, so sometimes I find little ways to economize... In other words, I'm a fan of the feild dressing gloves, but don't view them as a necessity...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
since I dip copenhagen I use them cause right after I'm finished skinning and cutting up the deer I need to refreshen my dip......without blood on it!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Damn straight

Yes please use gloves you are coming in contact with the blood of a warm blooded animal and there are some things that you may not know but you don't want to take a chance. Kildog and I have gutted and skinned many a animal but a few years ago we started wearing the rip resistance rubber gloves they work great and when you get finished just chunck them. and yes your hands are clean enough to refresh the dip..........:D

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I wear them because they are cheap and easy for cleanup.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I got my Dominican Republic cigars instead.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I use surgical gloves available at any drug store.They go up over your wrist a little ways,still sometimes get a little blood on me.
My main reason for wearing them is so I don't get my bow/gun bloody.:D You always gotta look out for #1.......:D

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've been using surgical gloves to field dress deer for several years.I started it for easy clean up.Now with all the blood borne diseases,It's not a bad idea for health reasons.I put two or three pair in a 35 mm film canister and put them in my day pack.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I use the yellow dishwashing gloves that you can get at Family Dollar for about a $1.00. They come up to mid-forearm, so you don't get too messy, and they're cheap enough to be disposable. I also buy them one size too small, that way I get a nice tight fit. I don't want want my knife slipping on me.

Ray C.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've used gloves for many years. I keep a box of heavy guage palpation sleeves (full arm length plastic gloves) on hand. Can get them at feed stores or from a vet supply. Carry one for each arm, pair of rubber latex gloves to go over that for better feel and two hemostats to clip the top of the sleeves to my clothing sleeves so they don't slip down. Keeps you clean and when done, you simply roll the sleeves off inside out and tie a knot in the end. Everything is rolled up inside and can be cleanly packed out of the woods.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
nope have never used them but I think I might just because of the clean up part of it.
Boone

1 - 20 of 45 Posts