Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have some antlers that have been in my barn for a while, and i'd like to bring them in and display them. they're not really weathered, just faded. iv'e thought about wood stain to put some color back into them, but was wondering what anyone else has tried?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I've heard instant coffee works, but I'd test it out on a set of antlers your willing to "test" it out on first.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I rubbed mine on a tree like a deer would do...It brought the natural color back but it does take some elbow grease to do them

·
Registered
833 Posts
Here are some that i did with wood stain and it works awesome. They look a little darker in the pic than the actually are.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
I rub my sets here in the house with WD-40 and it makes them look pretty good. I would think it would help bring the look back to yours.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've never done it myself but have heard that shoe polish works well. How about some tips from a taxidermist who does this stuff all the time?

·
Registered
373 Posts
There are different ways to this.
We use potassium permagnate alot. It can scare someone when they first use it because it is purple when you mix it & apply to the antlers. But it does dry brown colored. We use alot of it on whitetail repairs , caribou that had the velvet stripped off and just recently a moose that was just fresh out of velvet.
Another method we use is to use oil paints thinned down.
I gave heard of the coffee ground method and the wood stains but we really like the results we get with potassium permagnate & the oil paints.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts