Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going on my first elk hunt september 6-13 unit 81. What type of temperature range sleeping bag should I bring? I have invested in some sitka gear and will have layers, but not sure on sleeping bag. Any help or tips for a new elk hunter would be greatly appreciated

·
I like elk!
18,438 Posts
A 20* bag if buying quality(WM,FF, or some of the quality quilts like EE or Hammock Gear)

A 0* bag if buying low quality.

Your choice of pad is almost as important as your choice of bag.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a alps mountaineering bag 0° not sure if that a good one or not. I was going to get a klymit pad.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,363 Posts
I don't generate much heat unless I'm moving, so I use a 0 degree quilt for packing in through September and a -30 rectangular bag for winter and sometimes even September base camp.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
A lot depends on what your sleeping in and on. If you backpack in and sleep on the ground you need a warmer bag than if you sleep in an RV or a big tent with a cot with a 4" foam pad.

·
Registered
2009 D350 2020 Kifaru Hoodlum/Tactical
195 Posts
Assuming you are sleeping on a pad in a tent, I'd go with a 15 degree bag or less. I've seen temps in the 50's at night, and woke up with snow piled up around the tent. Be prepared for whatever weather. I've seen it all in 80-81

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Be ready for wide temp swings, we’ve been there the last 3 years and it’s gone from 80 during the day to freezing that night. Most days won’t be that bad but it’s Colorado and unpredictable. I run a 20 degree hammock gear quilt and a Neoair X therm pad. Worst case I layer up to sleep.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are packing in. I am going to go with a klymit sleeping pad and the alps mountaineering bag 0° rated. Appreciate all the advise

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'll be hunting unit 81 Sept. 11-18. It will be my second trip. The weather is unpredictable and there are frequent quick moving storms that blow through. It will be sunny and beautiful one minute and then a quick 5 minute hail storm will blow through and then it will clear up. Last time I was there it got pretty cold at night, little below freezing but got up to 80ish during the day. I found that I only needed light and mid weight gear because you get pretty warm moving along. We camp at Jim Creek just west of La Jara resevoir.

·
I like elk!
18,438 Posts
Check the compressed size and weight of that Alps bag...I bet it’s heavy and huge and even though it says it’s rated for 0* it’s probably more like a 15-20

·
Registered
18,984 Posts
Buy once & cry once! since 1968 have been to CO. about 40 times & have seen highs of 95+ & lows down to 10 degrees. You can always open up your bag if to warm but if it gets cold & don't have enough warm bag it really makes them nights LONG & very uncomfortable & that can make for a bad hunt.
Have already seen 8+" of snow one night.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll be hunting unit 81 Sept. 11-18. It will be my second trip. The weather is unpredictable and there are frequent quick moving storms that blow through. It will be sunny and beautiful one minute and then a quick 5 minute hail storm will blow through and then it will clear up. Last time I was there it got pretty cold at night, little below freezing but got up to 80ish during the day. I found that I only needed light and mid weight gear because you get pretty warm moving along. We camp at Jim Creek just west of La Jara resevoir.
We have some spots picked out along elk creek just to the west of la jara. its our first time there. have you been in elk when you have gone? We are going the 6-13th

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yes, we saw a good number of elk. We started honing in on them near the end of our trip, the bulls started bugling the last few days. This was 2018 though, I wasn't able to go last year. One of the guys my dad and I hunt with has been hunting the same unit for 40 years so he knows plenty of spots. We saw elk the first evening of the hunt. My dad drew a muzzleloader bull and a bear tag this year so it will just be me and one other guy in our group doing OTC archery. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2009 D350 2020 Kifaru Hoodlum/Tactical
195 Posts
We are packing in. I am going to go with a klymit sleeping pad and the alps mountaineering bag 0° rated. Appreciate all the advise
If you are packing in, even more of a reason to be prepared for it all

·
Registered
144 Posts
Check the compressed size and weight of that Alps bag...I bet it’s heavy and huge and even though it says it’s rated for 0* it’s probably more like a 15-20
This!! Drop the money on a nice bag and you will be much happier in the end. I'm having a custom quilt sewn for me right now, very expensive, but I intend on using it for years and it will be under 1lbs when done.

If you are packing in, ounces = lbs and lbs = PAIN!! Any extra weight will add up over miles and you will be hurting by the end. I do a lot of backpacking and have my setup dialed. When not hunting i have a base weight under 10lbs. While hunting I go up in weight, but still keep it as low as possible. This allows me to go farther easier, and have a more enjoyable hunt.

Since this is your first time out, set your expectations correctly. Don't expect that you will get into elk because others have, you may not even see them. So many guys never even see elk when they are out. Be mobile, don't lock yourself into 1 spot. Be prepared for 20*-90* and that could all happen over the course of 2 days...

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I would do a little research on that bag. It is god awful to be on the mountain with an unproven sleep system. Just because the company puts a 0* rating on it does not mean you will stay warm. Add the fact you are packing in and weight would really make me spend a little time learning the product before. The marmot never summer can be found at Sierra Trading Post and Steep and Deep for a very good price. There are good systems out there once you know what to look for.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts