Archery Talk Forum banner

Weighted insert removal

443 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  SonnyThomas
I have some Carbon Express Maxima Red arrows I got from the pro shop a few months ago and they have black eagle inserts with screw in weights to give me a little more FOC and get me close to the weight of the old arrows I was shooting. I want to change the amount of weight (ordered some new weights) so I need to remove the inserts. My question is, do you guys think the old drill bit trick will work in this scenario or am I gonna snap the brass? First time playing with weights or weighted inserts. Thanks in advance for any and all help
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,876 Posts
Are the inserts put in with hot glue or epoxy? If they're hot glue, screw an old field point in and then heat it gently with a torch until you can twist and pull it out. The old drill bit trick is the only thing that I know of that will work with epoxy though.

In the future, use stainless steel inserts instead of brass. Brass is soft and can deform when you beat it up or have nasty impacts with bone or a rock after a pass-through. Stainless steel will not

· Back Yard Champion
35,971 Posts
Like Dale noted, they do make a long, long allen wrench. If glued the only recourse is to drive them out. I use a stainless steel rifle cleaning rod - heavy with a heavy handle. Some times takes quite a bit, but no where dangerous as slinging a drill down the shaft. Never have I had arrow crack or break.......

· Registered
6,836 Posts
Take the nock out. There is a long special made allen wrenches that you can remove the weights. No need to take inserts out.
This is want you want to do... many of the arrow manufacturers sell the accessory wrench; its specifically for removing the insert/point weights.
There is NO need to pound the inserts out.

· Registered
5,240 Posts
It depends on which brass weights they used, but last time I bought Black Eagle brass insert weights they did NOT have any notch or Allen fitting on the rear. The Gold Tip FACT weights do.

I had brass weights on some Black Eagle Spartan stainless inserts and I was able to remove them using the drill bit trick but it essentially ruined the brass (messed up the threads.

· Registered
6,749 Posts
All I can do is wish you good luck! I've never tried it with CE Maximas, but I've learned with VAPs, it's better not to even try to remove inserts. Another AT member reported he successfully removed inserts from 3 of 6 VAPs, ruining the other 3. It makes more economic sense to live with them or sell them to someone who wants them or will cut them at least 1" shorter, in my case.

· Registered
5,240 Posts
It was about 50/50 for me also with drill bit method. Broke/cracked several shafts. If it doesn’t start coming out after two or three wacks, stop trying.

· Registered
21,466 Posts
I've tried removing inserts for customers in the past from CX shafts. Best not do it, especially with brute force like the drill bit method. Unless the glue-up wasn't good to begin with, you'll damage the shaft, almost certainly.

· Back Yard Champion
35,971 Posts
Like Dale noted, they do make a long, long allen wrench. If glued the only recourse is to drive them out. I use a stainless steel rifle cleaning rod - heavy with a heavy handle. Some times takes quite a bit, but no where dangerous as slinging a drill down the shaft. Never have I had arrow crack or break.......
Found a picture - I have a flat brass tip in the end of the rod. Most all glue is subject to heat. Maybe insert end of arrow in boiling water might soften enough to give easier extraction. I don't care for flame like heat........

Product Wood Brown Property Text

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.